SAM440 freezes using both ethernet ports

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
turbo4.1

SAM440 freezes using both ethernet ports

Post by turbo4.1 »

hello,
my sam440flex always freezes completly when i try to use both ethernet ports. (one for internet and the other for local lan). i must use the reset switch to start new.
i can use port 0 for local lan or port 1 for internet connection without any problem, but not together in one configuration. :(
it seems that he freezes, when the connection is active.

amigaos 4.1 update 2 an sam440ep flex with one gigabyte ram.

have somebody a hint for me? :)
Amiga user since 1987
Sam440Flex 666Mhz, Radeon 9250, 1GB RAM
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: SAM440 freezes using both ethernet ports

Post by Rigo »

I'm not sure if the ethernet driver supports using two units together. I'm not even sure if RoadShow could handle the two streams as you suggest.

It's not something that has been tried before AFAIK, and the Sam440 was the first ever OS4 capable machine with two ethernet ports :)

Simon
turbo4.1

Post by turbo4.1 »

@Rigo
thank you for answer! :D
i now use two configuration files and only one is in Devs: the other in the Storage. if i need the other i reboot. that is no problem for me.
but i think it was a "nice to have feature" to use both at the same time.
perhaps it was possible to avoid the system-freeze with such a configuration with some changes on device-driver or roadshow?

achim
Amiga user since 1987
Sam440Flex 666Mhz, Radeon 9250, 1GB RAM
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

turbo4.1 wrote:my sam440flex always freezes completly when i try to use both ethernet ports.
The driver only supports one ethernet port at a time.
ExecSG Team Lead
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

If You really need need two connections at the same time it is possible to add a PCI ethernet card. I had a gigabit card in My Sam-Flex for some time.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

ssolie wrote:The driver only supports one ethernet port at a time.
I was never able to configure both ethernet ports in Roadshow, such that it would work with whatever Ethernet port you plugged the cable in. Whenever I tried to configure both ports, neither port worked. Is your answer an explanation to this problem?

P.S. I really wish OS4 would come with a default networking config that assumes DHCP works, as then OS4 networking would be "plug & go" for most users, rather than "stare in horror at networking jargon in RoadShow prefs & then give-up ever trying to connect OS4 to the internet" :-(
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

ChrisH wrote:P.S. I really wish OS4 would come with a default networking config that assumes DHCP works, as then OS4 networking would be "plug & go" for most users, rather than "stare in horror at networking jargon in RoadShow prefs & then give-up ever trying to connect OS4 to the internet" :-(
If you connect to a LAN which is set up fairly "normally" and with DHCP working, you can configure the network with a few clicks and no worries at all. Just click on the appropriate option on the post-install screen, or on a finished installation, "New Connection" in the SYS:Internet drawer. This starts the "wizard" (aka Dialer), which has taken much (well-earned) flak for being complicated and un-intuitive, but this pertains to its usage for setting up modem or PPP connections. For a straight Ethernet LAN (the bottom radio button on the first page), it really couldn't be simpler, you just select all the default and/or automatic options, and in a matter of moments, your network is set up. Plug, clickety-click, and go ;-).

I have done this on all my beta test machines (2 Sams - 440ep and 460ex, 2 A1s - G3 and G4, and a PPC A1200 with an NE2000 PCMCIA NIC) a number of times. The only caveat has been that on the A1200, I need to copy the third-party driver (cnet.device) into SYS:Devs/Networks before I run Dialer, as otherwise it cannot automatically find it.

Best regards,

Niels
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

nbache wrote:you can configure the network with a few clicks and no worries at all
I don't recall what options (if any) Update 1's fancy new first-time installer offered for networking, but IMHO it should not require ANY clicks (or no more than 1 click, on an "OK" button to accept the default). Really, most people have no clue about networking, and these days the internet is the number one 'application', so it should work just like Windows/Linux/MacOSX/any-other-OS-you-mention where it defaults to DHCP out of the box. Just my opinion of course, but I'd hate to see OS4 loose new users over such an easily fixed thing.

By all means give the user the choice to configure stuff, but networking/AHI/etc should have default configs that "just work" in the common case. AHI sound being muted out-of-the-box is another pet hate of mine, and makes no sense to me (no other OS does this either).
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

ChrisH wrote:By all means give the user the choice to configure stuff, but networking/AHI/etc should have default configs that "just work" in the common case. AHI sound being muted out-of-the-box is another pet hate of mine, and makes no sense to me (no other OS does this either).
That would of course be nice. But don't forget that those "other OSs" can afford to make sure drivers will always be available for whatever hardware they may find themselves having to use. If e.g. I had installed OS 4.1 on my A1200, and it had had a default network setup included, my machine would most likely fail to boot after installation because cnet.device wasn't found in DEVS:Networks.

Similar issues can come up with sound cards. And worse: The sound may be set to a level which actually destroys the users speakers and/or ears.

So to be on the safe side in our world of weird and wonderful hardware, I believe the current cautious choices are wiser.

Best regards,

Niels
Stephen Robinson
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Stephen Robinson »

Rigo wrote:I'm not sure if the ethernet driver supports using two units together. I'm not even sure if RoadShow could handle the two streams as you suggest.

It's not something that has been tried before AFAIK, and the Sam440 was the first ever OS4 capable machine with two ethernet ports :)

Simon
Peg 2 has 2 ports, 1 was Gigabit LAN, the other 100Mb, I don't think the gigabit one ever got OS4 drivers did it?
Near at hand is your forgetting all; near, too, all forgetting you.