Settings to play YouTube video in Odyssey on X5K

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

Settings to play YouTube video in Odyssey on X5K

Post by amigasociety »

Is there some settings I need to tweek to play videos in Odyssey from YouTube?

I start a video and it is choppy from the get go and then the voice and video fall off track with one another and then it just stops completely.

Wondering if some settings need to be adjusted or Spoof As needs to be changed or something?

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Re: Settings to play YouTube video in Odyssey on X5K

Post by amigasociety »

Example, I just watched a video, spoofed as Firefox 25 on Windows this time, and it started OK. Tad choppy but usable. Then after a minute or so the sound died, video became slow motion, well like 1/8 of slow motion so even slower, and that was it.

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

amigasociety wrote:Is there some settings I need to tweek to play videos in Odyssey from YouTube?

TJ
I don't think so, I think its like that because we lack access to the hardware decoders in our Radeon drivers.

Lower videos settings seem OK, 480 is *just* acceptable to me.

I would recommend SMTube for viewing Youtube videos.
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

amigasociety wrote:Example, I just watched a video, spoofed as Firefox 25 on Windows this time, and it started OK. Tad choppy but usable. Then after a minute or so the sound died, video became slow motion, well like 1/8 of slow motion so even slower, and that was it.

TJ
Sound dying could be your sound card, users have reported incompatibilities that manifest themselves in audio dying in YouTube. There's a thread here somewhere about it.
outrun1978

Post by outrun1978 »

@Amigasociety

I find spoofing as IPad brings up a larger screen when playing the video in Odyssey, it will stream without too many issues in 360p. Anything higher will depend on how it has been coded.

As others have pointed out I would recommend using SMtube wherever possible if am honest. You can get good streaming results in 480p and even fullscreen 720p streaming into Mplayer or Emotion providing it supports the codecs.
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

There should really be this huge sign or watermark for new people on the computer/os that says: warning! do not use odyssey for playing videos! use either emotion or mplayer with either streaming directly with YT or via smtube. Then even some 1080p videos are possible (the star wars trailer is in 1080p and works really well here on the X1k with a SI card).
ddni

Post by ddni »

@srtest
Agreed. Smtube setup with Emotion player is a super workaround. Maybe one day we will get full HD video in a browser, but until then, this will do ;)