Entering BootMenu fails (BVisionPPC 4.1FE)

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
MMikhail
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Entering BootMenu fails (BVisionPPC 4.1FE)

Post by MMikhail »

Since installing 4.1FE by hand I can't solve the problem of how to get to the early boot menu (two mouse buttons)
or to the boot without startup screen (mid mouse button)

Both of above operations lead to a guru (flashing power led) and black screen, but if I don't do anything OS4 boots fine into full colour RTG display.

Also it looks like the BootVGA or whatever default 640x480 mode is missing from the list of available modes, this in turn gives another problem.
If there is anything happening on screen before the WB loads, output is done on AGA and not on the RTG side, very inconvenient.

In previous versions (before the newer gfx lib design implementation) everything worked fine.

Please advise.
A1260T/BPPC/BVPPC/128MB/CNET/SCSI/HDD/CDRW/DVD/HPLJ4P/HPSJ6 (AMiGA)
Lio

Re: Entering BootMenu fails (BVisionPPC 4.1FE)

Post by Lio »

did it work before, under AOS4.1 update6 ?
what kind of mouse are you using ?

it would help if you would give the details of your config !
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

An alternative which is often easier to get to work is holding down the Help key (scroll lock on PC keyboards). But again, this has to be timed correctly. The time to press down the key is normally just when the boot logo screen starts showing.

Trial and error usually gets it in the end.

Best regards,

Niels
MMikhail
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MMikhail »

Nothing special.
A1260T with 128MB BlizzardPPC + BVisionPPC + SCSI (missing all hardware under OS4) + CNET + 2 IDE HDDS (4GB) directly on A1200 ide port
Keyboard and mouse should not have any effect on the config since they work in genuine original protocols.

PS: It worked in 4.1.2 almost flawlessly
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

By "Keyboard and mouse should not have any effect on the config since they work in genuine original protocols," do you mean in OS4.1.2 or something else?

Are you using an Amiga mouse and Keyboard?

Have you retested your setup with an original OS4.1.2 install (I keep one on hand and just change the boot priority)? Then you could add back the updates one at a time to see what causes issues (there were some in update 5) with the kernel). You can hand update the system avoiding the problem piece, but it is often a hardware issue.
RussellB

Post by RussellB »

I can confirm I have the same problem with 4.1FE that I can not see the Early Startup Menu through the BVision. It does stop as though as it has recognised holding both mouse buttons down, it is possible that the Early Startup Menu is only being displayed through the RGB port but I don't have anything connected to it at the moment.

It did used to work under 4.0 on my 1200 where you would get a double display of the Early Startup Menu, one through the BVision and one through the RGB port.
MMikhail
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MMikhail »

Original keys and mouse.
And as I said, it looks like the video driver crashes for (BootVGA) screen, since the power led flashes and everything dies.
Doing some tossing around with modules makes the new kernel work but only on AGA (for BootMenu and no startup screen)
RussellB

Post by RussellB »

I have tested some more and the Early Startup Menu is definitely working but it is only being displayed through the onboard RGB/RF ports and not the BVision at all.
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

RussellB wrote:I have tested some more and the Early Startup Menu is definitely working but it is only being displayed through the onboard RGB/RF ports and not the BVision at all.
Ahem....guys, please read the FAQ on the ISO....from page 2 of the Classic FAQ:

The AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Boot Menu (Early Startup)

AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition has an Early Startup Boot Menu that is loaded after kickstart loads. After you see the Boot splash screen press and hold both mouse buttons to access it. This special Boot Menu is currently only displayed on Native ECS or AGA output. It will not display on your Zorro or PCI Graphics card.

You must have a 31Khz or 15Khz monitor attached to the RGB port of your Amiga 1200/4000 or VGA port of your Amiga 3000 to see it. In the Kicklayout file in sys:kickstart for your model of Amiga there is a “BootVGA.kmod” option near the bottom. If this is enabled (and it is by default) the output will be sent at 31Khz. Comment it out to get 15Khz output.

This behavior is different from AmigaOS 4.1 Classic which displayed the AmigaOS 4.1 Boot Menu on RTG. Note that this may change in a future update.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
MMikhail
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MMikhail »

Who's bright idea was it?!

I guess this kind of setup is unique to a point of one at most, and that's the only setup of who has done it.

Ideal config in that case: OS4 running on A1200 with VGA monitor running on AGA chipset and a video card available and not used for some reason.
and probably 2 VGA monitors or twin input VGA monitor or a monitor switch and no PAL capable monitor.

This does not make sense.

1. If you have a video card, you would expect everything on that output, and it was done like so (correctly) previously.
2. if you have a video card, you might have a flicker fixer too, and that will output normal PAL in DLSscan mode, and will not show VGA type modes.
3. most amiga owners would probably have a PAL monitor connected for AGA output anyway when they really need it, not a VGA monitor (default rom confing)
4. if the OS4 is finally configured to run from RTG, why do we get a PAL screen for error messages/requesters during boot?! So that we keep on playing switching monitors game to see what has gone wrong where?!
5. most modern software requires an RTG card anyway, so why force AGA output? It's only required as a legacy fall back mode for old software when there is no other option.

Now even if we stay on AGA, a simple SPACE key (in BootMenu) could have change between PAL / VGA modes, this was done before,
and worked for everyone without needing to change some config file just for a quick change (config is good for permanent/preferred setting)

PS: Disabling some items from the kickstart I can now get in to boot menu on AGA output (not very friendly solution, but still, it works) but doing boot with no startup or booting with mid mouse button still fails, I can see black screen only.
And yes, I always see a logo on the video card output, what's the point of showing me a logo there if the card is not used?! The drivers are clearly loaded for it, so why not use it?
Maybe it would have been even better to clone the output to both displays AGA & RTG (it is done like so on the classic 68k system) Thus satisfying everyone at once.

Please give us an option to configure this behaviour, the current situation is absolutely unsatisfactory and inconvenient. And it's a disappointing downgrade from the previous implementation.