Networking

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Steff

Re: Networking

Post by Steff »

Raziel wrote:
Steff wrote:
Raziel wrote:If anyone needs the details, just shout
I'm shouting !! ;)
Depends on the version you are using, but this should get you started:

On Windows:
1) Find out what your computer's "name" is or change it to your liking in the system properties
2) Find out what your workgroup is called or chage it to your liking in the properties
3) Just for the test case, go to C:, create a dir ("Share" e.g.)
4) Set that directory to be shared in the Properties (make it read-/writeable for everyone)
5) Important: Set a password for your user (you don't need a user per se, Admin will do, but will HAVE to use a password, otherwise smbfs will refuse to connect)

Now, on the amiga side, use this in a shell:
smbfs CACHE=256 WORKGROUP=yourwg USER=yourusername DEVICE=SMBFSPC: VOLUME=WindowsShare: SERVICE=//yourpcname/Share/ PASSWORD=yourpw
- Don't "run" smbfs for now, just let it run and see if there are errors
- There are more options you could use, but keep it as simple as possible for now to see if you get a connection at all.
btw: i tried every single option there is, none really matter except the CACHE which will speed up access in some cases.

If everything works out, there should be a new "dir" on Workbench popping up called "WindowsShare", it can be accessed like any other dir.
Thanks Raziel . I will give it a try very soon. :D
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

Raziel wrote: iirc correctly Olsen was looking for people who got this exact behaviour (dunno if he still is).
You should get in contact with him and help iron that out (or maybe just check that it is already gone).
Thanks, I'll drop him a line. I'm in the middle of moving house right now and have to re-build my network (just got Internet connected the other day, but only to one room).

**Edit: His email is bouncing. :cry:
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@daveyw

You got PM
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Olaf Barthel
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Olaf Barthel »

daveyw wrote:
Raziel wrote: iirc correctly Olsen was looking for people who got this exact behaviour (dunno if he still is).
You should get in contact with him and help iron that out (or maybe just check that it is already gone).
Thanks, I'll drop him a line. I'm in the middle of moving house right now and have to re-build my network (just got Internet connected the other day, but only to one room).

**Edit: His email is bouncing. :cry:
Just goes to show how old smbfs is, and when I last updated it: my sourcery.han.de e-mail address, which I first used in 1990/1991, became completely unusuable due to spam by 2014 which is when I reluctantly gave it up :(

The current smbfs source code is available at https://github.com/obarthel/amiga-smbfs ... evelopment, in case you might want to build and test it all by yourself.

But I'd be happy to share the current smbfs build with you. Just drop me a line :-)
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

You could setup a FTP server on your Windows machine to get the files needed?
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

Olaf Barthel wrote: The current smbfs source code is available at https://github.com/obarthel/amiga-smbfs ... evelopment, in case you might want to build and test it all by yourself.

But I'd be happy to share the current smbfs build with you. Just drop me a line :-)
Awesome, thanks, sent you a PM.
nielspeter@live.com

Post by nielspeter@live.com »

Skateman wrote:You could setup a FTP server on your Windows machine to get the files needed?
Yes - a FileZilla Client & Server on Windozz and pFTP or AmiFTP on Amiga works for me. Have also tried Amiga Cloud Handler (http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/AmigaCloudHandlers) and give Google print (http://aminet.net/package/driver/print/gcp_device) a try as well :-)

/FRANDSEN
Die hard since 1989 - latest Amiga X5000 :geek:
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Skateman wrote:You could setup a FTP server on your Windows machine to get the files needed?
You could do that, then again

smbfs puts the share as a "partition" on your workbench and lets you access it as part of the system.

There is something similar for ftp /ftpmount), but it has tons of drawbacks compared to smbfs, the main one for me is the fact that it is single threaded, means you can either read or write, but not both, which makes accessing it far too much eighties
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

I agree, your right on that.

I did mention FTP just as an alternative to get the files needed :-)
A torrentsync client could also be a nice alternative... just dump files in any machine folder, and it gets synced to the Amiga)

Something like Resilio https://www.resilio.com/
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Skateman wrote:I agree, your right on that.

I did mention FTP just as an alternative to get the files needed :-)
A torrentsync client could also be a nice alternative... just dump files in any machine folder, and it gets synced to the Amiga)

Something like Resilio https://www.resilio.com/
I sync (oh boy, i'm so bad at the pun game) there already is something similar for AmigaOS4 ... FolderSync2
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg