NGFileSystem

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: NGFileSystem

Post by tonyw »

U-Boot has no say in what sort of file systems are bootable. The program that scans all the disk partitions and makes up the list (the "AmigaOS 4.x U-Boot BootLoader" screen) is amigaboot.ub, which is written into the SD card on the mobo. When you type "boota", amigaboot runs and does its work, never returning to U-Boot. Amigaboot scans all the devices, lists the bootable volumes and loads all the Kickstart modules from the disk. It lastly jumps to the Loader, which is one of the Kickstart modules.. That is the start of OS4 running by itself.

Unfortunately U-Boot can only initialise (and provide access to) the on-board SATA controller. If your shiny new system partition is on an HD or SSD that is connected to a PCI card, you won't be able to boot from it (directly, anyway).
cheers
tony
Alloye

Post by Alloye »

tonyw wrote:U-Boot has no say in what sort of file systems are bootable. The program that scans all the disk partitions and makes up the list (the "AmigaOS 4.x U-Boot BootLoader" screen) is amigaboot.ub, which is written into the SD card on the mobo.
Thanks for the information. It really clears things up! Using FFS, I get an entry in that list, but with NGFS I don't.

Is there any way I can update amigaboot.ub? I've had my X5K for over a year, so I'm sure it's out-of-date.
Unfortunately U-Boot can only initialise (and provide access to) the on-board SATA controller. If your shiny new system partition is on an HD or SSD that is connected to a PCI card, you won't be able to boot from it (directly, anyway).
Also good to know, but I was using a drive connected directly to the motherboard in this case.
radzikpl

Post by radzikpl »

I think I have found big bug in NGFS. I have problems with SQL files in for example Odyssey. After fresh installation the cookies.db was somehow broken. First of all Odyssey was not able to save cookies. Second, program Cookie Monster was crashing itself. I have copied my old cookies.db (from Pegasos / SFS) and all is working. The same problems are with passwords.db etc. It looks like every SQL file is not correct. Meanwhile I was working with Odyssey based on NGFS, but yesterday the same error (after many days). Cookies.db broken.

I have also tested new RSS reader, it uses also SQL files. After install, configurations of RSS program works. But after close/start (2x - 3x times) database is broken. I can only copy old file. Program is working perfect with SFS.

Probobably the same problem is with Timberwolf, it's working only from SFS (maybe FFS too). First install and run on NGFS is ok, but after close/restart TW is crashed.

Any sugestions? I'm writing X5000 / OS4 book and I must put correct informations for my readers.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Thanks for that report, I have tested NGFS with Timberwolf on the X5000 and it crashes just as you say.

I am currently investigating the problem.
cheers
tony
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I have found and fixed the problem causing those data corruptions and crashes. Thanks again for reporting it.
cheers
tony
pgovotsos

Post by pgovotsos »

tonyw wrote:I have found and fixed the problem causing those data corruptions and crashes. Thanks again for reporting it.
How do we go about getting the fix? Is it something that will be pushed by Amiupdate or something else?
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

How do we go about getting the fix? Is it something that will be pushed by Amiupdate or something else?
Sadly, but probably only after year or two (i.e. when next update, will out). Sadly as well that AmiUpdate didn't used anymore to deliver OS fixes. I asked before for deliver some critical fix in some component which was noted by users right after reliasing of update1, but i was told by hyperion owners that nope. Maybe that component about which i ask wasn't necessary enough, while NGFS is. But go figure and explain to hyperion that users can't wait for years for fixes :)

Tony, maybe you can convince hyperion to deliver via amiupdate at least that NGFS fix ?
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Betatesting fixed or new components is fair and square, but history has shown that right after an update (which already took years to come out) the greater base of "normal" users discover bugs that wasn't covered by beta testers...so i'll opt for smaller and more frequent AmiUpdate updates again...

But thats just me and nobody listens to me anyway, so...
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
pgovotsos

Post by pgovotsos »

kas1e wrote:
Sadly, but probably only after year or two (i.e. when next update, will out). Sadly as well that AmiUpdate didn't used anymore to deliver OS fixes. I asked before for deliver some critical fix in some component which was noted by users right after reliasing of update1, but i was told by hyperion owners that nope. Maybe that component about which i ask wasn't necessary enough, while NGFS is. But go figure and explain to hyperion that users can't wait for years for fixes :)

Tony, maybe you can convince hyperion to deliver via amiupdate at least that NGFS fix ?
Well that really sucks. The file system is a fairly crucial part of the operating system. Problems there could some bad consequences especially for those of us who use it as a primary system. Guess I'll be getting rid of NGFS until it works reliably.

I just don't understand why anyone would release such an important component AND have it pre installed on X5000s. Of course I can't understand why A-eon would release very expensive computers like the X5000 and the X1000 before it without fully supported hardware. They've had the Cyrus boards for years. They've written SATA, sound and network drivers before. How hard can it be to update a driver? Even with just a couple of people on the team there's no excuse for this.

Sometimes it seems like Linux is supposed to be the primary operating system on these machines and not AmigaOS. All of the announcements seem to be about Linux. Funny, I thought these things were supposed to be Amiga computers.

Sorry, rant mode off.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

pgovotsos wrote: Sometimes it seems like Linux is supposed to be the primary operating system on these machines and not AmigaOS. All of the announcements seem to be about Linux. Funny, I thought these things were supposed to be Amiga computers.
No, Linux isn't the primary operating system on AmigaOnes. It's the second operating system. It should only offer further possibilities. Maybe it could replace an additional PC or Mac. Linux source code is open so there aren't any secrets. All good and bad things can be announced. OS4.1 is a closed operating system so there aren't so much announcements but the OS4 developers work much more than us. I hope you understand what I mean. ;-)

Christian

A-EON Core Linux Support Team
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.