Puzzled again, over memory this time

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Puzzled again, over memory this time

Post by kilaueabart »

A couple days ago Ubuntu (16.04.3) notified me that I didn't have enough ram to do something it apparently thought it should. I asked System Monitor about it. I found out I didn't understand what it told me: I have only 3.8 GiB of "Memory" but 25.5 GiB of "disk space"?

So then I asked GParted about it and got only more confusing numbers.
memorypuzzle.png
Skateman

Re: Puzzled again, over memory this time

Post by Skateman »

If it is talking about RAM, it has nothing to do with Harddisk space.

How much memory do u have installed in the X5000? I Guess 4 GB. (due to the 3.8GB shown in system monitor screenshot)
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Skateman wrote:If it is talking about RAM, it has nothing to do with Harddisk space.

How much memory do u have installed in the X5000? I Guess 4 GB. (due to the 3.8GB shown in system monitor screenshot)
My mind is going so fast lately! Believe it or not, "memory" didn't even make me think of RAM! Like I haven't been installing RAM in one machine or another for 41 years.

4GB is right. I see I now I could have had 8GB for another $35. But I also remember believing from my X1000 days that 4GB was the working max.
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

@kilaueabart

FWIW 3.8 GB is more RAM than is supported by my PC. The maximum amount of memory that is usable with the old Asus P5LD2 motherboard that I'm using is about 3.1 GB.