Internet prefs

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Internet prefs

Post by tonyw »

xenic wrote:...copying files to a directory link on a locked SFS partition will result in a "Volume System is write-protected" requester and the copy will not succeed.
Just tested it and you are right. Can't offer a work-around, though.
cheers
tony
colinw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by colinw »

xenic wrote:
colinw wrote: MakeLink SOFT link=envarc:appdir dir=temp:appdir
I think that will only work if you are booting from an FFS partition. If you are booting from an SFS partition,
copying files to a directory link on a locked SFS partition will result in a "Volume System is write-protected"
requester and the copy will not succeed.
Hmmm, well you are quite correct, SFS does break it, so that would be another bug to add to the list for SFS.
It would seem SFS is just checking to see if the volume is write protected and just saying "go away".
As reading the target path for a softlink doesn't involve any writing, and the target is also on a completely different
volume that is not write protected, so, it seems like an obscure SFS bug with ACTION_READ_SOFT_LINK,
but I can't really blame anybody for missing this one. At least FFS works correctly in this regard.

Looks like the first option I mentioned, (moving the entire ENVARC to its own volume), is your best alternative
if you want to keep using SFS as your boot volume. There should be other alternatives available soon.
xenic

Post by xenic »

@Colin
Hmmm, well you are quite correct, SFS does break it, so that would be another bug to add to the list for SFS.
I noticed the problem before these forums existed and I think I reported it in the Yahoo groups OS4 ML and forgot about it. I think the problem exists in SFS and SFS2. Since it appears that most OS4 users have SFS or SFS2 boot partitions it would be good if you add the bug to the appropriate list and the problem gets resolved.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE