Serial Port

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
icbrkr

Serial Port

Post by icbrkr »

Not sure if this should be under OS, or under the x5000 topics but..

Can the serial port on the x5000 be accessed via serial.device? If not, is there another way of accessing a serial port?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Serial Port

Post by tonyw »

There are two serial ports on the X-5000 motherboard. One is permanently wired to the CPU and allows access to housekeeping data like temperatures, voltages, etc.

The second port is wired to the connector on the backplane. It has only RX and TX connected ("3-wire"), so full modem control is not possible. However, it is fully supported by Devs/serial.device in the OS4 installation.

The current version is 54.5 (18/03/2017).
cheers
tony
icbrkr

Post by icbrkr »

tonyw wrote:There are two serial ports on the X-5000 motherboard. One is permanently wired to the CPU and allows access to housekeeping data like temperatures, voltages, etc.

The second port is wired to the connector on the backplane. It has only RX and TX connected ("3-wire"), so full modem control is not possible. However, it is fully supported by Devs/serial.device in the OS4 installation.

The current version is 54.5 (18/03/2017).
Thanks Tony. That explains some of the behavior I was noticing.

Is it possible to add a PCI based serial port and have the OS notice it?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Yes, recent versions of serial.device will recognise and add PCI devices.
cheers
tony
icbrkr

Post by icbrkr »

tonyw wrote:Yes, recent versions of serial.device will recognise and add PCI devices.

Perfect, thanks.
Roland

Post by Roland »

tonyw wrote:There are two serial ports on the X-5000 motherboard. One is permanently wired to the CPU and allows access to housekeeping data like temperatures, voltages, etc.
Is it possible to connect this 'CPU serial port' to the other serial port of X5000, without needing a second machine to read the measurements? Are there ready made cables available for this purpose from some reliable source? I suppose there is a risk to damage the CPU if the cable is faulty...?
- Roland -
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

It is permanently wired on the motherboard AFAIK. I haven't played with it myself, but IIRC the "Shutdown" command from Workbench uses the MCU command "#s".
cheers
tony
Roland

Post by Roland »

tonyw wrote:It is permanently wired on the motherboard AFAIK. I haven't played with it myself, but IIRC the "Shutdown" command from Workbench uses the MCU command "#s".
So it IS possible to use MCU commands directly from AmigaOS... Then it should be possible to write a program (or a script) which reads e.g. the temperatures?
- Roland -
xenic

Post by xenic »

tonyw wrote:It is permanently wired on the motherboard AFAIK. I haven't played with it myself, but IIRC the "Shutdown" command from Workbench uses the MCU command "#s".
I don't see a "Shutdown" Workbench menu or C: command. How do I access this "Shutdown" command?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

xenic wrote:
I don't see a "Shutdown" Workbench menu or C: command. How do I access this "Shutdown" command?
this menu command is only available in beta systems currently AFAIK

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)