Radeon upgrade to 256 MB os4.1 wont boot

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
danbeaver

Re: Radeon upgrade to 256 MB os4.1 wont boot

Post by danbeaver »

While I have no experience with the A1200 hardware installations for OS 4.1, looking for differences between the A4000 and your configuration leads me to the conclusion that the Blizzards 256 MB RAM takes up more memory space than the 128 MB on the CyberStormPPC. Hence, the extra 256 MB window of the Mediator (512 MB jumper) set to allow the 256 MB Radeon card uses up the 1 GB total address space. While there may be ways around it, you best bet is to use a 128 MB Radeon card or card setting (some have jumpers). Keep in mind that in OS 3.9, 1 MB of video ram is used by the Mediator to fake DMA, while likely no more than 16 MB is actually used by the video card for displaying graphics. In an OS 4.1 situation, I don't know of anything that requires more graphics memory than that. Now as Randy Newman says in the "Monk" opening, "I could be wrong now."

P.S., make sure the CONFIG jumper is closed, this matters on the A4000,s.
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

tlosmx wrote: I hope the hyperion will made me use my Zoram is executable and not swap ... not important if it is slow but the important it is executable ... on my system i have only 60 mb of executable memory and the 80% of the software dont run or crash.
Hi...please trust me, we did try adding the ZorRAM to the available RAM and the system was too slow. Too slow to be usable really at all. It was very painfully slow. I can't say it any further but ZorRAM as ram - it just isn't possible.

I wish as much as you for that - and we tried it - but it was really, really, too slow. Swap for the ZorRAM is the only practical option.

Also it is my experience that 256MB of video ram is not needed by AmigaOS 4.1 Classic. 128MB is more than enough. It just takes up valuable address space so if you have a 128MB card you will be fine.

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

While the extra 128 MB of Radeon ram DOES take up very valuable address space that could be used for other cards, some folks setup a dual boot (3.9 & 4.1) system were they see the Mediators PCI.library adding ram to the free ram list; they then get all 'warm and fuzzy" about this (though I have yet to ever need this much myself). Another example is getting a 128 MB ZorRam card when the cards firmware grabs a full 256 MB of address space.