Updates when?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
xenic

Updates when?

Post by xenic »

OS4.1FE has been released for 3 months. When are we going to start getting some updates through AmiUpdate that fix some of the bugs reported??
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Updates when?

Post by sundown »

I believe someone is working on an update, don't ask...

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

sundown wrote:I believe someone is working on an update, don't ask...

Ken
Looking forward to it :) I expect the update to be BIG, since we are talking about numbers of bugs to be fixed. Since 3 months have passed, testers and developers should have had plenty of time to investigate the many different bugs and issues of AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition, that was released in a bit of a rush.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
xenic

Post by xenic »

HKvalhe wrote: Looking forward to it :) I expect the update to be BIG, since we are talking about numbers of bugs to be fixed. Since 3 months have passed, testers and developers should have had plenty of time to investigate the many different bugs and issues of AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition, that was released in a bit of a rush.
One would think that most adults would have gotten over the "Santa Claus" thrill and that the criteria for software releases would be "when it's ready" instead of "at Christmas time". I doubt if all Amiga users are Christians and care that software is released in time for Christmas.

Today I noticed something strange about AmiUpdate. I have replaced some buggy software components like ASyncWB with earlier versions and get offered newer versions by AmiUpdate. I usually ignore those offers if the offered version is the same as the version I've replaced with an older one. However, this morning I noticed that AmiUpdate is offering me ASyncWB 53.14 instead of the current version (53.15). It seems like it should be offering the current version.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Today I noticed something strange about AmiUpdate. I have replaced some buggy software components like ASyncWB with earlier versions and get offered newer versions by AmiUpdate. I usually ignore those offers if the offered version is the same as the version I've replaced with an older one. However, this morning I noticed that AmiUpdate is offering me ASyncWB 53.14 instead of the current version (53.15). It seems like it should be offering the current version.
Nothing strange here, AmiUpdate offers *updates* 53.14 is most likely the last update to the update 6 version, (haven't checked versions) no *udpate* has been offered to the FE version as yet, do you expect all the FE versions to freely downloadable from amiupdate? Then there would be no need to buy it!
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Rigo »

Well, while nothing to do with me, I know that changes are happening within the infrastructure to ensure that only FE customers get to see any updates (unless they are critical updates applicable to older versions). As FE was the last in the 4.1 line, and it was offered at a seriously reduced rate, all other prior OS versions are now deemed "end-of-line", and as such only 4.1 "FE" versions will be seeing bug fixes. Obviously updates will still be offered to prior OS versions if they are deemed serious enough, but the internal changes are happening now.

So those of you wondering why you are not seeing any updates, and are not running "Final Edition", may well be subject to the "end of line" scenario for your OS version.

Bear in mind that the development team is unable to upkeep multiple versions of the OS, and test all possible scenarios. That's why "FE" really is one of the reasons why it is the final edition.

Simon

Disclaimer. The opinions given here are not representative of any official company or body, and are purely the impressions and opinions of the author at the time of writing. No guarantee is applied or expressed as to the validity of any information contained herein.
xenic

Post by xenic »

broadblues wrote:Nothing strange here, AmiUpdate offers *updates* 53.14 is most likely the last update to the update 6 version, (haven't checked versions) no *udpate* has been offered to the FE version as yet, do you expect all the FE versions to freely downloadable from amiupdate? Then there would be no need to buy it!
Good point. I guess I didn't really think that through before posting my comment. However, Rigo's statement that "changes are happening within the infrastructure" would also seem to indicate that somebody didn't think through the OS4.1FE update process prior to release.
xenic

Post by xenic »

Rigo wrote:Well, while nothing to do with me, I know that changes are happening within the infrastructure to ensure that only FE customers get to see any updates (unless they are critical updates applicable to older versions). As FE was the last in the 4.1 line, and it was offered at a seriously reduced rate, all other prior OS versions are now deemed "end-of-line", and as such only 4.1 "FE" versions will be seeing bug fixes. Obviously updates will still be offered to prior OS versions if they are deemed serious enough, but the internal changes are happening now.
Maybe it would be less confusing for users if there were a seperate URL for FE updates.
So those of you wondering why you are not seeing any updates, and are not running "Final Edition", may well be subject to the "end of line" scenario for your OS version.
I think that most of the FE update questions are coming from those of us running "Final Edition". The "Update Software..." Workbench menu is a daily reminder of the lack of updates. I suspect that most of those still running OS4.1u6 may be waiting to see most of the reported problems fixed before they purchase and install OS4.1FE.
trixie

Post by trixie »

@Rigo
Rigo wrote:So those of you wondering why you are not seeing any updates, and are not running "Final Edition", may well be subject to the "end of line" scenario for your OS version.
Just realized that I'm still on Update 6 so I went and bought a copy of the Final Edition, thanks for the reminder :-)
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

I'm on FE and I got one update!!! Something about XAD, can't remember, it installed so quickly, I could barely read it!