Welcome!!

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Welcome!!

Post by DarrenHD »

HI everyone! I'd like to formally welcome you to the Classic forum! If you have any questions about AmigaOS 4.x Classic running on our Amiga 1200, 3000[T], or 4000[T], please post them here!

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
nubechecorre

Re: Welcome!!

Post by nubechecorre »

Nice news from hyperion! just registered and here to say hello to everyone!

In the next week i'll set up my amiga 1200 with my new mediator and PPC and Radeon and Voodoo to install Amiga OS Classic :)

Stay tuned! :-)
http://www.os4games.it

Sam440ep mini-itx

Classic System:

Amiga 1200
PowerPC 603+ 68040 25 Mhz + 256MbRam
Radeon 9250 128Mb VRam
Voodoo 3 3000 16Mb VRam
HD-Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 Gb PATA
DVD-RW LG Dual Layer
SoundBlaster PCI 128
4xEIDE Buffered Interface Elbox
Cocolino Interface Elbox
AmigaOne White Mouse
amigakit
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by amigakit »

Hello and welcome
Customer Help & Support: http://www.amigakit.com/help

www.amigakit.com Amiga Computer Store
Lecta
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Lecta »

Hello from me too!
Neil_P

Post by Neil_P »

I'm considering upgrading to Classic OS4.1, but I previously bought Classic OS4.0, which, due to the many problems with it I have had very little use from it, it's basically like new, very little mileage, one careful owner, you know the rest.

So ... Is there going to be either an upgrade price or a trade in discount to migrate to Classic OS4.1? :?:

I know, I know, Darren Eveland keeps saying the 'point one' does not show the amount of work, and the considerable improvement that Classic OS 4.1 has over Classic OS 4.0 - but surely that is my point.

I paid good money, and got a poorly supported, barely usable OS that is frankly the ONLY Amiga OS upgrade that I REGRET buying, and I moved from OS - well we used to call is Workbench 1.3, to WB2.04, then to WB2.1, then WB3.0, then WB3.1, then WB3.5, then WB3.9 up to Boing Bag 2 + Euro update.

I want to support Classic OS 4.1, BUT paying yet another comparatively large sum of money for an Amiga OS is not really fair, considering the appalling mess that occured for many, many Classic OS4.0 users when they tried, and failed, and tried, and failed, and ... well you must realise what I mean by now.

I'm really hesitant about spending the money, even though it's for my favourite platform, but I've been 'bitten' once, so don't want that happening again, and certainly not by the amount currently being asked for. whatever the improvements.

I'd like you to consider the fairness for those of us who've hung on for such a long time to get to Classic OS4.x, AND be able to USE IT ! :!:

Then step back, pause for a moment, and ask yourselves if you're being fair to those users, and then make your decision.

I want to be treated fairly, and I'd like the many other users to be treated in the same fair manner, so I'm asking for a fair decision on this sensitive subject, and hope to hear some heart-warming news from you in the near future.

Thanks for being there. 8-)
SAM 440ep-flex 733MHz 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 PCI, OS4.1FE Upd 1, Amiga A1200 Blizzard SCSi PPC G3 240Mhz/060-50Mhz, 256MB + 200MB -> Radeon 9200 256MB in Mediator TX, + Voodoo 3 3000 16MB, Sound Blaster Live + TT-SOLO-1 soundcards, Spider USB, Ethernet RTL8139 + RTL8029AS, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI.
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Neil_P wrote:I'm considering upgrading to Classic OS4.1, but I previously bought Classic OS4.0, which, due to the many problems with it I have had very little use from it, it's basically like new, very little mileage, one careful owner, you know the rest.

So ... Is there going to be either an upgrade price or a trade in discount to migrate to Classic OS4.1? :?:

I know, I know, Darren Eveland keeps saying the 'point one' does not show the amount of work, and the considerable improvement that Classic OS 4.1 has over Classic OS 4.0 - but surely that is my point.

I paid good money, and got a poorly supported, barely usable OS that is frankly the ONLY Amiga OS upgrade that I REGRET buying, and I moved from OS - well we used to call is Workbench 1.3, to WB2.04, then to WB2.1, then WB3.0, then WB3.1, then WB3.5, then WB3.9 up to Boing Bag 2 + Euro update.

I want to support Classic OS 4.1, BUT paying yet another comparatively large sum of money for an Amiga OS is not really fair, considering the appalling mess that occured for many, many Classic OS4.0 users when they tried, and failed, and tried, and failed, and ... well you must realise what I mean by now.

I'm really hesitant about spending the money, even though it's for my favourite platform, but I've been 'bitten' once, so don't want that happening again, and certainly not by the amount currently being asked for. whatever the improvements.

I'd like you to consider the fairness for those of us who've hung on for such a long time to get to Classic OS4.x, AND be able to USE IT ! :!:

Then step back, pause for a moment, and ask yourselves if you're being fair to those users, and then make your decision.

I want to be treated fairly, and I'd like the many other users to be treated in the same fair manner, so I'm asking for a fair decision on this sensitive subject, and hope to hear some heart-warming news from you in the near future.

Thanks for being there. 8-)
Hi Neil, I can't really speak for OS 4.0 Classic, since I wasn't really involved with that Project. All I can say is that myself, Carl Moppet, the entire AmigaOS development team, and Hyperion Management worked hard on AmigaOS 4.1 Classic and made it the best we could. It's a significant upgrade from 4.0 - as is the case with all 4.1 releases for all platforms. It will further be supported by subsequent updates. Take a look at the feature list, FAQ, and hardware compatibility guide, and make your decision.

In any case we'll be here to answer questions :)

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
Neil_P

Post by Neil_P »

Hi Darren,

So would you be the person to make the financial decision as to whether an upgrade discount or a trade-in discount would be possible?

What I also mean by that, is your reply on the subject the final word as to whether a trade-in or upgrade discount would be possible?

I'm sure you remember me mentioning this sensitive subject before, but I am asking for a definitive answer on the subject, as my comment above states, as it seems only fair to offer some form of discount/trade-in, to the people who paid for Classic OS4.0. I personally would favour an upgrade discounted price of about 40%, though I'm open to negotiation on the subject.

After all, I'm just asking fellow Amiga users to be fair to me. I'm not out for revenge or something like that, just a fair deal, considering all the circumstances, but so far I've not heard a fair reply on the subject.

If Classic OS4.0 had been so good, then why the 'point one' update that has had to change the OS so much that it's no longer much like what was originally delievred in Classic OS4.0 - see my point, it got changed because it needed to be changed because it didn't work as version Classic OS4.0 - thereby me asking for an upgrade/trade-in discount!
SAM 440ep-flex 733MHz 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 PCI, OS4.1FE Upd 1, Amiga A1200 Blizzard SCSi PPC G3 240Mhz/060-50Mhz, 256MB + 200MB -> Radeon 9200 256MB in Mediator TX, + Voodoo 3 3000 16MB, Sound Blaster Live + TT-SOLO-1 soundcards, Spider USB, Ethernet RTL8139 + RTL8029AS, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI.
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Neil_P wrote:Hi Darren,

So would you be the person to make the financial decision as to whether an upgrade discount or a trade-in discount would be possible?

What I also mean by that, is your reply on the subject the final word as to whether a trade-in or upgrade discount would be possible?

I'm sure you remember me mentioning this sensitive subject before, but I am asking for a definitive answer on the subject, as my comment above states, as it seems only fair to offer some form of discount/trade-in, to the people who paid for Classic OS4.0. I personally would favour an upgrade discounted price of about 40%, though I'm open to negotiation on the subject.

After all, I'm just asking fellow Amiga users to be fair to me. I'm not out for revenge or something like that, just a fair deal, considering all the circumstances, but so far I've not heard a fair reply on the subject.

If Classic OS4.0 had been so good, then why the 'point one' update that has had to change the OS so much that it's no longer much like what was originally delievred in Classic OS4.0 - see my point, it got changed because it needed to be changed because it didn't work as version Classic OS4.0 - thereby me asking for an upgrade/trade-in discount!
Hi Neil, I have no hand in such decisions - I'm just a beta tester. Since no such discount was offered for other platforms to go from 4.0 to 4.1, I highly doubt Classic would see a discount. I suspect (and guess) that if such a discount were to be offered it would have already been done at the time AmigaOS 4.1 Classic became available. So I wouldn't count on it.

AmigaKit and Hyperion set the pricing - you are best to make your concerns known to them directly. Hyperion has an account on Amiga.org (HyperionMP) I believe, and Amigakit - well, they are easy to contact, too.

Darren
Neil_P

Post by Neil_P »

DarrenHD wrote:Hi Neil, I have no hand in such decisions - I'm just a beta tester. Since no such discount was offered for other platforms to go from 4.0 to 4.1, I highly doubt Classic would see a discount.
The case with the Classic OS4.0 is a lot different than the Amiga One or Micro Amiga One, or the Pegasos 2 or the ACube hardware as when they bought their initial OS4.x there was support in place for the OS, and problems got resolved as the OS improved, NOT SO, with Classic OS4.0. It was bought and paid for, then 1 tiny update, and DROPPED like a bad apple, until Carl and yourself, and others, after much pestering to Hyperion, it seems, managed to move it along to where we are now, but to those of us who bought it initially, we were sold a BAD APPLE, and it left a bad taste in at least my mouth, and I feel sure for many other users.
DarrenHD wrote:I suspect (and guess) that if such a discount were to be offered it would have already been done at the time AmigaOS 4.1 Classic became available. So I wouldn't count on it.
I don't count on it, but then again, AmigaKit, and Hyperion shouldn't count on me buying it if there is no trade-in, upgrade, and I'm sure the same goesd for many other potential returning Classic Amiga OS4.x users.

I'm just about sat on the edge of the fence, and I'm ready to jump off, and it won't be towards the Amiga community, well not at this stage.
DarrenHD wrote:AmigaKit and Hyperion set the pricing - you are best to make your concerns known to them directly. Hyperion has an account on Amiga.org (HyperionMP) I believe, and Amigakit - well, they are easy to contact, too.
I hope so too, seeing as Hyperion run these message boards, and AmigaKit seem to be present on this thread. I'd have hoped all could speak about the subject, from reading these comments, and get it sorted out and then released to the Amiga community about any upgrade or trade-in from Classic OS4.0 to OS4.x. As I've said all along, it's only fair.
JurassicC
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JurassicC »

DarrenHD wrote:HI everyone! I'd like to formally welcome you to the Classic forum! If you have any questions about AmigaOS 4.x Classic running on our Amiga 1200, 3000[T], or 4000[T], please post them here!

Darren
Hello and welcome from me too, However I wont be able to help out much over the next week or so!
AT A1200T 66MHz 060 330MHz 603e Mediator TX OS 4.1 Beta
X1000 OS4.1 Beta, X5020 OS4.1 Beta, A1XE OS4.1 Beta
AT A1200 68030 ACA1232, C= A1200 Typhoon MK2 68030
CD32 TF330 / CDTV 3.1 SCSI2SD 8MB FAST RAM / CD32 FMV