Where's my memory going?

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Where's my memory going?

Post by kilaueabart »

A few days ago I had trouble installing Kernel 4.19. MATE 16.05.5 complained that it was out of memory. Christian suggested I increase the size of the MATE partition. My REMIX partition was in the way, but I moved it over about 100 GiB and then tripled the size of MATE's partition to about 150 GiB:
devsdc.png
That seemed to solve the problem. The question of why, if only 49.78 GiB of 151.70 GiB is used, is only 2.64 GiB "available" didn't bother me as long as the thing was working.

However, while working in MATE today I got a not-enough-memory warning (and there wasn't enough memory for a screen save, so I used my camera):
nomemory.jpg
I let the Disk analyser run (and run and run) and at long last got this result:
diskusageafter.png
One thing I would like to know is why isn't an available "78.8 GB" enough room to run MATE? Also why is that 78.8 GB available recognized as only 217.1 kB of disk space remaining?

Is there any way to figure out what is going on, and fix it? I really need my MATE, but I can no longer open a file in it.
xeno74

Re: Where's my memory going?

Post by xeno74 »

Maybe I have a solution. Please decrease the partition a little bit and after that increase the partition. I hope it helps.

— Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
K-L

Post by K-L »

Hi,

* Use GParted from your Live USB or DVD
* Select the partition where you've installed Linux
* Use the "Check" command
* Wait until it finishes

And voilà, your partition will have access to the whole space.

This happened because you used the "dd" command to write the image disk to your partition. I had to do this to solve the same problem with MATE 2017 Remix (installed on a 240 GB HD ans only 16GB used and usable).
--
AmigaONE X1000 / Radeon 2400 Pro (R610LE) / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Samm440ep/733Mhs (o/c) / Radeon M9 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

K-L wrote:Hi,

* Use GParted from your Live USB or DVD
* Select the partition where you've installed Linux
* Use the "Check" command
I don't think I have a Live USB or DVD, but I did it from the REMIX install, and I think it worked. I haven't rebooted yet but "132.01 GiB" under Unused looks pretty good to me, in that adding 19.69 Used brings it to the total 151.70 Size.

I think I should do the same to my REMIX partition from MATE. Right now 97.39 GiB total Size is divided into 11.57 GiB Used and 2.10 GiB Unused.

Thanks for the great tip!