X1000 forum

This is the place to ask if you have any issues with our forum system. These include questions about your account, PM's, login trouble, etc.
xenic

X1000 forum

Post by xenic »

I've noticed some topics in the X1000 forum where I might have been able to make a useful contribution. I'm sure some other users might be able to help when issues arise about running specific 3rd party software on the X1000. I think you should allow non-X1000 users to post answers to topics in the X1000 forum but not let them start topics. At least the X1000 users might feel better supported if they are getting more responses.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: X1000 forum

Post by Slayer »

Then we'd sink into the bottomless pitt of who "qualifies" as an exception to the criteria which of course is not something the powers to be would want to maintain. (of course you might just mean open the flood gates right off)

The idea is that X1000 owners only get feedback and help from those directly involved with the X1000.

If you are able to help I'd be more inclined to believe that the post probably belongs in a more generic sub forum and not the specific X1000 one. If you can't actually do a test case then you're relying on your experience with Amigas in general and/or information picked up from the web; neither avenue is an absolute science.

The other forum boards are already a haven for this sort of freedom, and good luck to them.

I'm not trying to be difficult I'm just illustrating (from my POV) Hyperion Entertainments Message Boards point of difference when it comes to support. Sometimes there is a wait for a reply to a query but generally when there is a reply there is some viable substance than simply a concerned reply of varying speculation. I'm not saying we are not above this type of thing ourselves at times but I think you know what I mean.

p.s. we aren't flawless but we have got the tools to narrow this ratio, quality over quantity as well of course!
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
xenic

Post by xenic »

Slayer wrote: If you are able to help I'd be more inclined to believe that the post probably belongs in a more generic sub forum and not the specific X1000 one. If you can't actually do a test case then you're relying on your experience with Amigas in general and/or information picked up from the web; neither avenue is an absolute science.
I don't need a test case to inform the X1000 user who started the topic "SGrab doesn't work" that he can get SGrab from OS4Depot while he waits for an official update.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

xenic wrote:I've noticed some topics in the X1000 forum where I might have been able to make a useful contribution. I'm sure some other users might be able to help when issues arise about running specific 3rd party software on the X1000. I think you should allow non-X1000 users to post answers to topics in the X1000 forum but not let them start topics. At least the X1000 users might feel better supported if they are getting more responses.
The original idea was to keep the noise down for X1000 customers. Since the X1000 is rather pricey and unfinished we didn't want customers getting annoyed with questions from non-owners. At least, that was the plan.
ExecSG Team Lead
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

xenic wrote: I don't need a test case to inform the X1000 user who started the topic "SGrab doesn't work" that he can get SGrab from OS4Depot while he waits for an official update.
But that is precisely the sort of (well-intentioned) noise that we want to reduce. It's of no use to someone who has the installation CD in his hand.
cheers
tony
xenic

Post by xenic »

tonyw wrote:
xenic wrote: I don't need a test case to inform the X1000 user who started the topic "SGrab doesn't work" that he can get SGrab from OS4Depot while he waits for an official update.
But that is precisely the sort of (well-intentioned) noise that we want to reduce. It's of no use to someone who has the installation CD in his hand.
If you read that topic you will see that TrevorDick checked the CD and confirmed that SGrab on the 1.5 CD has no icon and crashes, so it does him no good to have the CD in his hand. This is the very reason I make the suggestion that others be allowed to help; you guys are all posting in this topic in support of the "rules" but none of you has posted any help in that topic. For goodness sake, tell the poor guy he can get SGrab at OS4Depot until an update is released.
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

ok xenic, we're obviously dealing with the last boy scout of Amigland here, lets recap:

You first post about how you and others could lend a hand in helping within the X1000
forum because you see "opportunities" to provide additional information.

I reply and give a broad overview of the boards policy and my own insights, namely:

1) the user has posted in the X1000 forum but it probably belongs in the generic one
2) if it is an X1000 specific problem then you probably NEED X1000 hardware to proceed

I know this didn't come across in so many words but this is what I meant, sorry if I
was a little vague.

You then reply with specifics concerning a particular thread and saying you don't need
to do a test case, but as you can see 1) we didn't even know you were talking about a
specific thread until now and 2) didn't I say the problem was probably posted in the
wrong forum if you could help? (as it turns out the problem with the distribution CD is an X1000
problem therefore the corresponding SGrab utility is by association where as, normally it would be a generic
AmigaOS4.x software problem)

Lets face it, some X1000 owners are going to post in the X1000 forum about anything, we all know this,
DO NOT worry, we are certainly happy to help with these less demanding problems than test
case scenarios.

Steven replies with a sensible overview

tonyw replies with a commonsense approach

REMEMBER: none of us probably visited the thread your talking about, or quickly browsed it
and saw someone in our ranks was already attending to it and it seemed pretty straight
forward

Then you finally reply with all your great opinion, insight and vindication, stamping hard
your obvious victory of purpose.

Am I saying what you are saying isn't a reasonably good idea? (I am referring to the suggestion to direct the user to alternative options but not the purpose of your thread) No, what I AM saying is it is
still NOT your place to be worrying about what happens in a restricted X1000 forum. The reason you and others who do not own an X1000 has read access is for informative purposes, it's not there for you to scrutinise and rate If the user wants something they will generally repost, this is how it works most of the time.

Please just relax and who knows perhaps the user wondered off and acquired a full installation
I'd like to think most people who are genuinely interested in AmigaOS4.x and who actually DO
own an X1000 would almost certainly know about OS4Depot
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x