Date & Time will not stay

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Spectre660

Re: Date & Time will not stay

Post by Spectre660 »

That would no be correct unless all keyboards and KVM's caused a problem.
I use an A-Eon AmigaOne keyboard do not any problems. But dont use a KVM.
esc wrote:Stepping back a bit - I could have sworn someone mentioned this was an issue with KVM switch and/or certain USB keyboards. If that's the case, and we consider that to be a defect, that would mean _all_ of these boards are defective, no?
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

appturk wrote:Well I have read all and nothing stated by anyone solves this problem.
Does that include Tony's hint about checking the battery voltages or simply replacing them with known fresh ones? Just making sure - because that's what by now sounds "least unlikely" to me :-).

Best regards,

Niels
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

daveyw wrote: The stupid time prefs in the humourously named "Enhancer" pack is baffled by daylight saving, and was always one hour out. I eventually solved the problem by programming daylight saving dates into it (even though the standard AOS locale prefs writes this to a variable.
To be honest there is nothing sensible about daylight saving time. Rather than making us change our clocks twice every year at some arbitrarily chosen dates they should just pick one time and stick to it.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

salass00 wrote:To be honest there is nothing sensible about daylight saving time.
OTOH there would be even less sense in not adhering to the time changes the rest of the world have chosen to make - sort of like insisting on driving on the other side of the road than all your fellow drivers.

Best regards,

Niels
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

nbache wrote:OTOH there would be even less sense in not adhering to the time changes the rest of the world have chosen to make - sort of like insisting on driving on the other side of the road than all your fellow drivers.
I never suggested doing any such thing. If the A-Eon time prefs doesn't work correctly with DST then it needs to be fixed, obviously, and for that to happen the developer would have to be made aware of the problem first (for example by filing a proper bug report with all the relevant information like what locale settings were used and so on).
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

salass00 wrote:
nbache wrote:OTOH there would be even less sense in not adhering to the time changes the rest of the world have chosen to make
I never suggested doing any such thing.
No, of course not. Sorry, I made my response a bit too terse by leaving out the part where I agree with you about DST being senseless to begin with, but ... (see above).

Best regards,

Niels
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

My Tabor had the same issue. The Tabor and X5000 have the same clock chip and driver.
There is a bit in the clock chip that must be set to allow the chip to use the battery. Older battclock does not check or fix this bit. There is an update in the works, but I'm not sure when it may release.

As a courtesy to an Amiga Dealer, I may be able to get you a small command to fix this.
At least we can give it a try and see if this will solve the issue.

Lyle
dstastny

Post by dstastny »

I hate resurrecting old threads. This seems to be worse now that 4.1.FE update 2 is out.

1. My battery clock does not work at all. Not sure if it ever did. If I un-power(ie turn off Power supply) machine time is reset(brand new batteries).
2. Enhancer has TimeGuard... sorry for crudeness is a piece of crap. Does not work! Never has worked maybe due to fact I am in USA and its a locale bug but AEON is too lazy to investigate or even reply. Reported it does not work to Enhancer Beta... silence... nothing... lets install crap on your machine. Sadly its probably a simple bug.
3. So... resort to DATE SERVER PREFS.... works great have it using a tool Docket(Steven.Solie) to run every hour great as long as new bug in last update does not DSI.

So... I get to reboot my machine and maybe get time set or I reboot multiple times so it does not DSI. The USB stack excuse in some people have wrote about is standards and voltage of USB device is um... Bull-Crap. I am engineer too.

But I care that a OS update breaks even the simple operation of DATE!

These machines require quick release cycles on regressions so when can I expect update to timesync.library that does not DSI on simple Date command?

Anybody got any ideas that is not behind some NDA that can make a very expensive clock work?

Thanks, I feel better just bitching out loud! :lol:

Regards
Doug
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@dstastny

Take a look here.
Maybe that explains your crashes?
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
dstastny

Post by dstastny »

@Raziel,

Thanks, you sir are always so helpful I appreciate link and you.

I was just bit miffed last night as the Date DSI upon a reboot and the Date issues with X5000 has just been ongoing sad joke since I received machine. So the this thread got a me venting a bit last night. Myself as software professional by trade; I get it that regressions happen and really know that the team that works on AmigaOS works hard(company not so much) but good companies scramble to get fix in customers hands. I am pretty sure this is a one line fix and it could be distributed via AmiUpdate but hey this is Hyperion I might wait for years.

Sorry if I distracted anyone.

Regards
Doug