Serial Port

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Serial Port

Post by tonyw »

I may have been wrong when I said the port was hard-wired to the MCU (I was quoting the A-Eon PDF manual). It looks as though it is NOT wired up, so you can only use an external machine tp talk to the MCU.

However, that is still questionable. I am investigating it now.

BTW, I was wrong about the port numbering, too. It's Port 0 which is connected to the rear DB9 connector. Port 1 (which the manual claims is connected to the MCU) does not seem to be connected to anything. not even a header. I hope that is wrong and that we can use it somehow.
cheers
tony
icbrkr

Post by icbrkr »

Finally got around to adding a PCIe Serial Card in... but how to get it to be seen?

SYSMON shows it... but I'm not sure what serial port #s they are - is there a way to find out? The serial prefs allows me to change the defaults, but using a term program it claims ports 2 and 3 don't exist (my guess since 0 and 1 are on the x5000 itself).
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Support for PCI serial cards was added in serial.device V54.5. That version may not yet be released to the general public.

Also, it was not until V54.6 that the MCU ports on the Cyrus and Tabor worked properly from serial (I had the wrong addresses in the code). Again, that version has not yet been released.
cheers
tony
icbrkr

Post by icbrkr »

Any chance I could be a beta tester for either one?
simulant

Post by simulant »

Hi does anyone know of a compatible and reliable Serial PCI card that will work well on the X5000, I would also like a standard rs232 serial port I can use with my AmigaOne X5000 and Term.

Thanks for any help :)
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Note Tony's remark above about the support in serial.device for PCI serial cards not having been released publically. This is still the case at the time of writing.

Best regards,

Niels
simulant

Post by simulant »

nbache wrote:Note Tony's remark above about the support in serial.device for PCI serial cards not having been released publically. This is still the case at the time of writing.

Best regards,

Niels
Ok thanks I'll wait until some support exists in that case, in the meantime can anyone PM me without going public to let me know of a card that is known to work? ;)
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

No PCI card will work yet because the currently released driver does not scan the PCI bus looking for other serial devices. it supports only the serial controller built in to the CPU.
cheers
tony