Do not want HD0 booting

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Steff

Do not want HD0 booting

Post by Steff »

How can i stop HD0 from booting when i try using U_Boot on the USB stick?
The drive light stays on permanently and stops the USB stick from booting to Workbench. I have tried booting from a bootable CD but the same happens. :evil:
Is there a way of disabling the "automount" on HD0 prior to booting using the shell command?
I'm stuck !!!
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Do not want HD0 booting

Post by tonyw »

There are a couple of things you can do:

A) Make the HD0 "Not bootable". This is done using Media Toolbox (MTB).
B) Make the HD0 a lower boot priority than the volume on the USB stick (MTB again).
C) Interrupt the boot process and select the boot device by hand.

Remember there are two stages in the Boot process:
1. Kickstart modules are loaded from the "boot device" (the USB stick in your case).
2) The "system" is booted from what will become the boot volume ("SYS:"). This is not necessarily the same device.

"Booting" in this sense means setting system pointers to the libraries etc on the system volume. Things like assigns, where fonts are loaded from, that sort of thing.

You can force the loader in AmigaBoot to "boot" from the same device it loaded the Kickstart modules from, by setting the variable "os4_bootdevice" to "auto". Ask if you don't know how to do that.

Otherwise you can interrupt the Boot process after Kickstart modules have been loaded (hit Scroll Lock key over and over) and select the device to boot from.
cheers
tony
Steff

Re: Do not want HD0 booting

Post by Steff »

tonyw wrote:There are a couple of things you can do:

A) Make the HD0 "Not bootable". This is done using Media Toolbox (MTB).
B) Make the HD0 a lower boot priority than the volume on the USB stick (MTB again).
C) Interrupt the boot process and select the boot device by hand.

Remember there are two stages in the Boot process:
1. Kickstart modules are loaded from the "boot device" (the USB stick in your case).
2) The "system" is booted from what will become the boot volume ("SYS:"). This is not necessarily the same device.

"Booting" in this sense means setting system pointers to the libraries etc on the system volume. Things like assigns, where fonts are loaded from, that sort of thing.

You can force the loader in AmigaBoot to "boot" from the same device it loaded the Kickstart modules from, by setting the variable "os4_bootdevice" to "auto". Ask if you don't know how to do that.

Otherwise you can interrupt the Boot process after Kickstart modules have been loaded (hit Scroll Lock key over and over) and select the device to boot from.
Thank you Tony. That is a great help :D