Ubuntu Mate 16.04 failures?

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Ubuntu Mate 16.04 failures?

Post by kilaueabart »

When I first installed Ubuntu 16.04 on my new X5000, with much help from Spectre660, I was delighted to see the Welcome window. About a year ago I had installed that OS on my X1000, but the Welcome window always came up empty and useless. When I got it on the X5000, I could open a variety of sub-windows, and I even had the option to set it not to come on anymore when I booted. After looking through it a bit, I didn't open it on subsequent boots, but remained pleased to see it.

Then one day I was poking through it, and one sub-window had something about upgrading, so I clicked it, and apparently got a system upgrade. Except, since then, the Welcome window is an empty white space as it had been on the X1000. I wish I knew how to undo that upgrade and get the Welcome window with the "Do not come on screen" option back.

Another similarity to the old X1000 version: Messages that something went wrong, averaging about one per session. I think all but one have been on the order of a "Crash" involving WebKitWebProcess with SIGSEGV in JSC::LLInt::CLoop::execute().

With the X1000 Ubuntus, not just Mate, I couldn't print anything that had color in it. It always smeared colors across the page. If I wanted to print anything more than a simple black-and-white text, I had to copy it over to Amiga OS4 and print it from there. Well, I can't print unsmeared color with my new Ubuntu either. However, I don't have to copy to OS4 because if my Raspberry Pi happens to be turned on, Ubuntu print requests give me the option of printing through the Rpi, and they come out fine. But I find it very puzzling that the little Raspberry Pi, running Linux Stretch, can print perfectly, while Ubuntu on the X5000 makes a mess.

Finally, when I click on some things I get in email in Ubuntu, nothing happens. E.g., a YouTube video might give only an arrow going in a constant circle (although moving the cursor to the bottom of the window brings up thumbnails of any portion of the video). Again, I must use Remote Desktop Viewer, and depend on the Raspberry Pi to view those videos or make those links open something.

I suspect I must have done something wrong, or failed to do something, along the way?
xeno74

Re: Ubuntu Mate 16.04 failures?

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: Then one day I was poking through it, and one sub-window had something about upgrading, so I clicked it, and apparently got a system upgrade.
Hi Kilaueabart,

Which version of ubuntu MATE do you have after the system upgrade?

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Re: Ubuntu Mate 16.04 failures?

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote: Hi Kilaueabart,

Which version of ubuntu MATE do you have after the system upgrade?

Thanks,
Christian
Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, Codename xenial
Assuming that is what you mean.

That is what I get if I follow instructions found through Google for getting the version number, but there seems to be another kind of MATE version number, running from 1.2 to 1.18. I don't know how to find out where (or if) I fall in this range.

Thanks,
Bart