ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS Live USB

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS Live USB

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote: /dev/sda: unrecognized disk label"
Do you use a MBR/msdos partition table? You can find out it with GParted. Please start GParted and select View - Device Information.

If you have a RDB partition table, then it isn't possible to load a linux kernel, dtb file etc from a partition of the hard disk but you can load the kernel, dtb etc from a USB flash drive if you like. In my point of view, you need a RDB partition table for OS4.1.
Loading the Linux kernel from a hard disk is only possible if you use a MBR/msdos partition table. That means a hard disk without OS4.1.
I am so sorry because of the incorrect information from me:
xeno74 wrote:
My partition suggestion:

/dev/sda1 Linux boot partition with kernels, initrds, and dtb files with fat32 formated.
/dev/sda2 OS4.1
/dev/sda3 Linux root partition
My partition suggestion doesn't work. Honestly I don't have a X5000. I am still learning.
caseycullen wrote: Why can I can boot to desktop from USB with no issues, but everything is unresponsive when I try to from SATA disk.
Could you please try to load the kernel from the USB flash drive?
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Radek

Post by Radek »

@caseycullen
Before running linuxboot, try sata init - it works similarly to usb reset - if you don't use it, it will not be able to read from sata.
Yesterday i successfully loaded dtb and uImage files from sata connected hd, so it should work. I messed up other stuff though.

@Xeno74
It would be nice to keep all info - how to boot, partition HDDs etc. in one place.
It's bit of a pain in the back to get clear information on given subject, some are here
some in mailing list and other places too.

Maybe we could create pined thread which you would be able to edit, where all information
regarding booting, installing, preparing and what else you may think of, will be available at a glance.
Maybe you could include all links to images with new distros too, so everything is in one place.

It's just a thought, i really appreciate hard work, you all guys put in making possible to run linuxes
on our Amigas, but we need a little bit more organization. That will spare you explaining every new
user how to start. Even if you are really quick in responding it takes your valuable time and rises
level of frustration.

BTW.
Are there any tools under AOS4.1 that can partition and format drives as a fat32/ext4 and other filesystems suitable for linuxes?
That would make it even easier.

Kind regards,
Radek.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Radek,

Many thanks for your suggestions. :-) Could you please post them on the mailing lists as well? We can discuss and organize the structure of the X5000 Hyperion forum on the mailing lists.

Thanks for your help,
Christian

caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

xeno74 wrote: Do you use a MBR/msdos partition table? You can find out it with GParted. Please start GParted and select View - Device Information
Thanks for your reply!
Yes, MBR/msdos. I do not have AOS installed right now; I'd rather focus on Linux first.
xeno74 wrote: Could you please try to load the kernel from the USB flash drive?
The kernel loads perfectly from the USB flash drive.
Radek wrote:@caseycullen
Before running linuxboot, try sata init - it works similarly to usb reset - if you don't use it, it will not be able to read from sata.
Yesterday i successfully loaded dtb and uImage files from sata connected hd, so it should work. I messed up other stuff though.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried sata init, it found "corsair neutron..."; I then typed in "setenv bootargs root=/dev/sda2 mem3500M nosplash radeon.pcie_gen2=1"
"fatload sata 0:1 1000000 uImage-cyrus" file loaded OK
"fatload sata 0:1 2000000 cyrus_5020.dtb" file loaded OK
"bootm 1000000 - 2000000" system started to boot, showed the linux loading screen with two tux penguins, then when it should have showed the Ubuntu MATE desktop the screen went blank, no input would work, and could not switch to terminal.

Went back, loaded everything from the USB drive again, works fine, booted to MATE desktop perfectly.

Not sure how this is booting up from USB but not SATA :(
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. I tried sata init, it found "corsair neutron..."; I then typed in "setenv bootargs root=/dev/sda2 mem3500M nosplash radeon.pcie_gen2=1"
Please try it with mem=3500M.

dstastny

Post by dstastny »

I have gotten much further along. Getting partitions created was nice challenge until I saw comment about bug with changing alignment to "cylinders".

I successfulyl got startlinux command/menu working by using the Live USB drive as source for kernel files(Ill fix that later) and booted to the SATA partition.

My challenge now is it appears my hard drive image looks like a live install is that correct behavior for alternative install script. As the user is still "live session user"

What are good suggested additional steps to finish a working installation.

Thanks again for helping me move forward.

Doug
Radek

Post by Radek »

Christian, is there any way of capturing serial log, maybe that will help to figure out what's the problem
with caseycullen's sata booting issue?

My linuxboot looks like this:

Code: Select all

sata init ; setenv bootargs root=/dev/sdb1 nosplash radeon.pcie_gen2=1 ; fatload sata 1:1 1000000 uImage-cyrus ; fatload sata 1:1 2000000 cyrus_5020.dtb ; bootm 1000000 - 2000000
My linux hd is connected to second sata on-board connector.

I have had difficulties formatting my HD, it appear that problem was my Amiga Partition table on this HD,
i 've changed that in GParted>Device>Create Partition Table, now it works without problems.

Unfortunately i'm out of any ideas, since i'm green as grass in respect of Linux.
Actually i wanted to ask few questions myself.

To be honest performance is quite poor, i installed SuperTuxCart game and i was getting like 1 frame per five seconds.
But, when i was starting the game there was a message saying that my openGLs driver is outdated and i should update.
So, can i use built in Software Boutique/Updater, is it safe to install stuff from the internet or should i only use
things provided by you and other X5000 linux maintainers?
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

xeno74 wrote:Please try it with mem=3500M.
YES!!! Thank you for noticing that! That was all that was needed! :D

Also updated "setenv linuxboot" to include this, system now boots to MATE desktop from boot menu. Wonderful!
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Also, does this correspond to the physical memory in the system? Can it be edited to reflect the actual physical memory present?
seventhwonder
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by seventhwonder »

caseycullen wrote:
Also, does this correspond to the physical memory in the system? Can it be edited to reflect the actual physical memory present?
3500M setting is needed for the graphic card work properly with the kernel you are using.

There is a kernel in development which supports 8GB Ram, but it has some problems with ethernet (at least on my system)
AmigaOS4 Beta-Tester
**AmigaOne X5000 + 8GB RAM + Radeon RX 560 4GB
**Tabor A1222 + 2GB RAM + Radeon RX 550 2GB **
**Sam460 + 2GB RAM + Radeon RX 550 2GB **