Video in Linux

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
appturk
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Video in Linux

Post by appturk »

I have read that a FireMV 2260 256MB card works well with hardware acceleration under linux. I bought one with pcie 16x there is no hardware acceleration of any kind with this card. Youtube was reported to work well with this card. It does not work at all. It works just like a Radeon HD 6450, aa a lowest common dominator card. I have Ubuntu-mate 16.04.1 with the 4.14.15 Kernel. I may be missing somthing and I sure hope that I am :)

A
acefnq

Re: Video in Linux

Post by acefnq »

Are you using this as a second card? I believe this needs an OS4 compatible card to be in the main slot to intitialise. I am using one as a second card (using HDMI as the output) and it works very well with Linux with 3D and video playback.

ace
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Both the Radeon HD6450 as the primary card and the Radeon Fire MV2260 as a secondary card support hardware acceleration.

My Linux installers use the Fbdev device in the xorg.conf.
This allows the installation to work with all supported Radeon cards graphics cards.
This means that hardware acceleration is disabled by default even if you have a card that supports it.
To enable hardware acceleration with compatible cards and to allow the dual graphics card option with a Radeon SI card to work a couple of things need to be done. These I found out after doing the installers and after some upgrades to mesa were introduced into the various Linux distributions.
It is best that they are done manually after initial installation for now as not to break any future Linux upgrades.
First is to prevent the libglamor module from loading. It is loaded if a Radeon SI card is detected and causes xorg to crash.
Second is to remove the xorg.conf so that xorg configures automatically.
Use the following commands

Code: Select all

sudo mv '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so' '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so.bak'
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
Once these are done then on rebooting hardware acceleration will be enabled for any video card that supports it.
That is any card from a Radeon 7000 up to a Radeon 6000 series card as well as compatible ATI Fire models .
appturk wrote:I have read that a FireMV 2260 256MB card works well with hardware acceleration under linux. I bought one with pcie 16x there is no hardware acceleration of any kind with this card. Youtube was reported to work well with this card. It does not work at all. It works just like a Radeon HD 6450, aa a lowest common dominator card. I have Ubuntu-mate 16.04.1 with the 4.14.15 Kernel. I may be missing somthing and I sure hope that I am :)

A
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
appturk
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by appturk »

@ spectre660

I am not getting this. If I am, then let me ask, I “need to run 2 cards" for "one" to work using hardware acceleration? on a system that was made to support only one video card? help me understand this. As I stated I am using 1 card (Fire MV2260) that is pcie 16x not pcie1x. This is also a Linux test system with no AmigaOS installed. Am I to understand that the Radeon HD 6450 does not support hardware acceleration under Linux PowerPC. The only cards I am seeing referenced on this forum that do are MV2250/60. There is nothing "even close" to modern Radeon cards to support hardware acceleration under Linux PowerPC. Am I understanding this correctly?

"My Linux installers use the Fbdev device in the xorg.conf.
This allows the installation to work with all supported Radeon cards graphics cards.
This means that hardware acceleration is disabled by default even if you have a card that supports it."

I truly do not understand this logic. I am not a Linux expert but I am missing somthing big time. Sorry I am just trying to understand :)

Thanks Much
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

follow the instructions in my fist post about removing the two files.

Code: Select all

sudo mv '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so' '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so.bak'
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
Then Reboot.

appturk wrote:@ spectre660

I am not getting this. If I am, then let me ask, I “need to run 2 cards" for "one" to work using hardware acceleration? on a system that was made to support only one video card? help me understand this. As I stated I am using 1 card (Fire MV2260) that is pcie 16x not pcie1x. This is also a Linux test system with no AmigaOS installed. Am I to understand that the Radeon HD 6450 does not support hardware acceleration under Linux PowerPC. The only cards I am seeing referenced on this forum that do are MV2250/60. There is nothing "even close" to modern Radeon cards to support hardware acceleration under Linux PowerPC. Am I understanding this correctly?

"My Linux installers use the Fbdev device in the xorg.conf.
This means that hardware acceleration is disabled by default even if you have a card that supports it."

I truly do not understand this logic. I am not a Linux expert but I am missing somthing big time. Sorry I am just trying to understand :)

Thanks Much
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card