Radeon 9200 not recognizes on Mediator 4000Di MKII

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Radeon 9200 not recognizes on Mediator 4000Di MKII

Post by JohnFante »

I have recently invested in a Mediator 4000Di MKII and a Radeon 9200 256 MB (2x128) + SB128 + Network card. However I can not get the graphics card to work in OS4.1. I have not yey tried OS3.9.

My system is a A4000D in a Tower setup that more less is a D standing up. Therefore the Di MKII version. The Radeon is 9200 256MB - 2x128MB - from Elbox. The combo deal (medaitor + radeon). Soundcard is a SB128 and the network card is from Dlink.

First I tried the order of the cards from the OS 4.1 FAQ:

From the top:

Empty
Soundcard
Radeon
Network
PCI bridge

And all the jumpers closed. Btw: Is that the correct setting? It says in the FAQ but in the mediator guide (!) from Elbox it looks like swap should be open!

The graphics card is not recognised during install and it goes to AGA.

Then I tried a combination that I was suggested on Amibay.

Radeon
Network
Empty
Soundcard
Bridge

The Radeon comes on after the first reset and flashes with a messed up screen, at the time where the OS4.1 Classic boot screen should be, when I try to boot (made a fresh install when I was in AGA with Radeon PCI as the graphics card) and goes in to loop. Reset, Radeon on, messed up screen, reset and so on.

The same with:

Radeon
Empty
Network
Soundcard
Bridge

I am now trying with only the Radeon in different slots. So far with no succes. I have only tried the top slot.

Any suggestions?

Rather frustrating but I had a feeling it would be ....
X5000 :-)
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Radeon 9200 not recognizes on Mediator 4000Di MKII

Post by JohnFante »

Well I think I found the solution.

I have an Indivision AGA MK2 installed. Apparently the the PCI bridgeboard somehow rested upon the Indivision and garbled up the signals.

I have removed the Indivision and now it works. I only have the graphics card in at the moment but I will try the others cards later.

And see if I can lift the bridgeboard a little.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

You can keep the two cards from touching each other by putting some non-conductive material inbetween.

Thick paper will do unless the cards get very hot.

Did that in the far too small A4K case back in the days and even once in my XE.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

I'm using rubber silicone automotive vacuum tubing to separate cards. It is compliant, heat resistant and inexpensive plus adds support to non-mount cards like ZorRam and Deneb.
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JohnFante »

danbeaver wrote:I'm using rubber silicone automotive vacuum tubing to separate cards. It is compliant, heat resistant and inexpensive plus adds support to non-mount cards like ZorRam and Deneb.
Do you have a link for that? Or is the kind you use in building when you have to - for instance - seal cracks in window frames :-)
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JohnFante »

Well maybe I was a bit quick to call that one ...

My system is running (graphicscard and SB at the moment) but I think that there is either: Something wrong with my networkcard or it is very incompatible with os 4.1 classic.

The network card is a Dlink DFE-528TX rev. E1. On Elbox homepage it is listed as one of the fast internet cards that should work OTB.

However when it is in the mediator - no matter wich place and combination - my screen is messed up (see attached pic) where it should have shown the OS4.1 boot screen and it goes into a loop :Reset, Radeon on, messed up screen, reset, Radeon off, Radeon on and so on.

All my jumpers are closed.

Anybody else seen this with that kind of card?
Attachments
Networkcard - error2.JPG
(129.35 KiB) Downloaded 4875 times
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

When the cards were already touching while running (like you write above) it may well be that your gfx card got borked due to that.
I'm not into electronics, but shortening something is never good
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JohnFante »

Fortunately no :-)

The culprit is the network card. It is incompatible with OS4.1 :-(

I have ordered a card with a Realtek 8029 chipset. It is only 10Mps, but as far as I can see on the network speed benchmark here: http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?p=518 it has some game :-)
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

THh RTL8029 is the only standard for PCI, but if you look in the forums here there is a hint that only a configuration file change is needed for an RTL8139; a better option is a USB one that will give between 10 to 100 Mbs; I have 2, a TrendNet TU2-ET100 and a NetGear FA120; the latter says it will go up to 1000 Mbs (not on my 12 Mbs cable connection); both are Asixusb class devices. As an aside, the USB sound dongle (a Turtle Amigo) gives excellent sound.
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

danbeaver, please do tell about using the rtl8139 in a classic... was not aware it could be done. Then one could use RTL8139 in both os3.9 and 4.1 - not that I think it will offer much more speed (if any) than the rtl8029.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5