ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS Live USB

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS Live USB

Post by xeno74 »

Spectre660 wrote:@Xeno74

Christian ,

There is also my debian based installer ramdisk for installing Ubuntu Mate 16.04 .
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxoZd ... 3RvbWpfeWc

usb init
setenv bootargs root=/dev/ramdisk mem=3500M radeon.pcie_gen2=1
fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-cyrus
fatload usb 0:1 1c00000 cyrus_5020.dtb
fatload usb 0:1 2000000 uRamdisk_Ubuntu-Mate_16.04_net
bootm 1000000 2000000 1c00000

Regards
Julian
Thank you.

-- Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
outrun1978

Post by outrun1978 »

HI Christian

I am wondering if you can help
Am trying to set up Linux on my X5000 using a blank SSD (Sandisk Ultra 240GB)

I have followed the following instructions
Making the "Start Linux" button launch Linux:
-----------------------------------------------------------

There are better instructions on how to do the Ubuntu Mate 16.04 install, but here is a quick overview (from memory) ...

1) Boot Ubuntu from the flash disk and run the installer located on the desktop. Select the first option to run Gparted and create a small fat32 partition for the boot files (uImage-cyrus, cyrus_5020.dtb, and uRamdisk) and a second larger partition for the system files (ext4 format or whatever).

2) Run the installer a second time and this time select the second option. Follow the prompts and the system will be copied to the partition you tell it to (sda2 on my system). I think you may need to copy the boot files manually to the fat32 partition you created (sda1 on my system) -- I forget if this is done automatically.

3) Restart without the X5000 without the flash disk and when the boing ball animation starts hit the 'esc' key and then the 'm' key to get to a command prompt.

4) Type the following:

editenv linuxboot (there might be something already saved -- just overwrite that)

setenv bootargs root=/dev/sda2 mem3500M nosplash radeon.pcie_gen2=1;fatload sata 0:1 1000000 uImage-cyrus;fatload sata 0:1 2000000 cyrus_5020.dtb;bootm 1000000 - 2000000

saveenv

[/quote]

the problem is when I try to run Linux from the boot menu I am getting the error message invalid partition type "FAT`1" (Expect u-Boot)

if I set the env to book back from the usb key then it will load into unbuntu mate and I can see the partitions but sadly the commands are too long for me to be able to save it for me to boot from usb from the menu.

my ssd is plugged into sata port 0 of the board

a) why am I getting the invalid partition type. My partitions are sda1 and sda 2 sda 1 is in Fat 32 as per instructions and sda2 is in ext4 as per instructions
b) is there a shorter version of the Linux boot env that can be saved to allow me to boot from usb stick from the boot menu??

cheers :-)
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi outrun1978,

Please post the output of the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo /sbin/fdisk -l
Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Roland

Post by Roland »

I made an Ubuntu installation using the 'alternative script' on 16.04 Live USB disk. Seems to work ok... Now, a few questions:

1. How does this installation differ from the one which can be made using Spectre's netistaller RamDisk? Is the latter one more 'orthodox'?

2. Is it safe to update this installation using the standard tools of Ubuntu? There seems to be a lot of security etc. updates available.

3. A few moments after the destop has been loaded, there always appears the following warning:

"Failed to apply network settings"
"You might not be able to connect to the Bluetooth network via this machine"

I do not have anything related to Bluetooth in my machine! Where does this message come from, and how to get rid of it...?
I already tried to delete from network settings the wired network connection which was created during installation, and created a new one, but that annoying message did not dissappear... Is there possibly somewhere a corrupted settings file which should be deleted...?
- Roland -
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@ Roland

Ubuntu-Mate is normally installed via a live DVD.
The default installer is not working on our machines so the alternate installer scrip was created by Christian/Xeno74 to just copy the contents of the live DVD/USB to the AmigaOne's hard drive. Once you boot from that installation you can create other user accounts and configure as you like .

My netinstaller is unique in that it uses the Lubuntu alternate installer,which is based on the Debian alternate installer, and installs Ubuntu-Mate using the Ubuntu-Mate meta package.
Your custom configuration is selected during the installation .
This may be the best way to install Ubuntu-Mate for AmigaOnes .

Have you created a new user after installing via the alternate installer script ?
The default live user account may be configured to start up Bluetooth stuff.
Roland wrote:I made an Ubuntu installation using the 'alternative script' on 16.04 Live USB disk. Seems to work ok... Now, a few questions:

1. How does this installation differ from the one which can be made using Spectre's netistaller RamDisk? Is the latter one more 'orthodox'?

2. Is it safe to update this installation using the standard tools of Ubuntu? There seems to be a lot of security etc. updates available.

3. A few moments after the destop has been loaded, there always appears the following warning:

"Failed to apply network settings"
"You might not be able to connect to the Bluetooth network via this machine"

I do not have anything related to Bluetooth in my machine! Where does this message come from, and how to get rid of it...?
I already tried to delete from network settings the wired network connection which was created during installation, and created a new one, but that annoying message did not dissappear... Is there possibly somewhere a corrupted settings file which should be deleted...?
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Roland

Post by Roland »

Spectre660 wrote:Have you created a new user after installing via the alternate installer script ?
The default live user account may be configured to start up Bluetooth stuff.
Yes I have... But I haven't yet figured out how to make Ubuntu to boot with that new account as a default.

If I log out the live user and then log in with the new account, the same error message I mentioned shows up...

I have given to the new user the administrator status, but the live user account is not shown in 'Users and accounts' prefs unless logged in as live user, so it is seems not possible to delete that live user totally.
- Roland -
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@ Roland

Option 3 for installing Ubuntu-Mate 16.04
A usb .img that can be booted and copied using dd to a harddrive partition .
Image is compressed as 7z so needs to be extracted before writing .
has a username of Amigaone with password of amigaone .
Once installed you will need to update as it uses the first version of the Ubuntu-Mate .
no live user on this one.
should upload a newer version but it takes about 12 hours with my connection's upload speed .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4r477z1kg57hi ... mg.7z?dl=0
Roland

Post by Roland »

Spectre660 wrote:@ Roland

Once installed you will need to update as it uses the first version of the Ubuntu-Mate .
should upload a newer version but it takes about 12 hours with my connection's upload speed .

Fine! I will try that... Thank you!

PS. I am glad that you now also take care of the X5000 Linux side in addition of Sams! You and Xeno, you do excellent work :-).
- Roland -
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Roland wrote:

Fine! I will try that... Thank you!

PS. I am glad that you now also take care of the X5000 Linux side in addition of Sams! You and Xeno, you do excellent work :-).
Thank you. There are also many more people involved who have done the hard work to get us to this point.
Roland

Post by Roland »

I tried "the option 3 this morning"... Downloading the package failed after loading about 2.5 GB of the 2.6 GB total! Resuming the transfer was not possible, Firefox had deleted the file automatically. Cannot try again from the start, my data account went now too low.

This really made my week - everything I have tried to do with Amiga Linuxes this week has failed, just everything... :-/
- Roland -