Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Roland

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

Post by Roland »

I succeeded now to do the basic Debian 9 64bit PPC installation, but I missed totally the graphical interphase selection as 'enter' did not choose the options but started the installation process!

How should I now install the 'Mate' desktop and activate it, so that it is used automatically? Is 'apt-get install mate' enough? Do I also need to load some display manager, or something else? (I would not like to restart the whole installation from beginning as I have limited internet quota).

Btw, how can I see all the pacakages which are available via apt-get? The syntax did not show such option.
- Roland -
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

sudo apt-get install mate .
will install mate
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Roland

Post by Roland »

Spectre660 wrote:sudo apt-get install mate .
will install mate
Thanks... But as I made also the root account, sudo is not needed. Much easier that way.
I had also to install 'lightdm', the mate desktop did not start itself.

But how can I SEE all the packages available via apt-get?
- Roland -
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Installing the Debian desktop system and at least one of the desktop options during the initial installation will get you into the desktop from first boot.

Have a look here for some ideas with apt.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGe ... ge_example
Roland wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:sudo apt-get install mate .
will install mate
Thanks... But as I made also the root account, sudo is not needed. Much easier that way.
I had also to install 'lightdm', the mate desktop did not start itself.

But how can I SEE all the packages available via apt-get?
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Roland

Post by Roland »

Spectre660 wrote:Have a look here for some ideas with apt.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGe ... ge_example
Thanks... But I found an easier way - Synaptic!-) It came with the Xfce package.

With Synaptic I noticed something very interesting/strange... A Gnu shockwave flash plugin!? If I understood right the description, it should work also with Firefox, but as the latter is still broken difficult to test. Is this possible...? I checked it is not available for Debian 8 PPC32, so it must be relatively new. I thought that 'flash' has not been available for PPC since the last OSX-PPC version...
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote: Thanks... But I found an easier way - Synaptic!-) It came with the Xfce package.

With Synaptic I noticed something very interesting/strange... A Gnu shockwave flash plugin!? If I understood right the description, it should work also with Firefox, but as the latter is still broken difficult to test. Is this possible...? I checked it is not available for Debian 8 PPC32, so it must be relatively new. I thought that 'flash' has not been available for PPC since the last OSX-PPC version...
The Shockwave Flash plugin has been around for a while. It plays old *Shockwave* Flash content, but not newer Adobe Flash, so it plays some browser based games but it does not play most videos. Youtube has announced that they will completely discontinue Flash within 1.5 years anyway.
To get a good web browser video player on PPC we will either need to get VLC & VLC plugin compiled truly without Altivec, or get an updated GStreamer plugin developed (this would be my preference, but it was discontinued after Wheezy).
---Casey
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

@Casey or @Roland

Could you try the onboard DPAA Ethernet adapter with your Debian or other Linux installation.
Just to make sure if it has anything to do with my Ubuntu setup..

For the test you could bring down your regular adapter using ifconfig.
Then bring up the DPAA using mii-tool -R (ETHx) (your onboard nic)

Thanks
Last edited by Skateman on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: The Shockwave Flash plugin has been around for a while. It plays old *Shockwave* Flash content, but not newer Adobe Flash, so it plays some browser based games but it does not play most videos. Youtube has announced that they will completely discontinue Flash within 1.5 years anyway.
Ah... That's pity. There are still national broadcast companies which use stubbornly Flash, with the excuse of copy protection. Also some railroad companies use 'Flash' for their seat selection. The latter fact is the only reason I currently need an Intel based 'auxiliary machine'.
To get a good web browser video player on PPC we will either need to get VLC & VLC plugin compiled truly without Altivec, or get an updated GStreamer plugin developed (this would be my preference, but it was discontinued after Wheezy).
How complicated task the VLC without Altivec would be...?
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote:Ah... That's pity. There are still national broadcast companies which use stubbornly Flash, with the excuse of copy protection. Also some railroad companies use 'Flash' for their seat selection. The latter fact is the only reason I currently need an Intel based 'auxiliary machine'.
Gnash and/or Lightspark may be able to handle the seat selection; give it a try.
Roland wrote: How complicated task the VLC without Altivec would be...?
I'm not sure; with the right dependencies it could just need the flag "-mno-altivec". But that wouldn't work if any altivec optimizations are hard-coded in. I was going to try but there were a lot of dependencies and some had to be built first. I will give it a try next time I have a free day.

---Casey
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Skateman wrote:@Casey or @Roland

Could you try the onboard DPAA Ethernet adapter with your Debian or other Linux installation.
Just to make sure if it has anything to do with my Ubuntu setup..

For the test you could bring down your regular adapter using ifconfig.
Then bring up the DPAA using mii-tool -R (ETHx) (your onboard nic)

Thanks
I should have some time later tonight I'll give it a try!
---Casey