Weird boot issue with new USB RGB Keyboard connected

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

Weird boot issue with new USB RGB Keyboard connected

Post by amigasociety »

Not sure if a new RGB keyboard I added is causing this so going back to a wireless Logitech I have to see, but in the last few days, 1st boot of the day, the X5K starts.... I see the normal boot process on screen, then at the tail end of the boot right before Workbench normally loads the screen goes black and the fans on the X5K switch to super high speed and that is where it stays. Have to use the power button to shut down.

I shut off and reboot and all is and normally the X5K boots fine on 2nd time.

Weird.

Anyone else ever experience something like this?

My X5K is in a Fractal R4 case as purchased from Amiga on The Lake.

Thanks
TJ

*Updated.... I re-connected old wireless keyboard. No boot issue. Re-connected RGB keyboard, 1st boot high speed fan black screen issue. 2nd start worked fine. I then moved the keyboard cable from what I call USB Port #1 (as you look at rear of machine the top most left usb port) to another port in the next column down. So far booting fine. Will try this a few days and see what happens. Weird issue for sure.
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Re: Weird boot issue with new USB RGB Keyboard connected

Post by amigasociety »

So booted today with the new RGB keyboard on what I call USB port #4, so 2nd column down most right.... just selected generically... and she booted fine. Not that black screen and blaring fans.

Almost seems so far if I use the keyboard in #1 usb port is when I have issues.

Wonder if all USB ports on the motherboard are created equal and all have the same power output, etc...

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

amigasociety wrote:So booted today with the new RGB keyboard on what I call USB port #4, so 2nd column down most right.... just selected generically... and she booted fine. Not that black screen and blaring fans.

Wonder if all USB ports on the motherboard are created equal and all have the same power output, etc...

TJ
If the fan control in the x5k is anywhere near modern than it might be a (crashed) process is hogging the cpu and locking it at 100% which in turn starts up the fans to compensate.

Not sure until there's a serial read that shows what is really going on.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Raziel wrote:
amigasociety wrote:So booted today with the new RGB keyboard on what I call USB port #4, so 2nd column down most right.... just selected generically... and she booted fine. Not that black screen and blaring fans.

TJ
If the fan control in the x5k is anywhere near modern than it might be a (crashed) process is hogging the cpu and locking it at 100% which in turn starts up the fans to compensate.

Not sure until there's a serial read that shows what is really going on.
Cool, if I keep experiencing it, will slap a serial cable and get a crash log.

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
xenic

Post by xenic »

TJ
If you look at the block diagram in the X5000 technical manual, it looks like the USB ports for the front panel USB are connected in parallel with 2 rear ports. The single front panel USB port on the case I got from AmigaOnTheLake is practically useless for my wireless mouse and one of my keyboards. I can't boot from a USB flash drive plugged into the front panel port but can boot filne from a rear panel port. Maybe the port that you are calling port #1 is the one that's tied into (parallel to?) the front panel port.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE