AmiUpdate problem

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
daveyw

AmiUpdate problem

Post by daveyw »

I just updated to the latest version of AmiUpdate 2.41, but pretty quickly had to roll back to 2.39. When I select Preferences, the GUI starts to flash and CPU useage goes through the roof.
ddni

Re: AmiUpdate problem

Post by ddni »

I have this issue too. It crashes the Amiga requiring a soft reset.

Also, if I have a file requestor window open with RAM: set as the visible directory, the text in the requestor flickers horribly when Amiupdate is scanning.
xenic

Post by xenic »

daveyw wrote:I just updated to the latest version of AmiUpdate 2.41, but pretty quickly had to roll back to 2.39. When I select Preferences, the GUI starts to flash and CPU useage goes through the roof.
I tried opening the Preferences from the icon and then opened AmiUpdate, I got the same flashing in the Prefs window. When I tried changing something in the Prefs window, my system froze and I had to use the reset button to reboot the system.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

@thread

I posted this as bug 136 on the amiupdate bugtracker.

@ddni

If you have a file requester open while the contents of the directory you are accessing are being modified then of course it will flicker...
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Note this only happens when both windows are open at the same time, so the work arround is obvious.....
ddni

Post by ddni »

@BroadBlues

I tried to reproduce the flickering whilst writing to a different directory - copy a 100mb .lha archive to a directory that was being viewed throuh a file requestor. No flickering.
The flickering only occurs when AU writes to RAM:
Copying another file to RAM: doesn't even cause flicker.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

ddni wrote:@BroadBlues

I tried to reproduce the flickering whilst writing to a different directory - copy a 100mb .lha archive to a directory that was being viewed throuh a file requestor. No flickering.
The flickering only occurs when AU writes to RAM:
Copying another file to RAM: doesn't even cause flicker.
When creating tests think a little more about what is going on.

The ASL requester updates when it recieves a notification that the directory has chnaged, this typicallly occurs when a file is closed, a copy is complete etc. so if you copy a single large file to the directory it *will* flicker, exactly onceat the end of the copy.

In the case of amiupdate you probably have your log file in ram: this log gets updated once per action, as with most log files it's appended to continuously rather than opened once wriiten and closed, as other wise you wouldn't be able to read it whilst logging.

For an trial experiment try this in a shell whilst you havwe your ASL file requester open displaying ram:

rx "do forever;address command 'echo foo >>ram:bar';end"

CTR-C should stop it
ddni

Post by ddni »

@Broadblues.

Thanks, I see what you mean. I tested your experiment and yes, the flickering is reproduced. Ctrl-C didn't stop the script though. It needed a reboot ;)