How to make bootable USB Drive of Amiga OS 4.1FE CD

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

How to make bootable USB Drive of Amiga OS 4.1FE CD

Post by amigasociety »

Is there a step-by-step posted someplace that shows how I can create an exact copy of my Amiga OS 4.1FE CD I received with my X5K onto a USB Thumb Drive so I can boot from it and install Amiga OS in case my internal CD/DVD ever bites it or I opt to get rid of it. These days many are going CD/DVD less and I may do the same as long as I can have a bootable USB device with the full Amiga OS X5K INstaller as shipped to me.

Thanks

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Spectre660

Re: How to make bootable USB Drive of Amiga OS 4.1FE CD

Post by Spectre660 »

It is very simple for the X5000 .
All you need to do is copy the downloaded .iso file to the USB drive.
You can do this with the AmigaOS 4.1 command Rawdisk.
Rawdisk is located in the AmigaOS 4.1 Utilities directory .

Code: Select all

rawdisk from Downloads:AmigaOneX5000InstallCD-53.25.iso to usb0:
If you were not provided with a copy of the X5000 AmigaOS 4.1 .iso file on your hard drive then you need to register your AmigOS 4.1 for the X5000 on
the Hyperion Website ( If you have not registered it already) and then download the lha archive and extract .iso file from it.
http://www.hyperion-entertainment.biz/
amigasociety wrote:Is there a step-by-step posted someplace that shows how I can create an exact copy of my Amiga OS 4.1FE CD I received with my X5K onto a USB Thumb Drive so I can boot from it and install Amiga OS in case my internal CD/DVD ever bites it or I opt to get rid of it. These days many are going CD/DVD less and I may do the same as long as I can have a bootable USB device with the full Amiga OS X5K INstaller as shipped to me.

Thanks

TJ
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

OK I tried this but get an error message.

I downloaded the .iso from my Hyperion account.

In shell I typed rawdisk from "MEDIA:Amiga OS X5000/AmigaOneX5000InstallCD-53.25.iso" to usb0: and then got this message.

Default start block = 51096480
Default number blocks = 1902428688
The output file will be approximately 3224 MB

Do you wish to continue (Y/N) and I type y

Internal error Device does not support 64 - bit adressing

The USB device I have is a new 16GB Thumb drive formatted as NGFileSystem (NGF/00) and set to bootable when I formatted it.

Any more advice would be cool.

Do I need to do something different for my USB stick? or is this error an rawdisk issue?

Thanks

TJ
Spectre660 wrote:It is very simple for the X5000 .
All you need to do is copy the downloaded .iso file to the USB drive.
You can do this with the AmigaOS 4.1 command Rawdisk.
Rawdisk is located in the AmigaOS 4.1 Utilities directory .

Code: Select all

rawdisk from Downloads:AmigaOneX5000InstallCD-53.25.iso to usb0:
If you were not provided with a copy of the X5000 AmigaOS 4.1 .iso file on your hard drive then you need to register your AmigOS 4.1 for the X5000 on
the Hyperion Website ( If you have not registered it already) and then download the lha archive and extract .iso file from it.
http://www.hyperion-entertainment.biz/
amigasociety wrote:Is there a step-by-step posted someplace that shows how I can create an exact copy of my Amiga OS 4.1FE CD I received with my X5K onto a USB Thumb Drive so I can boot from it and install Amiga OS in case my internal CD/DVD ever bites it or I opt to get rid of it. These days many are going CD/DVD less and I may do the same as long as I can have a bootable USB device with the full Amiga OS X5K INstaller as shipped to me.

Thanks

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

The start block is causing the problem. It needs to start from block 0 .
Try with a Windows type NTFS (Not NGFS) formatted USB Drive.

Edited as the Media Toolbox Install from AmigaOS no longer shows a drive icon after reboot.
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Spectre660 wrote:The start block is causing the problem. It needs to start from block 0 .

Edited as the Media Toolbox Install from AmigaOS no longer shows a drive icon after reboot.
Sorry, must be a block-head as I have tried several other USB sticks I have and all do the same. Most of them at some point were formated Fat so I could transfer stuff from them to older systems. Even formatting one as NTFS on a loonix box I get the same error message in rawdisk.

Also tried erasing a 64GB thumb drive on my Mac to Fat and get the same error message.

Guess I am just not getting how to erase and format one correct to try this rawdisk feature in Amiga OS.

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Ok.
Try this .

Prepare the USB drive with Media toolbox under AmigaOS 4.1. use the Install option . (Select Device USBdisk.device)
Add a partition. Note the partition name .Save changes to disk and reboot.
The formatted USB drive icon should show up on your Workbench on reboot .EG: ZZ1:Unitialized
Use the partition name that you noted above to as the rawdisk "to" drive name .

rawdisk from Data:Downloads/AmigaOneX5000InstallCD-53.25.iso to zz1:

you should get a warning

Default start block = 0
You are about to write over the RDB area of the disk (ZZ1).
You will probably destroy ALL partitions on the disk.

Do you wish to continue?

Press y and it should write correctly

amigasociety wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:The start block is causing the problem. It needs to start from block 0 .

Sorry, must be a block-head as I have tried several other USB sticks I have and all do the same. Most of them at some point were formated Fat so I could transfer stuff from them to older systems. Even formatting one as NTFS on a loonix box I get the same error message in rawdisk.

Guess I am just not getting how to erase and format one correct to try this rawdisk feature in Amiga OS.

TJ
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Sorry, after a partition on the USB stick in Media Toolbox and save and reboot, then rawdisk... the start block does not show 0. Shows the same # as before. Hence I get the same error message again when trying it.

Its name was DH0 btw. So that is what I in my rawdisk command.

Is there anything in the Disk Characteristics I supposed to be modifying and saving there too? Maybe that is where I am lost.

Don't see anything about starting block there I can type in 0 as an example.

TJ
Spectre660 wrote:
Default start block = 0
You are about to write over the RDB area of the disk (ZZ1).
You will probably destroy ALL partitions on the disk.

Do you wish to continue?

Press y and it should write correctly

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Is the USB drive showing as uninitialized after rebooting from media toolbox ?
If not then you need to press "Install/read configuration" in the RDB/disk geomety editing window in Media Toolbox to
reset the write area on the USB drive .
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Spectre660 wrote:Is the USB drive showing as uninitialized after rebooting from media toolbox ?
If not then you need to press "Install/read configuration" in the RDB/disk geomety editing window in Media Toolbox to
reset the write area on the USB drive .
Yes, right now DH0:Uninitialized is what mounted.

I tried two different USB Thumb drives.

Same issue... neither shows starting block 0.... so unless I supposed to modify the drive in Media Toolbox someplace to make it start at 0 (I don't see where I can do that), it wants to start at some 51096480 ... then I get the same internal error device does not support 64-bit

And yes, I am clicking the Install/Read Configurations button and allowing it to erase by clicking Yes button... and saving after that.

TJ

*Is there something I supposed to modify in the disk characteristics window? Logical size is blocks per cylinder 64, etc... etc... whatever is there I have left.

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
xenic

Post by xenic »

amigasociety wrote: Its name was DH0 btw. So that is what I in my rawdisk command.
That name is a bad idea since the system partition on your hard drive is usually DH0. You don't have to accept the default device name that Media Toolbox shows in the "Edit Partitions" window. You can click in the string gadget beside the "Name:" label and change the device name. I would suggest something like UD0 or UD1.

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that if your hard-disk system partition is DH0: and you create a partition on the USB drive named DHO: then it's possible rawdisk could copy to your system partition and wipe out your ability to boot from your hard-disk. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I'd play it safe and use a different device name on the USB.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE