CD issues

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.

CD issues

Postby xenic » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:54 am

I got my X5000 yesterday and started setting up my system. In the process, I had several CD's in and out of the CD drive. I decided to D/L the X5000 install iso and burn a boot CD in case I messed something up. When I tried to burn a CD with MakeCD, it couldn't find CD0: so I tried several blank CDs that weren't found either. I used the assign command to confirm that there was a CD0: device and discovered 6 CD devices: CD1: through CD6: !! I changed the unit number in the MakeCD icon to 6 and inserted a fresh CD. It still couldn't find the CD. I gave up and burned the X5000 install CD on my X1000. What the heck is going on? Why is a new CD device mounted every time I put in a CD. If I decided to play CD's all day, I suppose I would end up with twenty CD devices (CD1: thru CD20:).

Is there a way to fix this problem? Is this a hardware issue or software issue? If software can I use the CDFilesystem from my X1000. Is there there something in UBoot I can change? Is there some jumper I can change.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:06 am

Re: CD issues

Postby Rigo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:23 am

IIRC, the hard disk driver is still, as yet, unfinished. So it possibly does not support CDs right now/

Simon
User avatar
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: CD issues

Postby broadblues » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:00 pm

xenic wrote:I got my X5000 yesterday and started setting up my system. In the process, I had several CD's in and out of the CD drive. I decided to D/L the X5000 install iso and burn a boot CD in case I messed something up. When I tried to burn a CD with MakeCD, it couldn't find CD0: so I tried several blank CDs that weren't found either. I used the assign command to confirm that there was a CD0: device and discovered 6 CD devices: CD1: through CD6: !! I changed the unit number in the MakeCD icon to 6 and inserted a fresh CD. It still couldn't find the CD. I gave up and burned the X5000 install CD on my X1000. What the heck is going on? Why is a new CD device mounted every time I put in a CD. If I decided to play CD's all day, I suppose I would end up with twenty CD devices (CD1: thru CD20:).

Is there a way to fix this problem? Is this a hardware issue or software issue? If software can I use the CDFilesystem from my X1000. Is there there something in UBoot I can change? Is there some jumper I can change.


MakeCD needs the ide / sata device and the unit number IIRC, the unit number will depend on which connector the DVD/CDRW drive is attached to, not the numerical number of the device name, that is totaly arbitrary and could as well be CDA: rather than CD0:

I don't know what the device is called on the x5k I'd guess it was sata5020.device or similar. So if your CD was attached to the second sata port you would need to enter satat5020.device unit 1 into the MakeCD settings. Having said that MakeCD can scan for drivers in the settings windows and should show which unit the device is attached to, if that doesn't work then perhaps write support isn't working yet.

WRT to the new CDnn: for each CD insterted, does reinserting a CD already insterted in that session get the same CDnn: as it got the first time? If so then it's working using the USB approach, as far as I understand the x5k driver uses mounter.library same as usb. That may or may not be intentional.
User avatar
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:40 am
Location: Portsmouth, UK

Re: CD issues

Postby Spectre660 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:20 pm

The following thread has the info on this .
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3617
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: CD issues

Postby xenic » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:22 pm

broadblues wrote:MakeCD needs the ide / sata device and the unit number IIRC, the unit number will depend on which connector the DVD/CDRW drive is attached to, not the numerical number of the device name, that is totaly arbitrary and could as well be CDA: rather than CD0:

I don't know what the device is called on the x5k I'd guess it was sata5020.device or similar. So if your CD was attached to the second sata port you would need to enter satat5020.device unit 1 into the MakeCD settings. Having said that MakeCD can scan for drivers in the settings windows and should show which unit the device is attached to, if that doesn't work then perhaps write support isn't working yet.

WRT to the new CDnn: for each CD insterted, does reinserting a CD already insterted in that session get the same CDnn: as it got the first time? If so then it's working using the USB approach, as far as I understand the x5k driver uses mounter.library same as usb. That may or may not be intentional.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work the way you describe. If I perform a "mountinfo" command on the CD drive by the DOS device name (CD1: CD2: CD3: etc.), each one shows a unit number that is the same as the number in the DOS device name. In other words CD1: has a unit number of 1, CD2: has a unit number of 2 and so on. The device names are assigned when a CD is inserted (like USB).

Any program that has a DOS device name in the prefs or tooltypes isn't going to find the CD. As a result, I couldn't get PlayCD to work normally; I had to insert the CD, determine what the device name was and edit the PlayCD tooltypes so it would find the CD. In addition, FormatCDRW won't work and AmiDVD might present problems too. In addition to the DOS device name problem, I think MakeCD expects a scsi device (not sure).

My X5000 came with instructions to register my OS4 with Hyperion and downlod the iso from the WEB site. There was no mention of the fact that I would need to burn the iso image on another computer. Hopefully this issue will get resolved very soon.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:06 am

Re: CD issues

Postby xenic » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Rigo wrote:IIRC, the hard disk driver is still, as yet, unfinished. So it possibly does not support CDs right now/
Simon

It just supports them in a strange way.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:06 am

Re: CD issues

Postby Spectre660 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:35 pm

Possible workarounds for now are
(1) to copy the OS .iso to USB thumb drive (dd or image copy)
(2) connect your DVD via a PCI SATA card
(3) use an external USB DVD drive
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat


Return to Platform: AmigaOne X5000

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron