Preparing for Install

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
dstastny

Preparing for Install

Post by dstastny »

I recently received my X5000 with drive configured with all space utilized into 3 AmigaOS partitions.

My thought was to delete the existing DH1, DH2 and create a new DH1 a bit larger and leave rest not allocated. I have successfully booted the recently posted distro from my USB drive my question will the alternative install script correctly configure the UBOOT process and pickup and allocate the unused space?

I am used to PC based distros but I am completely new to UBOOT.

Any advice and guidance on ensuring I wind up with a working multiboot would be appreciated.

Regards
Doug
xeno74

Re: Preparing for Install

Post by xeno74 »

dstastny wrote:I recently received my X5000 with drive configured with all space utilized into 3 AmigaOS partitions.

My thought was to delete the existing DH1, DH2 and create a new DH1 a bit larger and leave rest not allocated. I have successfully booted the recently posted distro from my USB drive my question will the alternative install script correctly configure the UBOOT process and pickup and allocate the unused space?

I am used to PC based distros but I am completely new to UBOOT.

Any advice and guidance on ensuring I wind up with a working multiboot would be appreciated.

Regards
Doug
Hi Doug,

No, the alternative install script doesn't configure U-Boot but you can create partitions. You can configure U-Boot with Ken's instructions:

Code: Select all

Making the "Start Linux" button launch Linux:
-----------------------------------------------------------

There are better instructions on how to do the Ubuntu Mate 16.04 install, but here is a quick overview (from memory) ...

1) Boot Ubuntu from the flash disk and run the installer located on the desktop. Select the first option to run Gparted and create a small fat32 partition for the boot files (uImage-cyrus, cyrus_5020.dtb, and uRamdisk) and a second larger partition for the system files (ext4 format or whatever).

2) Run the installer a second time and this time select the second option. Follow the prompts and the system will be copied to the partition you tell it to (sda2 on my system). I think you may need to copy the boot files manually to the fat32 partition you created (sda1 on my system) -- I forget if this is done automatically.

3) Restart without the X5000 without the flash disk and when the boing ball animation starts hit the 'esc' key and then the 'm' key to get to a command prompt.

4) Type the following:

editenv linuxboot (there might be something already saved -- just overwrite that)

setenv bootargs root=/dev/sda2 mem3500M nosplash radeon.pcie_gen2=1;fatload sata 0:1 1000000 uImage-cyrus;fatload sata 0:1 2000000 cyrus_5020.dtb;bootm 1000000 - 2000000

saveenv

That's it! The button in the early start menu label Linux should now launch Ubuntu from the sda disk. Obviously, you may need to select a different disk depending on your configuration, so modify things as necessary.
My partition suggestion:

/dev/sda1 Linux boot partition with kernels, initrds, and dtb files with fat32 formated.
/dev/sda2 OS4.1
/dev/sda3 Linux root partition

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
radzikpl

Post by radzikpl »

Questions:
- how big should be this fat32 partition?
- which files need to be copied there?
- if user already have AOS partition (SYS, Work etc), is it possible to make for Linux at the end of disk (for example: AOS 15 GB, Work: 100 GB, 20 GB for Linux, 2 GB SWAP, 100 MB for FAT32)?
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

radzikpl wrote:Questions:
- how big should be this fat32 partition?
- which files need to be copied there?
- if user already have AOS partition (SYS, Work etc), is it possible to make for Linux at the end of disk (for example: AOS 15 GB, Work: 100 GB, 20 GB for Linux, 2 GB SWAP, 100 MB for FAT32)?
Just so you are aware UBoot on the X5000 cannot read disks with RDB partition tables, and is not going to be able to anytime soon, Amigaboot takes care of that for OS4.

So to boot Linux you need a disk with a MBR on to load your kernel from. The best option is to use a USB disk to store kernels, or you can store them on the MMC card.

To boot Linux you will need a kernel eg. uImage and a dtb eg cyrus_5020.dtb

You can use the dtb for multiple kernels.
You'll need less than 10Mb for each kernel.

Your disk layout would work, but as mentioned above you wouldn't be able to load kernels from the Fat32 partition.

Hope this helps.
Darren
dstastny

Post by dstastny »

So if I am understanding right a vendor configured X5000 with a DH0, DH1, DH2 will have to be completely reformatted to get this working?

I sort of understand all that is written regarding UBOOT but part that jumped out was with regard to not understanding RDB partition tables being incompatible and that sounds to me like the way the machine is configured. How would I know?

I really want to have this dual boot but this is sounding like PIA to get working.

A simple step by step how to setup a drive for dual boot would be really useful especially if reformatting is way to go.

Thanks
Doug
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

dstastny wrote:So if I am understanding right a vendor configured X5000 with a DH0, DH1, DH2 will have to be completely reformatted to get this working?
No, Linux can be installed to a partition on your disk, I have 5 Amiga Partitions, 3 Linux and a shared SWAP partition on my main disk.

If you haven't already ordered it you could ask AmigaKit (or who you are ordering from) to leave space for Linux.
I sort of understand all that is written regarding UBOOT but part that jumped out was with regard to not understanding RDB partition tables being incompatible and that sounds to me like the way the machine is configured. How would I know?
Only UBoot doesn't understand RDB disks, both AmigaOS4 and Linux can be installed and booted from a mixed disk, however the kernel you use to boot Linux CANNOT be on a RDB disk, and needs to be on either the SD card or a USB disk.
I really want to have this dual boot but this is sounding like PIA to get working.
A bit of work is needed, but it is not that hard.
A simple step by step how to setup a drive for dual boot would be really useful especially if reformatting is way to go.
Firstly find space on your disk for Linux, this can be either a unused partition or some unused space.

Boot The install CD and install to the designated space.

After that all you need to do is set up the 'linuxboot' variable in Uboot - this is what the menu calls when you select the 'Boot Linux' option.

Start by making sure you can boot the DVD, and run that in live mode.
Doug
Remember this is still a beta release, we are still working on the support.

Regards
Darren
dstastny

Post by dstastny »

Thanks for details Darren,

So it sounds like a little bit of cleaning up of partition space to free up room is where to start.

I have successfully booted the live CD so at least that part seems ok. Memory seem to misreport as only 4G instead of 8G installed, but hey progress.

The part I am bit confused about is discussion regarding creating a FAT32 partition for kernel files. So it seems that I first need to make that 100M partition install the kernal there then rerun and do full install or just run install with available space let it make swap partition etc. like on X86 then go in and set boot variables in UBOOT?

Thanks for helping through this as there is specific project on PPC I want to work on with Linux with hope of eventually getting it working under AmigaOS.

Regards
Doug
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

dstastny wrote:Thanks for details Darren,

So it sounds like a little bit of cleaning up of partition space to free up room is where to start.

I have successfully booted the live CD so at least that part seems ok. Memory seem to misreport as only 4G instead of 8G installed, but hey progress.
You won't get 3D unless you limit the memory, we know about this, when it gets fixed we'll let you know.

If you want you can simplfy booting the CD by entering the following (in Uboot)

setenv bootcd "<your boot commnds>"
saveenv

for <your boot command> put command1;command2;command3;... (; where you would press enter, you won't need to use any quotes in the sting either)

boot this by entering 'run bootcd' at the X5000 prompt
The part I am bit confused about is discussion regarding creating a FAT32 partition for kernel files. So it seems that I first need to make that 100M partition install the kernal there then rerun and do full install or just run install with available space let it make swap partition etc. like on X86 then go in and set boot variables in UBOOT?
You'll need somewhere to store your kernels, and a FAT32 partition is always a good choice, can be read by almost everything.
As you are trying to use a single disk, you'll need to use a RDB partition so that AmigaOS can be booted from the same disk, which means the FAT partition can't be on your main disk.

I currently have a 16G USB stick attached to one of the rear ports on which I store my kernels, this can be accessed from both Amiga OS and Linux.

Once you have cleared space it should be reasonalbly easy to install, Note, if you've created a SWAP for AmigaOS, Linux can (and will) use that.
Thanks for helping through this as there is specific project on PPC I want to work on with Linux with hope of eventually getting it working under AmigaOS.

Regards
Doug
We'll get you set up, once you've got the initial setup done it all works well.

Regards
Darren
dstastny

Post by dstastny »

Thanks again. I'm up running. My last remaining problem is HW acceleration for open glad is not working and I can seem to track down why.
Thanks again,
Doug
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

daz wrote: You won't get 3D unless you limit the memory, we know about this, when it gets fixed we'll let you know.
Is hardware 3D acceleration available for NI graphics cards with the new kernels?
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.