Some notes on 4.1FE

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
develin

Some notes on 4.1FE

Post by develin »

Hi, after the incredible news that WinUAE was going to support OS4 I just had to get myself a copy and I think it's a really nice update to the old 3.x
Having some issues I like to share and just double check if these are possible bugs or somthing I overlooked.

First thing I noticed where that there is no information about what the users shall do to register their copy of the OS.
For an oldtimer like myself I got the idea, but for new users this could be a lot more clear so they wouldn't miss updates in AmiUpdate.

Then I noticed that some applications, like UnArc looks for the assign TBIMAGES: which wasn't assigned but I had to add it myself.

Translations in the new context menu isn't followed in realtime when changeing language in locale, but then I got the aswer that this
translation isn't done in the normal locale way, but maybe this can be fixed aswell ?
And there are some missed strings in the Swedish translation that might be good to know about, some in the new context menu
and I also found that there was one in the new shell menu.

Oh yeah, one last "first observation", sorry for sounding like a nagging lady here =)..
Under the docs I read that the source code for filesysbox.library where going to be downloadable from the download section here at hyperion, but I cannot see that archive ?

That would be all from my first hour of running 4.1FE from my side, hope I didn't sound to negative but I like the system and I think these are small things that
should be easy to fix for future users in mind.
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Some notes on 4.1FE

Post by MichaelMerkel »

develin wrote:Then I noticed that some applications, like UnArc looks for the assign TBIMAGES: which wasn't assigned but I had to add it myself.
the tbimages assign is placed in user-startup after installation of FE:
assign tbimages: SYS:Prefs/Presets/tbimages

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
develin

Post by develin »

MichaelMerkel wrote: the tbimages assign is placed in user-startup after installation of FE:
Actually it wasn't in my user-startup since I got the error =)
But I did add it myself ofcourse...
jaokim
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by jaokim »

develin wrote:And there are some missed strings in the Swedish translation that might be good to know about, some in the new context menu and I also found that there was one in the new shell menu.
Thanks for your report, I'll file a bug for the translations and look into it.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

develin wrote:
MichaelMerkel wrote:the tbimages assign is placed in user-startup after installation of FE:
Did you by any chance copy your old User-Startup back over the one installed with FE? Or was there any sort of error at any point during installation or subsequent booting? I'm looking at the Classic FE disc right now, and it does have that line in User-Startup, both the User-Startup initially installed and the one replacing it when you have run the post-install actions. And the tbimages directory also exists in Prefs/Presets in the System directory, so should be created on HD as well.

So - weird ...

I'll be installing it on my A1k2 one of these days, then we'll see if anything fishy happens.

Best regards,

Niels
develin

Post by develin »

nbache wrote:
develin wrote:
MichaelMerkel wrote:the tbimages assign is placed in user-startup after installation of FE:
Did you by any chance copy your old User-Startup back over the one installed with FE? Or was there any sort of error at any point during installation or subsequent booting? I'm looking at the Classic FE disc right now, and it does have that line in User-Startup, both the User-Startup initially installed and the one replacing it when you have run the post-install actions. And the tbimages directory also exists in Prefs/Presets in the System directory, so should be created on HD as well.

So - weird ...

I'll be installing it on my A1k2 one of these days, then we'll see if anything fishy happens.
Yes, the tbimages directory is still on the HD, just the assign that is missing.
I didn't touch user-startup at all until I needed to add this assign.
All I've done it to install some extra stuff from the CD, maybe some of that was borking the user-startup script ?

I pretty much install everything except YAM and SimpleMail from the extras, incase some of the betatesters would like to verify this.
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

develin wrote: Under the docs I read that the source code for filesysbox.library where going to be downloadable from the download section here at hyperion, but I cannot see that archive ?
I've put up the source codes for the AmigaOS 4.1 FE versions of filesysbox and ntfs3g here:
filesysbox-53.38-src.7z
ntfs-3g-53.32-src.7z

The hyperion-entertainment.biz downloads section seems to have only the previously released versions still.
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

develin wrote:
MichaelMerkel wrote: the tbimages assign is placed in user-startup after installation of FE:
hmmm...
i checked the classic install iso and the user-startup there contains the assign?!
did you do a clean install? or manually edited user-startup afterwards and maybe accidently removed the line?

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
develin

Post by develin »

salass00 wrote:
develin wrote: Under the docs I read that the source code for filesysbox.library where going to be downloadable from the download section here at hyperion, but I cannot see that archive ?
I've put up the source codes for the AmigaOS 4.1 FE versions of filesysbox and ntfs3g here:
filesysbox-53.38-src.7z
ntfs-3g-53.32-src.7z

The hyperion-entertainment.biz downloads section seems to have only the previously released versions still.
Thanks!

I can't see any evidence of any old as new archive on the download section here ?
Do I need some special access to such area ?
develin

Post by develin »

MichaelMerkel wrote:
develin wrote:
hmmm...
i checked the classic install iso and the user-startup there contains the assign?!
did you do a clean install? or manually edited user-startup afterwards and maybe accidently removed the line?
I did a clean install from scratch, then I installed the extras installations using the GUI and selected everything except YAM and SimpleMail.
Never touched the user-startup until I realized that the tbimages:-assing was missing.