How to make bootable USB Drive of Amiga OS 4.1FE CD

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

Re: How to make bootable USB Drive of Amiga OS 4.1FE CD

Post by amigasociety »

xenic wrote:
amigasociety wrote: Its name was DH0 btw. So that is what I in my rawdisk command.
That name is a bad idea since the system partition on your hard drive is usually DH0. You don't have to accept the default device name that Media Toolbox shows in the "Edit Partitions" window. You can click in the string gadget beside the "Name:" label and change the device name. I would suggest something like UD0 or UD1.

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that if your hard-disk system partition is DH0: and you create a partition on the USB drive named DHO: then it's possible rawdisk could copy to your system partition and wipe out your ability to boot from your hard-disk. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I'd play it safe and use a different device name on the USB.
I have renamed them other names too... but as for my main HDD, those are named System, etc... so not DH0... but yes get whatcha mean.

Also just saw one of my USB ports on the case is dead. I sense one of my USB sticks buggered it up. Was always a tight fit. Anyway....

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Not sure what is going wrong.

Suggestion for now is try on a different machine or OS (Linux or Windows) .
For Windows USB-Image-tool works for me .
http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/

from Linux the dd command should work.
sudo dd if='/media/julian/NTFS/AmigaOneX5000InstallCD-53.25.iso' of=/dev/sdb

amigasociety wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:Is the USB drive showing as uninitialized after rebooting from media toolbox ?
If not then you need to press "Install/read configuration" in the RDB/disk geomety editing window in Media Toolbox to
reset the write area on the USB drive .
Yes, right now DH0:Uninitialized is what mounted.

I tried two different USB Thumb drives.

Same issue... neither shows starting block 0.... so unless I supposed to modify the drive in Media Toolbox someplace to make it start at 0 (I don't see where I can do that), it wants to start at some 51096480 ... then I get the same internal error device does not support 64-bit

And yes, I am clicking the Install/Read Configurations button and allowing it to erase by clicking Yes button... and saving after that.

TJ

*Is there something I supposed to modify in the disk characteristics window? Logical size is blocks per cylinder 64, etc... etc... whatever is there I have left.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Me neither.... believe I am doing it right but maybe I am not.

Nice to have a self sufficient Amiga but if I can't do it here, will dd elsewhere. :lol:

TJ
Spectre660 wrote:Not sure what is going wrong.

Suggestion for now is try on a different machine or OS (Linux or Windows) .
For Windows USB-Image-tool works for me .
http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/

from Linux the dd command should work.
sudo dd if='/media/julian/NTFS/AmigaOneX5000InstallCD-53.25.iso' of=/dev/sdb

amigasociety wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:Is the USB drive showing as uninitialized after rebooting from media toolbox ?
If not then you need to press "Install/read configuration" in the RDB/disk geomety editing window in Media Toolbox to
reset the write area on the USB drive .
Yes, right now DH0:Uninitialized is what mounted.

I tried two different USB Thumb drives.

Same issue... neither shows starting block 0.... so unless I supposed to modify the drive in Media Toolbox someplace to make it start at 0 (I don't see where I can do that), it wants to start at some 51096480 ... then I get the same internal error device does not support 64-bit

And yes, I am clicking the Install/Read Configurations button and allowing it to erase by clicking Yes button... and saving after that.

TJ

*Is there something I supposed to modify in the disk characteristics window? Logical size is blocks per cylinder 64, etc... etc... whatever is there I have left.
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

The alternative is to keep you buying different USB thumb drive models until one works . :D
xenic

Post by xenic »

Spectre660 wrote:The alternative is to keep you buying different USB thumb drive models until one works . :D
I bought an inexpensive USB thumb drive and tested the installation. It doesn't seem to work for different reasons than amigasociety has. In all ways I tried, rawdisk causes a requester complaining my printer isn't available. I have a USB connected printer with a USBPRT: DOS device for accessing it from a shell. After cancelling the printer requesters, I can reenter the rawdisk command and it then works. I tried copying (with rawdisk) the iso to the USB thumb drive in an unpartitioned state and after partitioning it. The iso was written to the USB thumb drive in both cases but the USB thumb drive won't boot correctly. It seems like Kickstart might be loading from the USB thumb drive but the OS4 boot comes from my hard-disk system partition.

I also don't understand why partitioning first would make a difference since the RDB containing the partitioning info seems to get overwritten by rawdisk. If I check the USB thumb drive with Media Toolbox after writing the iso to it, no partitions show up in Media Toolbox even though I can see the contents of the thumb drive in a Workbench window and with Dopus4.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@xenic

Difficult to isolate what may be causing the issues.
It may be the USB thumb drives . I am using some older model USB thumb drives .
a couple of 2GB Verbatim drives and a 16 GBb Sandisk drive. Both work for me.
Both kickstart and the OS are loading from the USB drive.
This is the Verbatim drive model .
https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Flash-Drive ... B00BFYG00Y

The copy process creates a CDfilesysytem image not a partition as such so it is handled by CDFileSystem .
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Another option is to copy the contents of the mounted AmigaOS4.1 .iso or DVD to a bootable NGFilesystem partition on the USB thumb drive.
Remember to set the NGfilesystem partition flag to bootable and stet a boot priority of 5.
So Install the drive with Media Toolbox. Reboot . Format and copy .

Just tested this and it works for me also.
Last edited by Spectre660 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenic

Post by xenic »

Spectre660 wrote:@xenic
Difficult to isolate what may be causing the issues.
I tried booting from the USB thumb drive again today with limited success. For one thing, USB devices connected to the USB connector at the front (top) of my computer don't always get attached correctly when OS4 boots; that's why I need to connect my wireless mouse to a USB connector on the back of the case. Here are my results today:

Cold booting (reset) with the USB thumb drive connected to my front USB connector results in Kicklayout loading from the thumb drive but OS4 booting from my hard-disk system partition.

Cold booting (reset) with the USB thumb drive connected to a rear USB connector results in the system loading the OS4 Install boot screen but nothing else; it just stops there.

If I cold boot with the USB thumb drive connected to a rear USB connector and interrupt UBoot followed by selecting "Boot from mass-storage" in the UBoot menus, I get a complete boot of the OS4.x Install disk.

I don't know why but UBoot finds devices connected to the front USB connector but OS4 frequently fails to find and/or attach devices connected to the front USB connector.

As I said above, the USB thumb drive boots correctly if I interrupt UBoot and choose to boot from mass-storage. Does your system boot from a USB thumb drive by plugging in the thumb drive and turning your computer on or do you also need to interrupt UBoot and choose mass-storage from a UBoot menu??
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@ xenic

Sorry I should have mentioned that if you are booting from USB you use the boot from mass storage u-boot menu option .
xenic

Post by xenic »

Spectre660 wrote:@ xenic
Sorry I should have mentioned that if you are booting from USB you use the boot from mass storage u-boot menu option .
In that case, my USB thumb drive with the install iso is working as it should. I do have another question though. Prior to reading this forum topic, I had formatted a USB thumb drive with NGFS and copied my System partition to the thumb drive. I can cold boot from that thumb drive using the UBoot menu option. Is there any reason why a user couldn't use diskimage.device to copy the files from the install ISO to an NGFS formatted thumb drive and use that thumb drive to cold boot from the MassStorage UBoot menu to install OS4.x ??