Date & Time will not stay

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
appturk
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Date & Time will not stay

Post by appturk »

Well I have now have 2 X5000 systems the have the correct time and date set. After a shut down and power off on the power supply. When it is turned back on the date is back to 2001. Every time. Any ideas would be helpful. The systems in question are new ready to ship to customers. thank you

-Aaron
esc

Re: Date & Time will not stay

Post by esc »

My X5000 does this as well, and the power supply has been plugged in the whole time.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I have never had this problem on my X-1000 and I can't recall hearing anyone else complain about it, either.

There are only a few possibilities. In order of likelihood:

1) The clock cell is dead and can't sustain the clock while the power is off. That is unlikely as the computer won't run without a good cell. Test it anyway, with a voltmeter. There should be 3.1 - 3.3 V DC from the top surface of the cell to the computer case.
2) When you set the time, it is not saved to the on-board clock.
3) There is a software issue in the system installation.
4) There is a hardware issue on the motherboard.

How are you setting the time? Are you using the Prefs/Time editor? If so, are you selecting "Save" to exit the editor?
Are you using the "setclock" command from a Shell? If so, are you including the "Save" option?

The software components involved are:
Kickstart/battclock.resource.kmod: battclock.resource 54.1 ( 1/05/2016)
C/SetClock: SetClock 52.1 ( 9/12/2006)
Prefs/Time: Time 53.5 (26/02/2014)

Those are the versions supplied in FE Update1.
cheers
tony
Roland

Post by Roland »

@appturk, @esc

I had also a clock problem on my Cyrus+ board... In my case the last saved date&time stayed in the hardware clock, but it did not advance at all (not even when power was on). System clock was working normally, though. Only if I removed the battery the clock was reseted to 2001. The problem was in hardware, and the board was replaced.

What are the serial numbers of your boards? Mine was 0069 (the last four digits). I was just wondering if there is a whole 'subbatch' of Cyrus boards with clock problems on the market...?
- Roland -
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Sorry guys,

I was sure you said "X-1000", not X-5000, so I answered about the X-1000. I shall have to edit my reply to make it relevant to the X-5000, but I won't have time tonight, it's late.

Meantime, check the battery voltage as described above and check the version of battclock.resource.kmod in Kickstart/. The version should be 54.1 or 54.2 (which supports the Tabor as well).
cheers
tony
Ribdevil

Post by Ribdevil »

I had a KVM and used an HP keyboard, the same thing happened to me, skipping the KVM and connecting the HP keyboard, the same, connect a Logitech keyboard and now it works correctly.

It seems that there is some problem in the USB, and the CD, and access to memory, and .... :(
esc

Post by esc »

So using a KVM and a certain usb keyboard can screw up system date and time? Ugh, really not interested in having multiple keyboards cluttering my desktop. I also can't get into the early boot menu with my KVM and keyboard. I feel like a firmware update should be able to fix this, no? Is there somewhere we can file a bug like that? I don't think it's a Hyperion problem, but not sure who to file with...
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

Just sync your computer's clock to an NTP server on startup and it won't matter if the hardware clock keeps the time or not while the computer is turned off.

I have both my NG Amiga computers set up this way.
esc

Post by esc »

Yeah, that makes sense, but the time issue is a symptom of a bigger hardware issue, I'm just wondering where I can file a bug about this?
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

salass00 wrote:Just sync your computer's clock to an NTP server on startup and it won't matter if the hardware clock keeps the time or not while the computer is turned off.
I use this as well, but its still wrong. The stupid time prefs in the humourously named "Enhancer" pack is baffled by daylight saving, and was always one hour out. I eventually solved the problem by programming daylight saving dates into it (even though the standard AOS locale prefs writes this to a variable). According to Aeon, the fourth Sunday in October is 23rd September.

I also find the clock defaulting to GMT for some reason, often after booting Linux.