Left out icons disappear

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Radek

Left out icons disappear

Post by Radek »

I'm not sure if that was reported somewhere, but recently i've noticed that icons that i put on WB's desktop
came back to its original drawer after switching off and on my Amiga. File system of the partition that i
hold mentioned files is NGFS 54.41. I think it's related to that. Maybe someone has reported that already
to dev team or know about this issue? Any info will be appreciated.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Left out icons disappear

Post by tonyw »

Please describe the problem in more detail so that I can look into it.

Are the icons on the system partition or another partition?

Can you tell me a series of steps to recreate the problem? For instance, I tried this:
1) Select an icon (I selected Prefs/TimeZone).
2) Using RMB, select "Leave Out". The icon disappears from the Prefs drawer and appears on the WB.
3) Reboot, the left-out icon is still on the WB after the system comes up.
4) Select the icon and using RMB, select "Put Away". The icon disappears from the WB and reappears in the Prefs/ drawer.

So it all seems OK to me. Is your experience different?
BTW, don't just drag the icon to the WB and expect it to stay there. You must select "Leave Out".
cheers
tony
Radek

Post by Radek »

Hi Tony,

Here comes what i do:

1. On partition with NGFS i create Drawer inside it another one and two text files created with NotePad
2. I select drawer and two text files and put them on the desktop with Leave Out.
3. I write some text and save files and add some screen grabs taken with SGrab to the drawer.
4. After rebooting files and drawer disappear.

I've tried deleting .backdrop which helped, however i've tried to reboot once since so i'm not sure if this
is a permament fix of a problem.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

What exactly did you "Leave Out"? The drawer itself or the icons within it?
cheers
tony
Radek

Post by Radek »

In the drawer i have another drawer for screenshots and that drawer goes to desktop, plus two text files they sit in the same drawer

Partition---> Drawer---->Drawer2 | File1 | File2
Drawer2 and File1 and 2 are Left Out.
Appologies for a confusion, i should be more precise.
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

Radek wrote:In the drawer i have another drawer for screenshots and that drawer goes to desktop, plus two text files they sit in the same drawer

Partition---> Drawer---->Drawer2 | File1 | File2
Drawer2 and File1 and 2 are Left Out.
Appologies for a confusion, i should be more precise.
Can you post what the contents of the .backdrop file are after you have left out the icons?

IIRC it should be a plain text file.

Also do the drawer and files that are left out have associated icon files or are they using default icons?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

It seems to work OK for me and there is nothing different about NGFS - this "Leave Out" action is all using common file system primitives.

Can you try the test using an FFS partition? If you don't have one, just create a small one at the end of a disk and repeat your tests.

Also you said that you are using NGFS V54.41. Can you do a "version full NGFileSystem" from a Shell and tell me the reply? We are currently up to V54.45 but I want to retest your version.
cheers
tony
Radek

Post by Radek »

@salass00
.backdrop file after deleting it now points to appropriate items and it is text file, but before it's been recognized as a binary file in WorkbenchExplorer's information window. I start to suspect that maybe WE had something to do with corrupting files, as it seems to be a bit buggy. I do not want to accuse it for all my problems, but i was using it a lot recently and it is causing smaller and a little bit bigger problems.

@Tony
It says 54.41 (18.04.2017)

My apologies for false alarm but until i deleted .backdrop file it was pretty annoying.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

OK, I'll assume that using "normal" WB and the system as distributed does not show a problem. I'll also assume that the problem occurs just the same with an FFS partition.

Please report the problem to the WE author.
cheers
tony
Radek

Post by Radek »

I have some new findings regarding disappearing icons.
It appears that not Workbench Explorer causes corruption of .backdrop file, it's Odyssey.
After it crashed, icons have gone and .backdrop file is seen as a binary in WE again,
furthermore even if there is still one path to the file that should be on Workbench's desktop
it's not there, but that is most likely because of .backdrop corruption. I have that file if
examining it would help i can send it. Just let me know.