Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Roland

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

Post by Roland »

Spectre660 wrote:After booting can you get a shell with cntrl+alt+F1 keys ? .

If yes then check to see if you can rename the mentioned files manually then reboot .

Code: Select all

sudo mv '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so' '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so.bak'
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
Shouldn't the names be in reverse order ?-) But I already undoed the changes via Debian as 'root'.
There was an update to mesa in Ubuntu 16.04 in July this year which may be the problem .
Ok. I will next give a try to Christian's 16.04-3 and restart upgrade from there.
- Roland -
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Spectre660 wrote: There was an update to mesa in Ubuntu 16.04 in July this year which may be the problem .
Good to know! I always use my own Mesa versions so I didn't notice a Mesa update in July. Thanks for the hint! :-)
Roland wrote:
Ok. I will next give a try to Christian's 16.04-3 and restart upgrade from there.
This is also Julian's img but with my ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 live DVD included. It is better to use Julian's latest images instead of this old ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS live USB img. ;-) Please follow Julian's instructions.

-- Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Roland

Post by Roland »

xeno74 wrote: >Ok. I will next give a try to Christian's 16.04-3 and restart upgrade from there.

This is also Julian's img but with my ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 live DVD included. It is better to use Julian's latest images instead of this old ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS live USB img. ;-) Please follow Julian's instructions.
Sorry, I meant the other option tou gave: Amigaone_Ubuntu_16.04-Base-1.img.7z. The Ubuntu partition in it seems to me a ready made installation, not an installer. It also has already OpenGL 3.0. I think this is the one my earlier 16.04 was from.

As Julian said, also his only ready made installation image is out of date (the one I already tested, with OpenGL 2.2). And currently I cannot use his netinstaller images due to restricted internet connection.
- Roland -
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote: Sorry, I meant the other option tou gave: Amigaone_Ubuntu_16.04-Base-1.img.7z. The Ubuntu partition in it seems to me a ready made installation, not an installer. It also has already OpenGL 3.0. I think this is the one my earlier 16.04 was from.

As Julian said, also his only ready made installation image is out of date (the one I already tested, with OpenGL 2.2). And currently I cannot use his netinstaller images due to restricted internet connection.
OK. I was able to install ubuntu MATE 16.04 with this img last year. My experiences: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS Live USB

Good luck! :-)

-- Christian

Roland

Post by Roland »

I had now an opportunity to try a totally new Ubuntu 16.04 installation, as recommended, using the following installer:

Ubuntu-Mate 16.04 Net Installer
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/r7fo ... net-3?dl=0

Everything went well, until the the installer tried to finish the installation... There was a red screen and a warning that it was not able to finish the installation, and the problematic phase was something like "finish the installation without loading initial bootloader" (I was not using english in installation). There was also possible to choose "install Grub" but it did not help either. The only way out was to was the last item in the installation menu, 'cancel installation' or like.

When I tested the created new Ubuntu partition, it was able to boot normally (and had already 16.04.5 upgrade), but there was only the 'Guest' account available, which cannot save any changes made! The account I created at the beginning for my own name was not available (or at least did not accept the password), and I was not able to create a new account either (the password I had defined did not work as 'root').

So... How to fix this problem??? I thought this installer was tested and proven to work with X5000....?!
- Roland -
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@ Roland

The Installer was tested and working but things can change from the server side with updates.
The installer option "finish the installation" should complete the process and setup the user account .

I am not in a position to test or update the installer or any other x5000 issues currently.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Roland

Post by Roland »

Spectre660 wrote:The Installer was tested and working but things can change from the server side with updates.
The installer option "finish the installation" should complete the process and setup the user account .
Yes, but rechoosing this option from the menu just gave the continuously same error message.
I am not in a position to test or update the installer or any other x5000 issues currently.
Ok, I jump back to my original plan and update/upgrade the 16.04-3 image from Christian!-) So far no problems...

But when you have again time, would it be possible to you to make available a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 installation as a packed partition image? That would save the time of all users as these installers are so unreliable...
- Roland -
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Actually the installers are usually quite reliable.
The Ubuntu-Mate 16.04 grub problem is something newish.
Have seen it with the Debian Sid installers with a mismatch of ramdisk and CD image used but worked with no problems
last time I tested .
There seems to be new Ubuntu 16.04 Powerpc ramdisk from 30Jul18 so this may be the issue.
A new X5000 ramdisk would need to be done using this one .
The preinstalled image takes me about 14 hours to upload so I can't support them anymore .

My X5000 motherboard has been returned for repairs so that is my problem currently.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Roland

Post by Roland »

Spectre660 wrote:There seems to be new Ubuntu 16.04 Powerpc ramdisk from 30Jul18 so this may be the issue. A new X5000 ramdisk would need to be done using this one.
Ok, maybe it can be fixed later.
The preinstalled image takes me about 14 hours to upload so I can't support them anymore.
In that case it is definitely Christian who should put those kind of images available, not you.
My X5000 motherboard has been returned for repairs so that is my problem currently.
Aow, that is very sad to hear...:-( I hope it is something easily fixable...? I had to send my Cyrus+ for repair due to clock problems last year, and it took eight weeks before I got a replacement board. It was a looong time to wait as I do not have any other NG machine...
- Roland -
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Roland,

Please try this img: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS Live USB

Thanks,
Christian