Sandisk 64GB Cruzer Blade

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Roland

Sandisk 64GB Cruzer Blade

Post by Roland »

I would need some help... With what and how should I I prepare (or low level format) a 64 GB Sandisk Cruzer Blade, so that X5000 U-Boot would recognize it as storage medium, and thus could be used to boot Linux? It is now prepared with GParted to have MS-DOS (MBR) partion table but I have not been able to get U-Boot to recognize it if it is the only USB disk connected, or if it is before other USB disks in the USB hierarchy. Any help would be appreciated!
- Roland -
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Sandisk 64GB Cruzer Blade

Post by tonyw »

IIRC you have to specify the file system type in the usbload command. It won't "just recognise" it and boot from it without explicit instructions.
cheers
tony
Roland

Post by Roland »

tonyw wrote:IIRC you have to specify the file system type in the usbload command. It won't "just recognise" it and boot from it without explicit instructions.
"usbload"? At least my U-Boot does not have that command. Do you mean 'usbboot'? But I think you misunderstood the problem... It is not how to boot from a USB partition, but how to get U-Boot to "see" or "mount" the device, IF "usb reset" does not make it visible/accessible! And that is the case if I have no other USB disk connected in addition to the 64GB Cruzer. Only if there is another USB stick connected before it in the USB port mount hierarchy, it becomes visible...

Is this again a strange bug in the U-Boot...?
- Roland -
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Yes, I missed the problem that it does not get recognised, sorry.

It's odd that U-Boot does not recognise the presence of the medium. I've always found Sandisk the most reliable of devices. Is it peculiar to this USB stick? Do other brands and/or sizes work OK?
cheers
tony
Roland

Post by Roland »

tonyw wrote:It's odd that U-Boot does not recognise the presence of the medium. I've always found Sandisk the most reliable of devices. Is it peculiar to this USB stick? Do other brands and/or sizes work OK?
I have two similar Sandisk Cruzer Blades (even the revision is the same as in the 64GB one, 1.00) but with 32GB capacity, and they do not show any problems. I do not have other 64GB sticks, but most of the smaller ones I have work ok (Kingston, Maxwell). Only a 8GB Kingston DT50 seem to have issues with U-Boot, but it does not matter as I do not use it for booting Linux. (All DT50 sticks are heating strongly and do not work reliably with Linux.)

Christian (Xeno74) told me he also has a 64GB Cruzer Blade and it works ok with Tabor. Is the U-boot of Tabor somewhat different from that in X5000?
- Roland -
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Is the U-boot of Tabor somewhat different from that in X5000?
I haven't seen the code so I don't know, but from a user point of view they are very much alike (the contents are at the same addresses, etc). Many of the built-in commands (like boota, etc) are different in detail, but they do the same thing on the different hardware. I would expect the performance with USB sticks to be dependent on both the U-Boot firmware and the SOC hardware.
cheers
tony