kernel upgrade

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Re: kernel upgrade

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote:
kilaueabart wrote: What I copied over and renamed was not what I recognized by its icon as a kernel, but a file called cyrus-4.15. I assume vmlinux-4.15 wouldn't have worked?
Which kernel package did you download? The correct kernel name is uImage-4.15. You can rename it to uImage-cyrus if you like. vmlinux-4.15 is the X1000 Linux kernel.
I thought I had mentioned that I downloaded the "Stable 4.15.4," but that was in the original post I deleted, about U-boot not finding uImage-cyrus because my renaming had failed. I'll have to investigate and find out why it didn't want to read uImage-4.15, if I didn't really have to rename it.

No wonder vmlinux-4.15 looked like the right one to me. I did a lot of kernel upgrading on the X1000, but nowhere else.

When I went to upgrade Firefox, it told me I already had the most up-to-date, but then it added a whole bunch of new files. I don't get the "you better upgrade your browser" message anymore, but my e-mail actually works worse (conks out when I ask it to delete) than before.

Anyway, thanks again for your several years of help.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Kilaueabart,

Does your X5000 boots currently? If yes then uImage-cyrus works. You can download a new kernel and rename it to uImage-cyrus if you like. Then copy uImage-cyrus to the USB flash drive. After a reboot, the new kernel is active. ;-)
I suggest to test the Midori WebKit web browser instead of Firefox.

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote:...
I suggest to test the Midori WebKit web browser instead of Firefox.
I recall that earlier versions of Ubuntu that I ran on the X1000 came with a few browsers one could select from the menu and I used Midori sometimes.

I decided to download it and give it a try, but the attempt results in an interesting problem. I go to midori.org and click on Download. I am given the choice of Ubuntu, among others, but so far I have not been able to make the choice. Firefox closes "unexpectedly" every time I try!

OK, apt-get install works. I should have tried that first. Another strange problem, maybe not real:

Code: Select all

Midori can't find the page you're looking for

The page located at “” cannot be found. Check the web address for misspelled words and try again.
Error opening file: No such file or directory
Why is it looking for “” ? No matter. It let me log on to Hyperion and edit this post. I'll continue to test on other sites.