How to make bootable USB Drive of Amiga OS 4.1FE CD

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Spectre660

Re: How to make bootable USB Drive of Amiga OS 4.1FE CD

Post by Spectre660 »

See this post above .
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =10#p42562
xenic wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:@ xenic
Sorry I should have mentioned that if you are booting from USB you use the boot from mass storage u-boot menu option .
In that case, my USB thumb drive with the install iso is working as it should. I do have another question though. Prior to reading this forum topic, I had formatted a USB thumb drive with NGFS and copied my System partition to the thumb drive. I can cold boot from that thumb drive using the UBoot menu option. Is there any reason why a user couldn't use diskimage.device to copy the files from the install ISO to an NGFS formatted thumb drive and use that thumb drive to cold boot from the MassStorage UBoot menu to install OS4.x ??
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Well I made a boot USB stick from my loonix box. Used an app called MultiWriter that supposed to write an .ISO to USB sticks. Appeared to work OK.

Slapped the USB stick in my X5K in the rear of the machine (not front case ports) and got myself to the early boot menu, selected boot from mass storage, and I get a command prompt. I type boot and it starts. I get a large 640x480ish screen with Workbench Screen as the title and down below it says booting. Cursor can move during this time but it never gets past that. Just stays there for hours. hehe.

Maybe I will try a DD command in loonix and make the stick again.

This is the .ISO I downloaded from Hyperion, AmigaOneX5000InstallCD-53.25.iso

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Hmm, just made another USB stick but from Mac this time. Using DD command. Same thing... starts to boot from USB stick and hangs but with cursor alive at the boot screen for the Installer. Will let it go for 30 minutes. See what happens before I create an ISO myself of my know good CD I got with my X5K. TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Strike 3. All hang at the boot screen when booting from mass media device.

#1 MultiWrite from Linux created a copy of the .ISO I downloaded from Hyperion. Failed to boot past 640x480ish Workbench screen that say's booting. Cursor still moves though. At the Mass Media command line that pops up I am typing BOOTA... is that correct or my issue? Not sure what else to type.

#2 used DD command on Mac in Terminal to make a USB stick. Used the same downloaded .ISO I got from Hyperion. Same issue above, hangs at boot screen.

#3 Used Backup App in Amiga OS 4.1 to create a full backup of my Amiga OS X5K Installer CD direct to the formatted in NGF/00 4GB USB Stick. Same as above, get to early boot screen, select boot from Mass Media and at prompt type BOOTA, and it starts booting but hangs at booting screen.

Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

I don't have to type boota after selecting boot from mass storage.

Seem as if something in your U-boot settings or version may bes different or some other USB device may be preventing it from stating automatically .
xenic

Post by xenic »

amigasociety wrote: get to early boot screen, select boot from Mass Media and at prompt type BOOTA,
Either you have a different version of UBoot or you're doing something different than I am. Here is a step-by-step description of how I'm booting from the USB thumb drive.

1. Turn on your system or press the reset button.
2. When the Boot screen with X5000 logo appears, wait for the animation to start.
3. When the animation starts, press the space-bar on your keyboard.
4. When a menu window opens, scroll down to the "Boot Options..." block using the keyboard down arrow.
5. Press Enter on the keyboard when the "Boot Options.." block is highlighted.
6. When a second menu appears, scroll down to the "Boot from Mass Storage" block using the keyboard down arrow.
7. Press Enter on the keyboard when the "Boot from Mass Storage" block is highlighted.
8. Text appears in the upper left of the window as UBoot finds and loads Kickstart.
9. The OS4.1 logo appears for a few seconds and then the Install screen opens.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Yeh, that is what I am doing, step by step. Other than mine goes to command prompt when I select the mass media device option and I have to type something.

Wonder how one can see and print out what uBoot I have and settings I have versus yours as an example.

Maybe that can tell me if my uBoot is different.

TJ
xenic wrote:
amigasociety wrote: get to early boot screen, select boot from Mass Media and at prompt type BOOTA,
Either you have a different version of UBoot or you're doing something different than I am. Here is a step-by-step description of how I'm booting from the USB thumb drive.

1. Turn on your system or press the reset button.
2. When the Boot screen with X5000 logo appears, wait for the animation to start.
3. When the animation starts, press the space-bar on your keyboard.
4. When a menu window opens, scroll down to the "Boot Options..." block using the keyboard down arrow.
5. Press Enter on the keyboard when the "Boot Options.." block is highlighted.
6. When a second menu appears, scroll down to the "Boot from Mass Storage" block using the keyboard down arrow.
7. Press Enter on the keyboard when the "Boot from Mass Storage" block is highlighted.
8. Text appears in the upper left of the window as UBoot finds and loads Kickstart.
9. The OS4.1 logo appears for a few seconds and then the Install screen opens.

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
xenic

Post by xenic »

amigasociety wrote:Wonder how one can see and print out what uBoot I have and settings I have versus yours as an example.
I haven't seen any UBoot docs like I got with my X1000 so I'm not sure how you get your UBoot version. Maybe Spectre660 knows how to get that. The only thing I can show you right now is what is printed when I enter "NVGetvar" in an amiga shell:

Code: Select all

amigaboot_quiet=Y
baudrate=115200
bdev=sda3
bootargs=root=/dev/sda2 mem=3500M console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
bootargs_live=root=/dev/ramdisk boot=casper mem=3500M ro --
bootargs_live_debug=root=/dev/ramdisk boot=casper mem=3500M ro break debug
bootcmd=setenv bootargs root=/dev/$bdev rw console=$consoledev,$baudrate $othbootargs;tftp $loadaddr $bootfile;tftp $fdtaddr $fdtfile;bootm $loadaddr - $fdtaddr
bootdelay=10
bootdvd=scsi reset ; load scsi 0 2000000 boot_dvd ; bootm 2000000
bootfile=uImage
consoledev=ttyS0
ethact=FM1@DTSEC4
ethernetboot=echo Running Ethernet Boot
ethprime=FM1@DTSEC4
fdtaddr=c00000
fman_ucode=7fe73380
harddiskboot=echo Running Hard Disk Boot
hwconfig=fsl_ddr:ctlr_intlv=cacheline,bank_intlv=cs0_cs1;usb1:dr_mode=host,phy_type=utmi;usb2:dr_mode=host,phy_type=utmi
linuxboot=echo Running Linux
liveusb=usb start ; setenv bootargs_live_debug ; ext2load usb 1:1 2000000 boot_dvd ; bootm 2000000
loadaddr=1000000
loadbmps=mmc read 0x10005000 0x500 0x200; mmc read 0x20000000 0x10000 0x20000
massboot=usb reset ; boota
mos=bootmorphos
netdev=eth0
nfsboot=setenv bootargs root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=$serverip:$rootpath ip=$ipaddr:$serverip:$gatewayip:$netmask:$hostname:$netdev:off console=$consoledev,$baudrate $othbootargs;tftp $loadaddr $bootfile;tftp $fdtaddr $fdtfile;bootm $loadaddr - $fdtaddr
opticalboot=echo Running Optical Boot
preboot=run loadbmps;bmp d 0x20000000;ami
ramboot=setenv bootargs root=/dev/ram rw console=$consoledev,$baudrate $othbootargs;tftp $ramdiskaddr $ramdiskfile;tftp $loadaddr $bootfile;tftp $fdtaddr $fdtfile;bootm $loadaddr $ramdiskaddr $fdtaddr
ramdiskaddr=2000000
ramdiskfile=ramdisk.uboot
rootpath=/opt/nfsroot
scsidevs=0
stdin=usbkbd,serial
stdout=serial,vga
uboot=u-boot.bin
ubootaddr=0xFFF80000
You can compare that with what prints in a shell when you enter NVGetvar. Take note of the line that says "massboot=usb reset ; boota" which might mean something but I don't know what.

EDIT: I selected the UBoot menu to get to a command prompt and entered "version" with this result:
U-Boot 2014.04 (Oct 17 2016-08:22:22)

I then entered "run massboot" and my system booted from the USB thumb drive :-)
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Yeh, I will have to get uBoot version still but mine does have something different than yours.

massboot=echo Running Mass Storage Boot

Will try to get version of my uBoot soon.

I did noticed I needed to plug my USB stick in after the system was in the early boot menu. Otherwise it appeared the device could not be seen. Maybe that is why your reset usb and then boot A that I been manually typing had to happen.

TJ
xenic wrote:
amigasociety wrote:Wonder how one can see and print out what uBoot I have and settings I have versus yours as an example.
I haven't seen any UBoot docs like I got with my X1000 so I'm not sure how you get your UBoot version. Maybe Spectre660 knows how to get that. The only thing I can show you right now is what is printed when I enter "NVGetvar" in an amiga shell:

Code: Select all

amigaboot_quiet=Y
baudrate=115200
bdev=sda3
bootargs=root=/dev/sda2 mem=3500M console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
bootargs_live=root=/dev/ramdisk boot=casper mem=3500M ro --
bootargs_live_debug=root=/dev/ramdisk boot=casper mem=3500M ro break debug
bootcmd=setenv bootargs root=/dev/$bdev rw console=$consoledev,$baudrate $othbootargs;tftp $loadaddr $bootfile;tftp $fdtaddr $fdtfile;bootm $loadaddr - $fdtaddr
bootdelay=10
bootdvd=scsi reset ; load scsi 0 2000000 boot_dvd ; bootm 2000000
bootfile=uImage
consoledev=ttyS0
ethact=FM1@DTSEC4
ethernetboot=echo Running Ethernet Boot
ethprime=FM1@DTSEC4
fdtaddr=c00000
fman_ucode=7fe73380
harddiskboot=echo Running Hard Disk Boot
hwconfig=fsl_ddr:ctlr_intlv=cacheline,bank_intlv=cs0_cs1;usb1:dr_mode=host,phy_type=utmi;usb2:dr_mode=host,phy_type=utmi
linuxboot=echo Running Linux
liveusb=usb start ; setenv bootargs_live_debug ; ext2load usb 1:1 2000000 boot_dvd ; bootm 2000000
loadaddr=1000000
loadbmps=mmc read 0x10005000 0x500 0x200; mmc read 0x20000000 0x10000 0x20000
massboot=usb reset ; boota
mos=bootmorphos
netdev=eth0
nfsboot=setenv bootargs root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=$serverip:$rootpath ip=$ipaddr:$serverip:$gatewayip:$netmask:$hostname:$netdev:off console=$consoledev,$baudrate $othbootargs;tftp $loadaddr $bootfile;tftp $fdtaddr $fdtfile;bootm $loadaddr - $fdtaddr
opticalboot=echo Running Optical Boot
preboot=run loadbmps;bmp d 0x20000000;ami
ramboot=setenv bootargs root=/dev/ram rw console=$consoledev,$baudrate $othbootargs;tftp $ramdiskaddr $ramdiskfile;tftp $loadaddr $bootfile;tftp $fdtaddr $fdtfile;bootm $loadaddr $ramdiskaddr $fdtaddr
ramdiskaddr=2000000
ramdiskfile=ramdisk.uboot
rootpath=/opt/nfsroot
scsidevs=0
stdin=usbkbd,serial
stdout=serial,vga
uboot=u-boot.bin
ubootaddr=0xFFF80000
You can compare that with what prints in a shell when you enter NVGetvar. Take note of the line that says "massboot=usb reset ; boota" which might mean something but I don't know what.

EDIT: I selected the UBoot menu to get to a command prompt and entered "version" with this result:
U-Boot 2014.04 (Oct 17 2016-08:22:22)

I then entered "run massboot" and my system booted from the USB thumb drive :-)

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

I have the same u-boot version .