Replacements for Deprecated functions.

Have a question about our Software Developer Kit? Ask them here.
AmiDARK

Replacements for Deprecated functions.

Post by AmiDARK »

Hello.

Is there a place where we can see all the "replacement methods" for the "deprecated functions" from SDK 53.20 to 53.30 ?

Thank you.
Sam440EP - AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Replacements for Deprecated functions.

Post by tonyw »

If you look up the autodoc for the library with the deprecated function, it should tell you the recommended replacement. Most deprecated functions in DOS are just renamed.
cheers
tony
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

AmiDARK wrote:Is there a place where we can see all the "replacement methods" for the "deprecated functions" from SDK 53.20 to 53.30 ?
No there is not but we are working on improving the AmigaOS Documentation Wiki where this kind of information should go IMHO.

If you could be more specific on which functions you are concerned about we can focus on those areas first. Otherwise it is just too big a job.
ExecSG Team Lead
eliyahu
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by eliyahu »

ssolie wrote:
AmiDARK wrote:Is there a place where we can see all the "replacement methods" for the "deprecated functions" from SDK 53.20 to 53.30 ?
No there is not but we are working on improving the AmigaOS Documentation Wiki where this kind of information should go IMHO.

If you could be more specific on which functions you are concerned about we can focus on those areas first. Otherwise it is just too big a job.
i've taken a first pass at this. please see http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Deprecated_Functions and let me know if it's what you're needing.

-- eliyahu
xenic

Post by xenic »

eliyahu wrote:i've taken a first pass at this. please see http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Deprecated_Functions and let me know if it's what you're needing.
I think the preferred replacements for some of the deprecated "libamiga.a" functions are actually tags like ASOT_IOREQUEST, ASOT_MESSAGE & ASOT_PORT used with AllocSysObject() in exec.library.

You might also want to mention in "DOS library" that most DOS structures should now be Allocated with AllocDosObject.
Last edited by xenic on Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
colinw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by colinw »

eliyahu wrote: i've taken a first pass at this. please see http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Deprecated_Functions and let me know
if it's what you're needing.
-- eliyahu
As far as DOS goes, there's a bunch more deprecated functions than are mentioned in the article.
If you load the include_h/interfaces/dos.h file into notepad and search for "DEPRECATED",
you will find many more...

Most deprecated ones are due to 32 bit filesize parameter limitations, some old functions are simply broken,
and some functions may just be renamed for consistency.

It might be nice to make a minor mention in the article, the reason why a change has been made.
The autodoc will generally provide far more detail.