Even better support in emulated environments

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
thomasrapp

Re: Even better support in emulated environments

Post by thomasrapp »

You need WinUAE 3.4 (currently in beta stage). Then you can add several RAM boards and select a Manufacturer and Product ID for each.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

ok, so my guess was wrong. thanks for pointing it out!

So I need to upgrade from 3.3 to the latest and greatest - then "add one board with like 512MB" or something like that?
May you have a screenshot, how to do it?

(can not test it right now, but I am curious about it)

cheers!
Last edited by Elowan on Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

I really wish, there would be some hardware for OS4.1, that willl be sized like a Pi and cost about that much.

OS4.1 feels so good to use, no distractions like on most modern desktop UI, you can poke around and see, what´s what.
A pitty, it just runs on such small number of hardware-choices!

Hyperion should really think of "thinking different" ;)
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

Elowan wrote:So I need to upgrade from 3.3 to the latest and greatest
WinUAE consists just of one .exe file. You can up/down/sidegrade forth and back simply by exchanging the winuae.exe or winuae64.exe file. Or run renamed winuaexxx.exe files with different versions from the same directory.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Elowan wrote:OS4.1 feels so good to use, no distractions like on most modern desktop UI, you can poke around and see, what´s what.
A pitty, it just runs on such small number of hardware-choices!

Hyperion should really think of "thinking different" ;)
Hyperion is not a hardware company, any more than Microsoft is. They/we can only port the OS to devices for which they/we have hardware documentation.

Our core developers spend a lot of their time porting the system to new hardware, more than the time spent on upgrading the system. A necessary priority is to support the hardware designers and manufacturers that keep our platform going. That is one reason why we don't try to port it to (for instance) an X86 platform. Another is that such a platform would only exist for a couple of years, then we would have to start again.
cheers
tony
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

thomasrapp wrote: WinUAE consists just of one .exe file. You can up/down/sidegrade forth and back simply by exchanging the winuae.exe or winuae64.exe file. Or run renamed winuaexxx.exe files with different versions from the same directory.
yes, I know that ;) with "upgrading" I meant "loading the new version"
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

edit: double post
Last edited by Elowan on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

Elowan wrote:
tonyw wrote: Hyperion is not a hardware company, any more than Microsoft is. They/we can only port the OS to devices for which they/we have hardware documentation.

Our core developers spend a lot of their time porting the system to new hardware, more than the time spent on upgrading the system. A necessary priority is to support the hardware designers and manufacturers that keep our platform going. That is one reason why we don't try to port it to (for instance) an X86 platform. Another is that such a platform would only exist for a couple of years, then we would have to start again.
So getting a hardware documentation for ARM or x86 is that hard? Did you have to pay for licensing?
(Even a free linux runs on x86, x64, PPC, ARM - so there must be ways to get this documentation, right?
To what new hardware the core-devs are porting, instead?
Why would a platform (let´s take x86 of your example) only exist for a couple of years?
I mean, it´s around like.. what... 30 years now? Meanwhile PPC is gone from the mass markets/desktop PCs and ARM
is what you use in embedded or tablet/small laptop-systems.

Sorry, but I can not follow your thinking / do not really understand, what you are writing.
(no offence, I guess it´s just me, not having enough information on that) ;)

Best Regards
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

When tony says "platform" he means a specific board with specific processor and set of on board PCI/PCIE etc extensions. Drivers for all of which would be needed.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

What's more, every board, PPC, X86, ARM, or any other, has its own little quirks and bugs. Unless you know what they are, you really can't get very far with porting an OS to it. Linux is not a good example because in many cases the board manufacturer has provided the Linux port.

In the case of X86 boards, the board manufacturer supplies the BIOS and usually a CD with patches to make Windows run properly. We don't have that sort of support for any other OS.

We have enough problems with the error-ridden documentation that we have from Freescale. Let's not go through this discussion all over again, it only wastes more time.
cheers
tony