ATO Groups

This forum is for discussion of the AmigaOS 4.x localization. This includes translation errors as well as proposals for improved translations, and other topics related to localization.
walkero
Site Admin

ATO Groups

Post by walkero »

Is there a possibility to reorganise the ATO Groups, which are the best way to have good translations of various programs and the AmigaOS itself? I'm member of the Greek ATO and I made a lot of translations, including the AmigaOS 4.x. I believe that it would be better for everyone to ask ATO to create the translations, who have the experience and the way to test and fix translations.
If you develop or want to develop for AmigaOS 4.x, then join us at OS4Coding.net
Prober
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: ATO Groups

Post by Prober »

In my opinion, unfortunately not.
Pegasos II, G4 7447 / 1266MHz, 2048MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9250, HDD 2x360GB, ZIP250 USB, USB floppy, HP LaserJet 1100, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 1
abalaban
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by abalaban »

We have a bunch a French speaking people organized as a thing I (because I was the initiator of this team organization) auto-proclaimed to be ATO-fr.
We even set up a website here we tried to develop an engine which can be easily adopted by any other interested ATO (or similar) team.
AmigaOne X1000 running AOS 4 beta
AmigaOne XE/G4
Amiga 1200/PPC 603e + BVision PPC
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Prober wrote:In my opinion, unfortunately not.
Mmm why not ?
What we miss is only a good organization IMHO, as italian user i translated in my own language many software but only because i prefer to work alone instead (when i take a translation project) but with some kind of organization you can easly found 2/3 peoples more for language, then just put up a website with some guideline infos and you can start ;)
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I would like to resurrect this oldie thread, and ask walkero about the Greek ATO department. Links regarding to it are broken (or changed?), and I cannot find any further information on the internet. Also didn't get any reply since ages. Is it still alive? As far as I can see, AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 needs a fresh greek translation.
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

My long term plan is to open up the AmigaOS catalog description files to the public so that anybody can help translate them.

I also want to create a Python version of CatComp to remove any platform dependencies. I believe a Ruby version is already available so this should not be too difficult to accomplish.

This project is still on my to do list.
ExecSG Team Lead
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

ssolie wrote:My long term plan is to open up the AmigaOS catalog description files to the public so that anybody can help translate them.
Understandable, given how few we are left these days, and how many languages are more or less without any active translators. But the danger of course is that translations will not follow any standards and be of wildly varying quality, unless steps are taken against it. Things like a review scheme and publishing of whichever translation guides and standards do exist from the old ATO departments, for instance. You could also consider "appointing" (mentioning the names of) those of us who have been undertaking the work until now and are still active, in the hope that any future volunteers will want to cooperate with us rather than embark on their own translation project.
I also want to create a Python version of CatComp to remove any platform dependencies. I believe a Ruby version is already available so this should not be too difficult to accomplish.
We should put on the same list the task of creating a port (or rewrite or whatever is possible) of CatCheck as well. I find it indispensable and always run it after any CatComp run. It catches a lot of those errors that we as translators had to know about and weed out manually before.

Best regards,

Niels
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

@nbache
+1
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

I'll put my hand up for supporting Japanese Language materials... though I am still working through Perception-IME as well as my own itch to scratch for this...

If(When?) the system catalogs become available I would definitely be translating them for Japanese as well.

nbache: are the sources for that tool available somewhere or a more general description of what it looks for?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Belxjander wrote:nbache: are the sources for that tool available somewhere or a more general description of what it looks for?
The program was written by Soenke Tesch, and he continued maintaining it even quite a bit after he stopped being active in ATO. I did try back then to ask if I could get a copy, but he wanted to maintain it a bit longer.

I believe someone else took over at a later date, but I forgot who - maybe Cyborg or Elwood? If so, they will hopefully chime in here.

IIRC, the docs accompanying the program (on Aminet) are quite detailed and can give some idea of the types of checks made.

Best regards,

Niels