Low level access to X5000 realtime clock

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Roland

Low level access to X5000 realtime clock

Post by Roland »

For unknown reason, I have not been able to get the realtime clock of my X5000 running. Any 'user level' operation has not have effect on it (changing battery; Time prefs; Setclock; U-boot/Date ; Linux). Only the date stamp is saved ( e.g. Setcklock save) and can be read (Setclock load).

So, I would like to ask what 'low level' commands are there for monitoring and changing the operation of the realtime clock? Are there available any ready-made developer tools to manipulate the clock?

BTW, where on the Cyrus+ board is the realtime clock located? How probable is it that it would be defective itself?
- Roland -
Cyborg
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Low level access to X5000 realtime clock

Post by Cyborg »

Hello,

moved the topic as this is much more a support question than a developer question.

Regarding your question: no, there are no other tools available than what you already got with AmigaOS: Prefs/Time and C:Date together with C:SetClock. As a matter of fact, I just verified that setting and saving the system time to the hardware clock is just working fine via AmigaOS on my X5000. And as you also mention that you are not able to set the clock via U-Boot nor from within Linux, it really seems you are suffering from a hardware issue.

Best suggestion I can give: contact your dealer/A-EON and open a support case there to get your mainboard replaced/repaired.
Please contact support@hyperion-entertainment.com rather than trying to send PMs to me. Thanks! :)
Ribdevil

Post by Ribdevil »

Roland wrote:For unknown reason, I have not been able to get the realtime clock of my X5000 running. Any 'user level' operation has not have effect on it (changing battery; Time prefs; Setclock; U-boot/Date ; Linux). Only the date stamp is saved ( e.g. Setcklock save) and can be read (Setclock load).

So, I would like to ask what 'low level' commands are there for monitoring and changing the operation of the realtime clock? Are there available any ready-made developer tools to manipulate the clock?

BTW, where on the Cyrus+ board is the realtime clock located? How probable is it that it would be defective itself?

I have the same problem, when I had just bought the equipment, and other problems related to keyboard ( No boot menu, I can't select boot partition, etc). All problems gone when I change the keyboard.

I think it is an USB problem ( hardware drivers), So the boot it's not well loaded.
Virginio
Cyborg
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Cyborg »

Huh? What has your (Ribdevil's) USB keyboard issue to do with Roland's inability to set the hardware clock?
Please contact support@hyperion-entertainment.com rather than trying to send PMs to me. Thanks! :)
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Roland wrote:For unknown reason, I have not been able to get the realtime clock of my X5000 running. Any 'user level' operation has not have effect on it (changing battery; Time prefs; Setclock; U-boot/Date ; Linux). Only the date stamp is saved ( e.g. Setcklock save) and can be read (Setclock load).
In addition to Cyborg's advice, I'd just like to ask: Did you try the command "Setclock RESET"? It might in some cases sort out an RTC which has gone "sour" (see "help setclock").

Best regards,

Niels
Roland

Post by Roland »

nbache wrote:
In addition to Cyborg's advice, I'd just like to ask: Did you try the command "Setclock RESET"? It might in some cases sort out an RTC which has gone "sour" (see "help setclock").
Yes, I have tried also SetClock RESET... I actually put these lines (as a workaround) into my Network-startup:

setclock reset
date >nil: server=pool.ntp.org port=123
setclock save

Before getting the time from net, the system clock always starts from the last date/time stamp saved using setclock save. So the realtime clock is not running a single second... But obviously it gets current from the battery as the time stamp is kept. If I remove the battery, it is of course lost.

I have also, just in case, tried to start my machine without any USB periferals connected, and let that script to set the time automatically, but it had no effect on this problem.

Is it possibe that any 'external' factor could affect the realtime clock? Or is it safely in it's own circuit?
- Roland -
Cyborg
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Cyborg »

Did you check the voltage of the battery?
A new battery should read about 3.2V, a healthy battery still above 3V. If the voltage of the battery clearly drops below 3V it may well cause all sorts of weird behaviour. As a new CR2032 costs only a few cents, I'd replace it if in doubt, just to be sure.
Ribdevil

Post by Ribdevil »

Cyborg wrote:Huh? What has your (Ribdevil's) USB keyboard issue to do with Roland's inability to set the hardware clock?

I don't know, but the syntoms are the same.
One more problem are, that the keyboard did not work during boot.

Virginio
Cyborg
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Cyborg »

Ahh... you *also* have the problem of a non-ticking realtime clock and *in addition* keyboard issues in U-Boot. And of course, only the keyboard issues were solved after you changed the keyboard.

Sorry, was a misunderstanding.

Anyway, your keyboard issues are an U-Boot issue, which is not our responsibility. Please contact A-EON support. And regarding the non-ticking realtime clock, if you also made sure it is no drained CR2032 battery, then you also should contact A-EON for support (or your dealer, who will likely point to A-EON as well).

But I'd really be interested, if it might not just a weak battery causing this problems..
Roland

Post by Roland »

Cyborg wrote:Did you check the voltage of the battery?
A new battery should read about 3.2V, a healthy battery still above 3V. If the voltage of the battery clearly drops below 3V it may well cause all sorts of weird behaviour. As a new CR2032 costs only a few cents, I'd replace it if in doubt, just to be sure.
I did try two new batteries taken from intact packages, and before inserting the second one, I used electronic spray to the battery socket, and also wiped carefully both sides of the battery... Unfortunately I do not have a voltage meter here, but to be absolutely sure, I will take them tomorrow to a computer service to be checked! I did, though, test the original battery in a A4000T, and it worked ok.
Last edited by Roland on Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Roland -