Youtube, etc.

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Youtube, etc.

Post by kilaueabart »

Am I the only one who can't watch videos with Ubuntu MATE 16.04? I search on "youtube," and find people saying that it works with 17.04, but nobody saying it doesn't work on anything.

Some video sites will show things moving for a few seconds, then repeat, over and over. No sound. Youtube gives me nothing except a little circular arrow going around and around.

Everything of the sort works splendidly in Odyssey on the Amiga side. I would expect Ubuntu to also handle such things. And indeed it did on my X1000.
Skateman

Re: Youtube, etc.

Post by Skateman »

Nope your not alone... same here.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Try Youtube browser for SMPlayer and Smplayer.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install smplayer smtube mpv
For GPU video assisted playback you need an older video card before the Radeon SI family.
It is possible to use one of these for Linux and a Radeon SI card for AmigaOS 4.1 on the X5000.
I have no problem playing back 720p youtube videos with my pciex1 Fire Pro2250 in Linux.
See the thread linked below for information and updates on this.

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =58&t=3917

quote="kilaueabart"]Am I the only one who can't watch videos with Ubuntu MATE 16.04? I search on "youtube," and find people saying that it works with 17.04, but nobody saying it doesn't work on anything.

Some video sites will show things moving for a few seconds, then repeat, over and over. No sound. Youtube gives me nothing except a little circular arrow going around and around.

Everything of the sort works splendidly in Odyssey on the Amiga side. I would expect Ubuntu to also handle such things. And indeed it did on my X1000.[/quote]
Last edited by Spectre660 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

@Spectre660

Tried SMplayer but crashes...Has to do with the Graphics driver as you mentioned...but swapping the videocard is just not an option.

The whole graphical part is still a bit problematic...
- VLC not starting
- Welcome screen and Software boutique are showing of a White screen.
- Youtube not able to play videos

Glxgears, and Glxinfo show me that the GL part is running fine.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

For Smplayer you need to set the correct video driver in the Options:General:Video
In your case for a Radeon SI card = X11 (slow).
Also make sure that the Mplayer/mpv executable is /usr/bin/mpv
You may also have to install mpv (cant remember is installing smplayer did this automatically)
if not

sudo apt-get install mpv
VLC is not working.Needs to be compiled without altivec but there were other issues as well.
At some point it was loading but the displayed video was upside down

My method is not video card swapping. Both cards are installed in the machine at once.
This is something new. have only had it working for about 2 weeks now.
The Radeon SI card is in the pciex16 slot and the older pciex1 card in a pciex1 slot.

What you may have is a software implementation of GL (llvmpipe) if you have a Radeon SI card .
Works ok for some things but not for thinks like 3D games and does not help with full screen video playback .

Skateman wrote:@Spectre660

Tried SMplayer but crashes...Has to do with the Graphics driver as you mentioned...but swapping the videocard is just not an option.

The whole graphical part is still a bit problematic...
- VLC not starting
- Welcome screen and Software boutique are showing of a White screen.
- Youtube not able to play videos

Glxgears, and Glxinfo show me that the GL part is running fine.
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Thanks again Spectre660 i will give it a try.

P.S I have a Radeon R250 Graphics card in the X5000
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

I have both a Radeon R7-250 (Verde) (for AmigaOS 4.1) and a Radeon FirePro 2250 (For Linux).
The aecond card for Linux makes a big difference in the Linux experience.

quote="Skateman"]Thanks again Spectre660 i will give it a try.

P.S I have a Radeon R250 Graphics card in the X5000[/quote]
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Spectre660 wrote:Try Youtube browser for SMPlayer and Smplayer.

sudo apt-get install smplayer smtube
I thought I used to use something called SMPlayer on the Amiga, but it certainly wasn't anything as fancy and useful-looking as that. However, it doesn't work, only "unexpectedly" crashing for my first tries at YouTube browser, but now just nothing. On the other hand, after setting to X11, it will jump through an MP4 with less than a second of motion in greatly separated scenes.

I'm going to have to study (google?) a lot to figure out what this is all about:
For GPU video assisted playback you need an older video card before the Radeon SI family.
It is possible to use one of these for Linux and a Radeon SI card for AmigaOS 4.1 on the X5000.
I have no problem playing back 720p youtube videos with my pciex1 Fire Pro2250 in Linux.
See the thread linked below for information and updates on this.

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =58&t=3917
When I first installed 16.04, I was delighted that Welcome worked, for several days, until one day I actually clicked clicked on something in it having to do with updating :( . I wish I had chosen the option not to display Welcome on boot instead.

For YouTube I can use my Rpi3 with Remote Access Viewer, but that doesn't work for files stored on the X5000.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Smplayer Settings
Attachments
1.png
2.png
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Smplayer settings 2