Odyssey - YouTube - Offline Movies - system freezes

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
klesterjr

Re: Odyssey - YouTube - Offline Movies - system freezes

Post by klesterjr »

Cyborg wrote:Hello,

unfortunately, no good news about this issue: It is definitely a hardware issue and not a fault of AmigaOS/AHI!
At the moment we are internally discussing all options and how to proceed with this, but whatever we do, these CMI soundcards with ASM1038, rev 1 bridge will never work without issues. So best advise we can give at the moment is to replace those cards with a different model.

Note that it seems to be pure coincidence, which revision of the ASMedia is on CMI8378 PCIe sound cards, so you should avoid those in general.

If you are unsure if your sound card suffers from the broken ASMedia bridge, use the attached test tool to find out. Just unpack and run.
Can you recommend a specific PCI-E card that has the correct rev (I'm trying to free up a PCI slot)? I've tried two cards so far and both have the problem. The chip rev number isn't specifically identified in any of the listings I've seen.

Thanks.
AmigaOne X5000 -- 5020/8gb, Radeon RX560 & X1950Pro, OS4, MOS, & Linux
AmigaOne A1222 -- 2gb, Radeon 6450, OS4 & Linux
Amiga 3000 -- 2mb chip/16mb fast, BFG9060 (rev6 68060 & 128mb), Picasso 4, Re-A4091, X-Surf 100
Cyborg
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Cyborg »

@ klesterjr

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if a CMI8738 PCIe card carries the problematic bridge revision or not before having a direct look at the chip printing (product numbers ending in "1B1" are problematic, others should work) or via Ranger/PCIScan/my test tool.

Which other PCIe sound cards work, I can't tell as I don't own any other PCIe cards myself :(
Please contact support@hyperion-entertainment.com rather than trying to send PMs to me. Thanks! :)
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

New cards should be more likely to have the revision 3 chip.
I got my card since 2013 for a supplier who specialized in liquidating older products .
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Cyborg
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Cyborg »

It's still gambling... you never know where your supplier got his supply from.
Please contact support@hyperion-entertainment.com rather than trying to send PMs to me. Thanks! :)
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

I am stirring up the pot.
I pre-orderd a couple from AmigaKit . :D
Cyborg wrote:It's still gambling... you never know where your supplier got his supply from.
Cyborg
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Cyborg »

Well, good luck then. AmigaKit is in this case basically A-EON and supplied most X5000 boards with the faulty sound cards in the first place.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

And it was probably a post by me some time ago that alerted them to the existence of the pciex1 versions of the cards .
http://wap.amigaworld.net/modules/newbb ... r=0#712857
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/vie ... 1&forum=14
The revision 1 versions actually seemed to work ok on a Sam460ex in the earlier versions of AmigaOS 4.1 .

Current Audio card collection
Envy24ht pciex1 ,Envy24ht pciex1, CMI8738 pciex1 (revision 1 ASM1083)
Soundblaster Live! PCI 3.3V , CMI8738 PCI 5V, FM801 PCI 5V .

There are AmiagaOS 4.1 drivers for all and apart from the CMI8738 pciex1 (with the Revison 1 ASM1083) they should all work with an X5000 .
Cyborg wrote:Well, good luck then. AmigaKit is in this case basically A-EON and supplied most X5000 boards with the faulty sound cards in the first place.
Attachments
Current Sound Card collection
Current Sound Card collection
klesterjr

Post by klesterjr »

Spectre660 wrote:New cards should be more likely to have the revision 3 chip.
I got my card since 2013 for a supplier who specialized in liquidating older products.
The PCI-E card that I have IS a new one -- or at least it was supposed to be! ;)

For now, I have switched back to the PCI card that came with the machine. It crashes (and the sound stops working) in exactly the same place as the PCI-E card, but it doesn't lock the system, so at least I can reboot cleanly. Unfortunately, I'm back to having no open PCI slots for a sata card.

I'm considering ordering a 2-3 more cards from different dealers in hopes of finding a working one (they're less than $20 each). I'll update the PCI card thread that I started if I find one.
AmigaOne X5000 -- 5020/8gb, Radeon RX560 & X1950Pro, OS4, MOS, & Linux
AmigaOne A1222 -- 2gb, Radeon 6450, OS4 & Linux
Amiga 3000 -- 2mb chip/16mb fast, BFG9060 (rev6 68060 & 128mb), Picasso 4, Re-A4091, X-Surf 100
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@klesterjr

An option for you may be to use one of your pciex1 slots with a pciex1 to pci adapter and and an extension cable to use a pci card. or network card without the extension cable.

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =17&t=3644
klesterjr wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:New cards should be more likely to have the revision 3 chip.
I got my card since 2013 for a supplier who specialized in liquidating older products.
The PCI-E card that I have IS a new one -- or at least it was supposed to be! ;)

For now, I have switched back to the PCI card that came with the machine. It crashes (and the sound stops working) in exactly the same place as the PCI-E card, but it doesn't lock the system, so at least I can reboot cleanly. Unfortunately, I'm back to having no open PCI slots for a sata card.

I'm considering ordering a 2-3 more cards from different dealers in hopes of finding a working one (they're less than $20 each). I'll update the PCI card thread that I started if I find one.
Radek

Post by Radek »

Cyborg wrote:@ klesterjr

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if a CMI8738 PCIe card carries the problematic bridge revision or not before having a direct look at the chip printing (product numbers ending in "1B1" are problematic, others should work) or via Ranger/PCIScan/my test tool.

Which other PCIe sound cards work, I can't tell as I don't own any other PCIe cards myself :(
I'm not sure if chips rev.1 with 1B1 are only ones that make troubles. I have two CMI8378 cards, it seems that they are rev.3 and 4
and behave as bad as rev.1.
Grab_15-sty-17_CMI_1odDolu1.png
Grab_15-sty-17_CMI+midi_1odDolu.png