CSPPC scsi controller HELP

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Fogg_80

CSPPC scsi controller HELP

Post by Fogg_80 »

My config:
A4000D
CSPPC
Mirage Pro Tower (Elbox busboard rev. 1.0 and Mediator)
Sapphire Radeon 9250 128MB 64 bit (Acube)
RTL 8029AS
ESS Solo (1938S)
Scsi chain:
Active terminator==Controller==Seagate ST39102LW==Adapter68-50pin==CD Plextor Ultraplex with terminator jumper
Floppy drive.

First boot with Boot floppy and Cd AmigaOS Classic all OK
Installation on HD scsi very easy and very fast.
After installation don't boot with HD, don't boot with Floppy Boot and Cd AmigaOS Classic.

Sorry for my bad english.

PS. With IDE devices all ok (Video, sound, ethernet ecc.), very fine with my Monitor Lacie electron blue 22".
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: CSPPC scsi controller HELP

Post by Slayer »

Before you tried installing AmigaOS 4.1 on your A4000 PPC system did it boot ok from the PPC SCSI HD under an earlier OS?

By the sounds of your post you booted the AmigaOS 4.1 CDRom via your IDE CDRom and the Floppy AmigaOS 4.1 Boot disk and then installed AmigaOS 4.1 on your PPC SCSI HD, is this correct? Then after the full installation you ejected your the CDRom and Floppy disk and then reset your machine but nothing worked?

I'm just wondering if your PPC SCSI HD worked prior to you upgrading to AmigaOS 4.1?

Sorry I can't be more help, you're a little vague in the right areas ;) try try again :D
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Fogg_80 wrote:My config:
A4000D
CSPPC
Mirage Pro Tower (Elbox busboard rev. 1.0 and Mediator)
Sapphire Radeon 9250 128MB 64 bit (Acube)
RTL 8029AS
ESS Solo (1938S)
Scsi chain:
Active terminator==Controller==Seagate ST39102LW==Adapter68-50pin==CD Plextor Ultraplex with terminator jumper
Floppy drive.

First boot with Boot floppy and Cd AmigaOS Classic all OK
Installation on HD scsi very easy and very fast.
After installation don't boot with HD, don't boot with Floppy Boot and Cd AmigaOS Classic.

Sorry for my bad english.

PS. With IDE devices all ok (Video, sound, ethernet ecc.), very fine with my Monitor Lacie electron blue 22".
Can you double check your SCSI unit is turned on in the CS PPC menu? Hold down ESC at startup to get into the CS PPC menu, go into SCSI and make sure the unit's are turned on. Set everything to ON and Automatic.

Also check out my screenshots, the first one shows the cybppc controller with a couple of partitions and their boot priority.

If the the Unit # is turned off in the CS PPC menu (again hold down ESC at power-on to access it), your SCSI drives won't be available after you turn on your amiga, so make sure that the Unit # corresponding to your SCSI ID of your SCSI hard drive is turned on in the menu.
Attachments
Amiga Early startup showing scsi hard drive available to boot.
Amiga Early startup showing scsi hard drive available to boot.
iPhone 026.jpg (45.61 KiB) Viewed 15528 times
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
Fogg_80

Post by Fogg_80 »

Slayer wrote:Before you tried installing AmigaOS 4.1 on your A4000 PPC system did it boot ok from the PPC SCSI HD under an earlier OS?

By the sounds of your post you booted the AmigaOS 4.1 CDRom via your IDE CDRom and the Floppy AmigaOS 4.1 Boot disk and then installed AmigaOS 4.1 on your PPC SCSI HD, is this correct? Then after the full installation you ejected your the CDRom and Floppy disk and then reset your machine but nothing worked?

I'm just wondering if your PPC SCSI HD worked prior to you upgrading to AmigaOS 4.1?

Sorry I can't be more help, you're a little vague in the right areas ;) try try again :D
No. Strange is that I installed OS with scsi chain listed before, after installation scsi chain don't boot. I only reboot the system. Now with scsi don't boot, my controller is dead just now?
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

Unless your 68-50 pin adapter has upper byte termination (it is not mentioned in your description), then you have incorrectly terminated your SCSI chain.

As you have an UWSCSI device before the 68-50 adapter, you need to terminate those extra bytes existing in the UWSCSI as opposed to the Narrow SCSI.

Please refer to the Cyberstorm PPC manual as reference; it has very good examples.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
Fogg_80

Post by Fogg_80 »

Calgor wrote:Unless your 68-50 pin adapter has upper byte termination (it is not mentioned in your description), then you have incorrectly terminated your SCSI chain.
I don't know, but why I installed OS? Simply luck?

As you have an UWSCSI device before the 68-50 adapter, you need to terminate those extra bytes existing in the UWSCSI as opposed to the Narrow SCSI.
You are right but my friend have scsi chain like me and all ok!!
Please refer to the Cyberstorm PPC manual as reference; it has very good examples.
Thanks, I Re-read manual.
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

I can also run SCSI chains without proper termination. However, some types of hardware combinations I have found do not like improperly terminated SCSI chains. For me I only found data corruption due to improper termination happened sometimes. So I could still install the OS but then mysterious crashes occurred. Not saying it is the problem here, but it will be one less possible cause to worry about if it is terminated properly.

If you can also look up as per DarrenHD's suggestions so as to give more information about your setup.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
camiel

Post by camiel »

I don't think the SCSI chain is the problem. Did you install two filesystems on the SCSI disk? I installed FFS and SFS and I had the same problem. Everything worked fine with kickstart 4.1 until I turned off my computer. When you turn on your computer kickstart 3.x tries to boot from your SCSI disk with two filesystems and it will freeze and crash. You only have to install the filesystem from your boot partition.
MastaTabs
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MastaTabs »

Calgor wrote:Unless your 68-50 pin adapter has upper byte termination (it is not mentioned in your description), then you have incorrectly terminated your SCSI chain.

Also make sure you have TermPower enabled on one of your SCSI devices. Otherwise termination doesn't have the wanted effect.
camiel

Post by camiel »

Now I know what I did wrong. Installing two filesystems is not a problem. I installed SFS with wrong DosType, I used 44f5300 (I only changed the last digit like FFS). Kickstart 3.1 will not work if you do this. The "early startup menu" don't work and you can't boot from any device. Check if your DosType is 53465300 if you use SFS.