Welcome First Contact customers

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
AmigaDave

Re: Welcome First Contact customers

Post by AmigaDave »

Well, FedEX solved all of my Customs Clearance problems and just delivered my X1000 package. It is pretty beaten up, so I am hoping that everything inside the box is okay. Just thought I would pop on to this forum and let all of you know that it made it here, before I start unpacking it. Not sure I will make a video of unpacking it, as that has already been done at least once or twice. Everyone knows what the boxes look like and don't need to see that again. I will try to make one or two videos of me using it over the next few days.

Time to go unpack my first ever brand new (not NOS) "Amiga" purchase. All of my previous Amiga models were purchased used from other Amiga users (plus one NOS A1200 from AmigaKit and a NOS CDTV from Carl Sassenrath, both purchased at the 2010 AmiWest Show).

Exciting times! :D
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
AmigaNG

Post by AmigaNG »

Hi all!
I will try not to bother you guys with too many questions but its nice to know you guys are here to help us new late comers to the party.
Really enjoying the system so far, not had too much time on the system due to work and overtime this week but next week plan to really test it out, so far have only really sorted out and tested the browers, Timberwolf looks very promising, I really hope they can get YouTube HTML5 working, tried it and it did load a video then crash :? But its a great start. TuneNet is grate program too, shame the search for station does'nt work, but pleased that I can still grab urls for it work. Any way so far so good. :D
2012 - the year I got a new Amiga and the world ended.....a good year.
kicko

Post by kicko »

Hi. I thought i already posted here and presented myself but seems not. Here we go again.

Got my x1000 beginning of this month and i just love it. OS4 feels much more robust then on my A1. The speed is nice, specially when browsing with owb-mui. And the 4gb memory (2gb virtually) is so welcome specially as owb-mui (webkit) leaks memory (freed on exit). I replaced soundcard with the ESI Julia i have in my A1 and it still works good. Midi with Usb works good to. Havent used that much. Arteffect works as before too. Got also a new version of hd-rec that works better under os4. So i feel i can replace the A1 with x1000.

Looking forward for 3D drivers and os4.2 later :) It will be a joyride seeing os4 develops to use second core later and other stuff. So im pretty pleased with the purchased. Its costy but i will probably have it for some more years.

So what doesnt work for me?.
1.mplayer dont show video but its easily solved using -vo cgx_wpa.
2.The sign "@" dont work in latest beta of timberwolf with my logitech k750 usb keyboard. Thats with the swedish settings. I use left windows + 2 key. Works on everything else except timberwolf. If i change to american keyboard setting then i can use shift+2.

Here you can find my album from facebook with my x1000 and also the old A1G4XE.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 9a2d68542c
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kicko wrote:And the 4gb memory (2gb virtually) is so welcome
Hope this will not make you too sad, but you are actually "only" able to use 2GB of memory. The current OS can't address more, whether real or virtual. So once 2 GB of physical memory is installed, swapping is no longer done, and you might as well not have a swap partition.

Anyway, this goes to show that AmigaOS works so fine in 2GB that you thought you had 4 ;-).

Best regards,

Niels
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

kicko wrote:1.mplayer dont show video but its easily solved using -vo cgx_wpa.
I suggest you stop using that ancient MPlayer port, and switch to MUI-MPlayer instead. It has a nice GUI (which you can configure Prefs with), and also seems more stable.

Note that in Prefs, Video Driver needs setting to cgx_wpa, and Audio Driver MAY need setting to ahi_dev. Don't try using "Allow Framedrop", as this generally makes things much WORSE (I think the frameskip algorithm is broken).
kicko

Post by kicko »

Yes i know about the 2gb limit, thats why i typed virtually 2gb :) I bought 4gb so when we get >2gb support i can use it. About Swap i dont know if amigakit made any. All i can see is an not mounted partition called BDH0 that is 116mb big with standard filesystem. But as you said i dont need any.

About mplayer i use the mui-mplayer version. It also couldn't show the video before i changed in prefs to use wpa.

About the keyboard. I found a solution that works for me for now. I use the swapaltamiga in firmware boot. And i found a file i used with my old A1 where i also used a logitech keyboard without the right windows/amiga key. To be able to copy/paste text i type 0x000700E4 in the file envarc:usb/hid.keyboard/rgui. So im fine for now.

http://the-gadgeteer.com/wp-content/upl ... 750-05.jpg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kicko wrote:Yes i know about the 2gb limit, thats why i typed virtually 2gb :)
Okay - I read you as if you meant 2 GB physical plus 2 GB "virtual", which is what many people say when they really mean swap. And I just thought I'd make sure you hadn't misunderstood that.

Best regards,

Niels
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

kicko wrote:Yes i know about the 2gb limit, thats why i typed virtually 2gb :) I bought 4gb so when we get >2gb support i can use it. About Swap i dont know if amigakit made any. All i can see is an not mounted partition called BDH0 that is 116mb big with standard filesystem. But as you said i dont need any.

About mplayer i use the mui-mplayer version. It also couldn't show the video before i changed in prefs to use wpa.

About the keyboard. I found a solution that works for me for now. I use the swapaltamiga in firmware boot. And i found a file i used with my old A1 where i also used a logitech keyboard without the right windows/amiga key. To be able to copy/paste text i type 0x000700E4 in the file envarc:usb/hid.keyboard/rgui. So im fine for now.

Nice keyboard! I like that it is solar powered, as I hate having to replace, or recharge keyboard batteries all the time. The cheap wireless keyboard that I bought a few years ago to use with my Efika & MorphOS2.0 does not appear to have a sleep function, or off button, so I have to remove the batteries every time I am done using it, which is a huge PITA. If I was smart, I would figure out some way to solder an on/off switch into the battery wiring, no matter how ugly it might look.

I am using the AmigaKit/A-Eon keyboard and noticed that when trying out Timberwolf, all of the vowels get displayed with accent marks, which makes URL entries not work as well as searches not work either. I have not yet figured out what the problem is, as it does not happen when using any other web browser, so I am confused on where the setting is coming from and could not find anything in the Timberwolf settings or preferences that would account for this strange behavior. I will contact AmigaKit to ask if anyone else has reported this strange behavior with their keyboards.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

kicko wrote:Yes i know about the 2gb limit, thats why i typed virtually 2gb :) I bought 4gb so when we get >2gb support i can use it. About Swap i dont know if amigakit made any. All i can see is an not mounted partition called BDH0 that is 116mb big with standard filesystem. But as you said i dont need any.

I a using this exact keyboard on my X1000. Works nicely but I must admit, I don't get the comments you made above about the swapaltamiga stuff.

Since I don't come from an Amiga background, not sure all the functions of the Amiga keys anyway.

So for example, using this exact wireless solar keyboard that you linked to, to warm boot for example I do a Ctrl Alt Alt. I took that meaning the ALT keys are being used at Amiga keys. Is that a correct statement?

What does the Microsoft Icon key act as then, an actual ALT key in Amiga OS? Curious is all so I understand.

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

amigasociety wrote:to warm boot for example I do a Ctrl Alt Alt. I took that meaning the ALT keys are being used at Amiga keys. Is that a correct statement?
Yes. If you use a non-official keyboard with an X1000, then the Alt & "Amiga" keys will be swapped, such that Alt acts as Amiga & Amiga acts as Alt. (For Windows keyboards, the "Amiga" key is the Windows key. On an Apple keyboard, the "Amiga" key is the "Cmd" (command) key.)

You can fix this problem (so that Alt is Alt & Windows is Amiga) by changing a firmware setting. You need to set "keymap_swapaltamiga" to "off". When switching-on your X1000, if you press the F key in the menu then it will take you to the firmware prompt (looks a bit like MS DOS!). You then need to enter the following command:

setenv -p keymap_swapaltamiga off

Once that is saved (it will take a few seconds), you can then get back to the menu by typing "menu", or else by resetting.

NOTE: I personally use Apple keyboards, because their "Amiga" (Cmd) key is in the same place as it is on a real Amiga. Where-as on Windows keyboards, they have the Windows & Alt keys in different positions, and as a result some keyboard shortcuts may be harder than on a real Amiga. But BEWARE that the USB hub built-into Apple keyboards might cause problems in certain cases. My Apple kbd is hidden behind a KVM Switch, so I don't know if it will work directly on an X1000 - it does with my Sam440 as far as i recall.
Last edited by ChrisH on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.