X5000 Proven to Work Hardware List

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Acill

X5000 Proven to Work Hardware List

Post by Acill »

I've been all over this forum looking for a definitive list of known working hardware. It's thrown all over multiple threads. After spending well over $2000 on a machine I think us owners deserve a list with links to known good hardware thats tested and proven to be as stable as it can be. My machine came with a PCIe network card that didn't work and a sound card that's giving me trouble. That's unacceptable! Can we please start a list below?
xenic

Re: X5000 Proven to Work Hardware List

Post by xenic »

Acill wrote: Can we please start a list below?
My "Sound Blaster Live! SB0220" PCI card is working so far. I bought it used several years ago. If you don't want to risk much money for a sound card to test, there always seem to be cheap used ones on ebay.

My network card seems to work so far. I'm not sure if some freezes are caused by applications or the network card/driver. Ranger shows the card as a "Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller". However, the OS4 rtl8169.device driver is for a PCI card, which might be a factor if there are problems with the controller.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

I am using this PCIe sound card: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 0017-00001

Works, but it's not great. A get a few pops upon booting and there's no pins for connecting for the case mic/headphone. Still, it's damn cheap. Note that mine has the Revision 3 ASM1083 chip, which I believe is significant but impossible to know at time of purchase what you'll get.

I am using this PCI network card: http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/ ... -3269.html TP-Link TG-3269. Damn cheap and works like a charm.

This is my PCIe graphics card: http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdeti ... 3&lang=eng Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB DDR5. I had alot of drama getting this to work and I'm not sure why. Initially, I had this connected with an HDMI cable. The splash screen would load, but not Workbench. I was able to get up and running with another GFX card taken from a SAM. Installed everything from Hans, but still no luck. Then played around with a DVI connection, and it worked. Then went back to HDMI and it started working. ???

I also have a generic SIL3112 PCI card to add 2 extra HDDs. Works fine, as long as you plug the cables in properly... ;)
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Network cards:
There are drivers for RTL8139 and 8169 PCI cards. They are cheap as dirt and guaranteed to work. One betatester claimed to be able to use an 8168 with the 8169 driver, but that combination is not guaranteed to work.

Audio cards:
The only audio card that will not work is the CMI8738 with the Rev 1 bridge (both PCI and PCI-e versions*). As DaveyW said, you take the risk in buying one, that you will get a card with the (good) Rev 3 bridge. See DaveyW's post above. All other audio cards work OK (those for which there are built-in drivers).

SATA cards:
Only the SiI3114 PCI has a problem (slow writes). I have not tested any SiI PCI-e cards. All other PCI SiI cards work OK.

USB:
Some people have reported attachment problems with mouses and keyboards. Personally I have about half a dozen different brands here and they all work flawlessly. I can't name any that consistently give problems.

* Thanks to Spectre660 for the correction.
Last edited by tonyw on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
tony
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@ tonyw

Some pci CMI8738 cards don't work .

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =50#p42362
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
outrun1978

Post by outrun1978 »

ok might as well add what works with my X5000 :-)

Graphics card Club 3D Radeon R7 250E LP DDR5 (Rebadged Radeon HD7750)
Sound Card Envy 24HT card
Joysticks: Logitech F-310 joypad wired, Xeox Controller wired, Competition Pro USB
Keyboard: Ducky Zero DK2108SZ or Microsoft Wireless 800
Mouse: A-Eon/Amigaone wired mouse or Microsoft Wireless mouse
USB hub 4 port triangular
Card reader Sandisk Imagemate All in one S60630
Sata Card SIL3512 sata controller
2 x Sandisk 120GB SSD cards

Numerous USB flash drives of various sizes up to 64GB, Sandisk/Lenovo/Toshiba

Connect to Nokia 6 phone (running Android 7.0) via USB for PTP picture and video transfer
xenic

Post by xenic »

tonyw wrote: Network cards:
There are drivers for RTL8139 and 8169 PCI cards. They are cheap as dirt and guaranteed to work. One betatester claimed to be able to use an 8168 with the 8169 driver, but that combination is not guaranteed to work.
My system came with an 8168 PCI-e that's using the 8169 driver and it works. However, I still haven't determined if some Odyssey freezes are being caused by Odyssey or the network card.
USB:
Some people have reported attachment problems with mouses and keyboards. Personally I have about half a dozen different brands here and they all work flawlessly. I can't name any that consistently give problems.
I'm using a MicroSoft Wireless Mouse 5000 and have had attachment issues. However, I had been plugging the wireless mouse into a front USB port. I'm now testing with the wireless mouse plugged into a rear port on a USB extension cable and so far it seems to be working better. Have you been plugging your mice into a front or rear USB port?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Acill

Post by Acill »

Okay, great start! I will list what I have so far.

My system now seems very stable since replacing every single card it came with other than the video card. Sad a $2000 new machine had to have 10 year old used hardware installed to get it running well.

Audio PCI is a Sound Blaster Live! It sounds amazing. (My machine came with a PCI CMI8738 from SIIG that would stop working within 10 minutes)
Network PCI is a Trendnet RTL8130 1-/100 card I stole out of my 4000T mediator setup. (System came with a PCIe TP-Link RTL8169 that wouldnt work after a reboot or power cycle without deleting it and adding settings again)
Video Card is an EVGA Radeon R250X PCIe. I have also tested an R280X OC from EVGA but the power goes in from the side and the drive bay is in the way and wont allow it to have the case door on if its installed. Poor case design is all that is. Card is awesome though.

I also had a generic PCI SATA-I card that worked great, but losing the PCIe Network card forced me to remove it to put in the PCI one.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Acill wrote:System came with a PCIe TP-Link RTL8169 that wouldnt work after a reboot or power cycle without deleting it and adding settings again
Perhaps you should fix the software setup of your 8169 PCI-e network card. Others use them without a hitch, so it's almost certainly only a setup problem in your case. I've seen some discussion but I can't find the thread, so please remind me and I'll see if I can help.
cheers
tony
Acill

Post by Acill »

tonyw wrote:
Acill wrote:System came with a PCIe TP-Link RTL8169 that wouldnt work after a reboot or power cycle without deleting it and adding settings again
Perhaps you should fix the software setup of your 8169 PCI-e network card. Others use them without a hitch, so it's almost certainly only a setup problem in your case. I've seen some discussion but I can't find the thread, so please remind me and I'll see if I can help.
I think the card itself is bad. Nothing has worked after trying everyhting recomended.