Bug in Multiview Search requester

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Steady

Bug in Multiview Search requester

Post by Steady »

AmigaOS 4.1 FE on SAM 460CR
==========================

Multiview: 53.8
datatypes.library: 53.4
text.datatype: 53.8
=================

I think there is a bug (unterminated string) in the "Find ... " command where it adds trailing garbage characters to subsequent searches (i.e. find, then find again). I encountered the bug when searching the autodocs so I was using the text datatype. The bug may not be restricted to that situation but I almost always see it when doing that.

Replication Steps
===============
1) Open a text file with MultiView.
2) Press <RAmiga>-F to find.
3) Enter text to search for.
4) Press <Return> to execute search.
5) Press <RAmiga>-F to find again.
6) You will probably see the garbage at the tail end of the text. If you don't see the garbage, just repeat step 4 & 5 again until you do.

Cheers,
Jason.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Bug in Multiview Search requester

Post by broadblues »

Reproduced this just once after a great deal of repeating.

The requester comes from text.datatype, not multiview itself so I'll check for and raise a bug report against text.datatype
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

reported as bug 9302
Steady

Post by Steady »

broadblues wrote:reported as bug 9302
Thanks. I knew it was one of those things that show up at random, but I got it more often than not. Thanks for confirming and raising.
xenic

Post by xenic »

Steady wrote:
Thanks. I knew it was one of those things that show up at random, but I got it more often than not. Thanks for confirming and raising.
Since you would normally use <RAmiga>-N (find next) after the first search, most people would never see this bug. It's always a good idea to fix things that aren't working right though.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
chris

Post by chris »

xenic wrote:
Steady wrote:
Since you would normally use <RAmiga>-N (find next) after the first search, most people would never see this bug. It's always a good idea to fix things that aren't working right though.
I always hit enter twice to do a find next in Multiview. Never realised there was a shortcut for it! Consequently I've seen this bug for years but managed to never report it.
trixie

Post by trixie »

Since you would normally use <RAmiga>-N (find next) after the first search
Funny that RAmiga-N has been a reserved shortcut for "New" since forever :-)
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Steady

Post by Steady »

Actually, I just saw a similar problem in an ASL requester (well, I assume it was ASL) last night and forgot where it was. It might be a problem in some very common code. When I remember/repeat it I will post where it was.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

@Steady

Yes this has been marked as a duplicate of another more general bug, previously thought fixed that seems to have reooccurred (possibly with different cause) in FE.
xenic

Post by xenic »

trixie wrote:
Since you would normally use <RAmiga>-N (find next) after the first search
Funny that RAmiga-N has been a reserved shortcut for "New" since forever :-)
Unless one could afford to buy the Amiga ROM Kernal Manuals, most programmers probably never saw the "Style Guide" and just used keyboard shortcuts that made sense to them. Apparently, the devs have done the same. For example:
RAmiga-N is used in the Workbench/Window menu for "New drawer" instead of Style Guide "Project/New".
RAmiga-P is used in the Workbench/Icon menu for "Put away" instead of Style Guide "Project/Print".
RAmiga-S is used in the Workbench/Icon menu for "Snapshot" instead of Style Guide "Project/Save As...".
RAmiga-S is used in the GUI prefs Settings menu for "Use Seperate Screen" instead of Style Guide "Project/Save As...".
RAmiga-A is used in console/shell Project menu for "Save history" instead of Style Guide "Project/Save As...".

I could probably spend at least a week listing inconsistancies between the Style Guide and the OS. The bottom line is that "Do as I say not as I do" doesn't work and changing Multiview or any OS menu shortcut will just cause confusion at this point.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE