Updated install instructions

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Updated install instructions

Post by JohnFante »

@xeno74 and others!

First: A great thank you for all your work for linux on the X5000 :-)

Second: A thought/idea/suggestions!

Since there are new users coming to the X5000 all the time (not in great numbers but there is movement :-)) it could be beneficial with a stickypost in the top of the Linux section with updated install instructions. What is the recommended hardware for an optimal setup with dual screen etc., how do you install to the latest version from scratch etc. It would make things a lot easier for newcomers (and the rest of us who did it long time ago and destroyed our install somehow ... :oops: :oops:).

Just a suggestions! :-)
X5000 :-)
xeno74

Re: Updated install instructions

Post by xeno74 »

Your idea is great but I don’t know how to start. We have so many distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, SliTaz, Debian, MATE PowerPC Remix, Live DVD distributions, Live USB distributions, PPC64 and PPC32 distributions, several versions of the distributions etc etc). Actually I have to write for all distributions installation instructions. This is too much for me. I need help from others.

But there are some installation instructions in the distributions threads in this forum. You can try these and write your experiences or new instructions here. We would help you as good as we can.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JohnFante »

xeno74 wrote:Your idea is great but I don’t know how to start. We have so many distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, SliTaz, Debian, MATE PowerPC Remix, Live DVD distributions, Live USB distributions, PPC64 and PPC32 distributions, several versions of the distributions etc etc). Actually I have to write for all distributions installation instructions. This is too much for me. I need help from others.

But there are some installation instructions in the distributions threads in this forum. You can try these and write your experiences or new instructions here. We would help you as good as we can.
The many choices is one of the strengths of Linux but also a drawback for all newbies :-)

I will start a basic "install for newbies" thread for the latest version of Ubuntu. Please bear over with my mistakes and and chip in as much as you can. I will maybe send you a draft on PM to avoid to much damage .... ;-)
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

JohnFante wrote: I will start a basic "install for newbies" thread for the latest version of Ubuntu. Please bear over with my mistakes and and chip in as much as you can. I will maybe send you a draft on PM to avoid to much damage .... ;-)
Fantastic! :-)

Just for info:

Canonical removed the PowerPC architecture last year. Consequently Canonical will not releasing new PowerPC images and updates for new distributions like 17.10, 18.04, and 18.10. Ubuntu MATE 16.04 will continue to support 32-bit PowerPC until 2019 and Canonical will offer security updates for the version 16.04 until 2021. The latest LTS release is 16.04.5. Fortunately we have a fork of the last ubuntu MATE (17.04), which I have updated and released as the MATE PowerPC Remix 2017. The latest version is 0.9. For this version there are some updates available.
Installation instructions for creating a MATE PowerPC Remix 0.9 USB stick

Download Links:

MATE_PowerPC_Remix_2017_0.9.img.tar.bz2 (Google Drive)

MATE_PowerPC_Remix_2017_0.9.img.tar.bz2 (Xenosoft.de)

Download Size: 5.1 GB

MD5 Checksum: e877ac30f7d001cd2ab6cab8e824520e

You only need to copy the image with 'dd' to a partition on your USB flash drive.

Create two partitions on your USB flash drive. A small FAT16 boot partition and a big partition without a file system. Copy the dtb file and the Linux kernel to the first small FAT16 boot partition. After that copy the MATE PowerPC Remix img with 'dd' to the second big partition.

For example the partition /dev/sdd2 on a USB flash drive:

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=MATE_PowerPC_Remix_2017_0.9.img of=/dev/sdd2
You can boot it with the following commands (for example from /dev/sdd2):

setenv bootargs root=/dev/sdd2 rootdelay=5

fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-4.19

fatload usb 0:1 2000000 cyrus.dtb

bootm 1000000 - 2000000
If it doesn't boot then try "usb start" and "usb reset".

JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JohnFante »

Thank you very much :D

I have two disk installed in my system. One connected to the internal controller and one connected to a SII3114. I normally have my linux on the HDD connected to my SII3114. Worked fine so far.

However, when I try to boot the new image from USB I get an kernel pacic saying that it can not find root. In other words I am pointing to the wrong place with my bootargs root command.

If I have two drives, DVD and a USB connected to my system them:
should for the second partition on the USB in my case be:
setenv bootargs root=/dev/sdc2 rootdelay=5
Or?

I also get an kernel panic with:
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

JohnFante wrote:I normally have my linux on the HDD connected to my SII3114. Worked fine so far.
Please boot your installed Linux and connect the USB stick. After that you can see with the command lsblk the correct block device name.

JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JohnFante »

Ok. I will try to get a 16.04 install up and running then. Thank you :-)