Using SSD in uA1 is it OK to use SWAP?

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
fitzsteve

Re: Using SSD in uA1 is it OK to use SWAP?

Post by fitzsteve »

Looks like I've found the issue, one of the pins on the SSD is shorter than the others, so its not always making a good contact it seems. After reconnecting the HDD cable the new partitions have come back, if I keep gettng issues I'll return the SSD for a replacement.

I've just booted from the SSD after copying my System partition over and it seems much faster than the 5400rpm HDD even without a SWAP :ugeek:

Will let you know how I get on once I've transferred all my data.

Steve,
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

fitzsteve wrote:
I was thinking of doing away with the SWAP if its not advised on SSD and perhaps upgrading to 1gb Ram, would performance with the extra Ram be equal or better than my current 512mb setup with 1gb SWAP?

Any advice appreciated :geek:

Cheers!

Steve.
I don't know of anyone who has got 1 GB of memory to work in the micro, been using one for 6 plus years now. I have a 512MB module that has been working for me for years now & that's seems to be max for the micro. You can try, I don't think a 1GB module is all that expensive, but if you get odd crashes all of a sudden, you'll know why.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
Stephen Robinson
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Stephen Robinson »

I've never seen 1gb sodimm 133 memory stick/module for sale.

Shame, as I would have been interested, well back in the day anyway.
Near at hand is your forgetting all; near, too, all forgetting you.
netrot

Post by netrot »

1gig.jpeg
1gig.jpeg (59.53 KiB) Viewed 9548 times
Here you can see One :)
Stephen Robinson
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Stephen Robinson »

Meh.

Bu then that's not a µA1...

.. either
:?

Wonder if you can still buy 1 gb 133 sodimms, probably not..
Near at hand is your forgetting all; near, too, all forgetting you.
Deniil

Post by Deniil »

ChrisH wrote:My Sam440 only has 0.5GB of RAM, and I *never* run out of memory, except when compiling fairly large programs. Something like Blender might use a lot of memory for large models. Otherwise the only situation I can think of SWAP being required is if you have a memory leak, and don't reboot!
I have 0.5GB RAM and I run out of memory every other day.
Just look at a few youtube videos, surf more than just a bit (especially images on facebook or google) without restarting the browser and I can assure you it will run out. Especially if you also use 1920x1080x32 resolution and have 2-3 screens open.