Option to use ZorRAM as Fast Memory?

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Rotzloeffel

Re: Option to use ZorRAM as Fast Memory?

Post by Rotzloeffel »

Please! A4000 users need more FASTRAM ! let the user decide wether Z3 Ram is should be used or not!

create an option in the Kicklayout like

Z3RAM=SWAP
Z3RAM=FASTMEM

or something like that. I use my A1200 for running OS4.1 with 256 MB Ram! It makes no sence to use it on the A4000 because half of the Programs can´t be used because of too little RAM. Playing Wesnoth on OS4.1 makes fun.....On A4000 .... not possible.

Sorry, but we need a way to add mor Fastmem to our system! Don´t think about speed. let the user decide.

thanks in advance
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

Rotzloeffel wrote:Please! A4000 users need more FASTRAM ! let the user decide wether Z3 Ram is should be used or not!
In this case you must trust the development team.
ExecSG Team Lead
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Rotzloeffel wrote:Please! A4000 users need more FASTRAM ! let the user decide wether Z3 Ram is should be used or not!

create an option in the Kicklayout like

Z3RAM=SWAP
Z3RAM=FASTMEM

or something like that. I use my A1200 for running OS4.1 with 256 MB Ram! It makes no sence to use it on the A4000 because half of the Programs can´t be used because of too little RAM. Playing Wesnoth on OS4.1 makes fun.....On A4000 .... not possible.

Sorry, but we need a way to add mor Fastmem to our system! Don´t think about speed. let the user decide.

thanks in advance
I understand your desire, but (yes), trust me, we tested this extensively during the development. And it made the system too slow to be useable. Yes, too slow. Not "slow", but "not useable". We did our homework on this: the ZorRAM under OS4.1 Classic is effective as a paging device and that is the best use for it. If you want more paging capability you could add a swap partition on your SCSI controller as the next best option.

Unfortunately the CPU FAST SLOT was limited to 128MB of directly accessible memory and that is a limitation we will all have to live with on the A4000/A3000 systems.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Calgor wrote:Yes, it is pretty good isn't it? Now if only we could replace the CVPPC with a memory card in that slot with 2GB of RAM and update the CSPPC firmware to add 768MB of that between $10000000 and $40000000 (what that space was designed for in OS3.1), and the rest as paged (or elsewhere in memory map if possible) up to the 2GB OS limit, I imagine the CSPPC with OS4.1 would fly! CyberZorRAM anyone? =)
If you can convince Ralph Schmidt and possibly Frank Mariak to update the firmware on the CS PPC, and someone else to design/build/test/market the ram board (Maybe Individual Computers or E3B?), then it would open up the possibility of adding that support to OS 4.1 Classic.

Unfortunately getting the hardware built and the firmware upgraded are the first two things that need to be solved first. But I do agree that would be very cool :)
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!