New X5000 owner - USB issues

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Raziel

Re: New X5000 owner - USB issues

Post by Raziel »

tonyw wrote:The common problem here is U-Boot. Note that it doesn't fail with CFE on the X1k.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to get any maintenance performed on the X5k's U-Boot, since it was not done by Hyperion and we devs have no sources for it.
Huh?

I thought UBoot was used explicitely for the X5000 *because* it was updated to work with the new hardware?
If there are no sources for it, why did they even use it then?

And what about CFE?
Why did they switch from UBoot to CFE for the X1K and then back to using UBoot?

I don't get it and every day that passes i start to understand less...

If there are no sources for it, is the UBoot version used in the X5K the old one they already used in the X1K?

Why not develop CFE further?

Edit: Sorry for the OT
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
xenic

Post by xenic »

Raziel wrote: If there are no sources for it, is the UBoot version used in the X5K the old one they already used in the X1K
Read Tony's post again. He is saying that the OS4 developers don't have the source code. If you stop the initial boot (UBoot) and check out the menus, you will see the option to boot MorphOS which was not in any previous versions of UBoot. I'm guessing that it's A-Eon that has the sources to X5000 UBoot.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

xenic wrote:
Raziel wrote: If there are no sources for it, is the UBoot version used in the X5K the old one they already used in the X1K
Read Tony's post again. He is saying that the OS4 developers don't have the source code. If you stop the initial boot (UBoot) and check out the menus, you will see the option to boot MorphOS which was not in any previous versions of UBoot. I'm guessing that it's A-Eon that has the sources to X5000 UBoot.
Ah, missed that bit

Thanks

Still i wonder why switching back and forth from UBoot to CFE and vice versa was necessary...politics, i guess
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

Raziel wrote:Still i wonder why switching back and forth from UBoot to CFE and vice versa was necessary...politics, i guess
There is nothing political going on. The board manufacturer chose what firmware to use which was dictated by the project parameters at the time.

A-EON has the latest copies of all the firmware being used on their boards and any developer can get access to it if they just ask.
ExecSG Team Lead
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

ssolie wrote:
Raziel wrote:Still i wonder why switching back and forth from UBoot to CFE and vice versa was necessary...politics, i guess
There is nothing political going on. The board manufacturer chose what firmware to use which was dictated by the project parameters at the time.

A-EON has the latest copies of all the firmware being used on their boards and any developer can get access to it if they just ask.
And is it planned to roll out that "latest firmware" to end users aswell?

e.g. X1K CFE...i'd like to have the startup speed set from 4 to 5(max) by default
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
xenic

Re: New X5000 owner - USB issues (RESOLVED)

Post by xenic »

I've resolved my USB IO issues by connecting a USB2 HUB to X5000 and plugging my MS wireless mouse into the HUB. Wired MS keyboard and wireless MS mouse have been working flawlessly for about a week. USB3 HUBS don't seem to fix the problem even though they are supposedly backward compatible.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Raziel wrote:
ssolie wrote:

And is it planned to roll out that "latest firmware" to end users aswell?

e.g. X1K CFE...i'd like to have the startup speed set from 4 to 5(max) by default
I think you are misinterpreting the phrase "latest coppies" to imply version more recent than the publicly available ones already exist. Certainly with CE we have the latest that I'm aware of already. I'm not sure f more work has ben done on x5k UBoot, but the bug tracker for new issues on that is at the aeon bugtracker.

Personally I don't knowe if I'd risk bricking my x1k for a boot speed tweak (can't that be set with a variable anyway?)

The Uboot USB issues are clearly more important for x5k owners.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@broadblues

The "speed parameter" was, of course, just one example and no, you can not change it, even if you do, the max speed is set in the internal settings and won't go beyond 4 (of 5)

I'd vote for a fix to the infamous "Not enough memory" CFE bug with some SSD drives on turning the machine on, but that is probably "not important" as well.
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg