New X5000 user : any update ?

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Lio

New X5000 user : any update ?

Post by Lio »

Dear All,

I bought a X5000 second hand from Relec back in september 2017 and only put in in productive mode since Christmas.

There are a few things which annoys me (see below) and was wondering if there was any update besides the prerelease CD that was released in December 2016. AmiUpdate did not give anything...

I have a UBoot version of oct 2014 and emailed AEON about this but so far I got no answer (nearly a week now!).

Whenever the help bubble is triggered, the whole system slows down for a few seconds when I move away the mouse from the item

AmiDVD does not work and the DVD drive is not even listed in MTB so I am wondering how I could have installed the system from the OS4 prerelease...

Sometimes the mouse is totally uncontrollable after a reboot or cold start and I have to disconnect/reconnect to control it again

The CPU fan is so much noisy, I am tending to miss the one that came with my AmigaOneXEG4 board !

After installing the system (on NGFS as recommended by the OS), all EXECUTE flagged were missing so all rexx scripts did not work and I had to manually put everything with the EXECUTE flag

SimpleMail keeps on throwing empty messages dated from 1978 ?? After a rescan these empty messages are gone and all is well but it happens all the time I start SM (my guess is that it is something to do with the filesystem since no one reported this behavior).

Thats all so far, I continue to play around with my system so that it can replace my trusty A1G4 which is not the case at the moment...
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: New X5000 user : any update ?

Post by kas1e »

@Lio
For new uboot you probably can try to write to Mattew directly or to Trevor. I got my one from Trevor.

As for system stability - i have no issues with my x5k. Nothing like "slowdowns" for seconds, or anything of that sort. I just have os4.1few update1.

And with what i agree completely, default CPU fan is hard suck so much, that i even sometime do not want to power up my x5k, because wife and childrens can hear from other rooms how it works ! And, that even just cpu fan. When GFX boards fans take their action, then .. then i heard nothing else if i near xk5, only noise. Maybe it worth to try to replace cpu fan at first , and then later maybe made water cooling for gfx board, or just replace it on one without cpu fans. Its just reall problem with all that noise. Add there noise from PSU's fan..
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@Skateman
On the link above there is no new uboot. Only additional little programms and info about how to update it, but not latest version itself.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Production machines come with the fan linked to below .
http://gelidsolutions.com/thermal-solut ... -silent-6/
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
xenic

Post by xenic »

Spectre660 wrote:Production machines come with the fan linked to below .
I bought one of those when my original fan started making a grinding sound for several minutes after booting. I mounted it with some small spacers to allow increased airflow and it is quieter that way. Only time will tell if the spacers help increase the longevity of the fan.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic

Post by xenic »

Lio wrote:Thats all so far, I continue to play around with my system so that it can replace my trusty A1G4 which is not the case at the moment...
I'm tired of irritating issues like the CD device name being changed every time I insert a different CD (CD1: CD2: CD3: etc.) and some USB devices working correctly in some ports but not in others. My original plan was to sell my X1000 once I was sure the X5000 was a good replacement. However, if we don't get some OS4.x and\or Uboot updates soon; I'll be getting the X1000 out of the closet and putting the X5000 in the closet until there are some updates.
xenic

Post by xenic »

kas1e wrote: .. then i heard nothing else if i near xk5, only noise.
Maybe OS4 retailers should start selling boingball earplugs :-)
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

I am occasionally having the grinding fan noise too.
Have ordered a replacement + spare.
xenic wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:Production machines come with the fan linked to below .
I bought one of those when my original fan started making a grinding sound for several minutes after booting. I mounted it with some small spacers to allow increased airflow and it is quieter that way. Only time will tell if the spacers help increase the longevity of the fan.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Lio

Post by Lio »

Slowdown when you go away from the bubble help with the mouse pointer seems to appear only in 1024x768 mode and with the demo radeon driver (v0.65) that came with the AOS4 prerelease CD.

Still have this annoying problem with Simplemail which keeps on resetting the date, subject, sender on mails that I either move to another folder or put in the delete folder. It seems to me a bug not in Simplemail but in NGFS since it does not happen with SFS/2.